A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To buy or not to buy?

We are considering buying a 2011 Audi A8L for $22k that has 71k miles. The car had two prior owners and based on Carfax it had been in one minor front end accident. The Interior and exterior is in impeccable shape. We have never owned an Audi and are nervous about potential near future expenses due to the high miles. We feel it’s a great deal for an Audi but would like some feedback from other Audi owners. Thoughts?
Old 08-04-2018, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I wished I'd have sold/traded mine earlier I can tell you that. There very beautiful and very expensive cars to maintain. If you're worried about cost to maintain when high miles look elsewhere. The 8 does not wear well with miles IMO.

They are not worth much when you get over 100K miles for a reason. I have 124,000 on mine now and will run it out as long as I can now as its worthless $ wise. Its turned into a money pit off of CPO warranty. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I'll tell you that we'll never own another another Audi again after having many of them. Only 1 actual good one out of 5 for us tells you why.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Schoff54
We are considering buying a 2011 Audi A8L for $22k that has 71k miles. The car had two prior owners and based on Carfax it had been in one minor front end accident. The Interior and exterior is in impeccable shape. We have never owned an Audi and are nervous about potential near future expenses due to the high miles. We feel it’s a great deal for an Audi but would like some feedback from other Audi owners. Thoughts?
There is rarely such a thing as a minor front end accident in one of these cars. Being aluminum, they require special tooling and facilities to perform a lasting repair. There are also camera and sensors that do all sorts of things. Make sure you do a thorough assessment of these systems and understand how they work before you commit to a purchase. You can also spend a few hundred and get an independent inspection completed that will include paint metering around the car.

The mileage doesn’t necessarily scare me, but I’ve been in S8s for more than a decade. I know what to expect. That doesn’t mean it isn’t painful at times. Repairs are more than you may be used too, but these are amongst the finest automobiles made. They are high performance machines with tight tolerances. There’s no way around it. You will spend more to keep an A8 on the road than a Lexus or Toyota or Honda. Period. Consumables are also expensive. Tires, gas, brakes... in that order in my case on my 2013.

If your are looking for simple and reliable transportation from A to B, there are other more cost effective ways to accomplish that. But if you love these cars, as I do, it’s worth it. It is to me anyway. You just have to go in with eyes wide open and some money in the bank to cover the inevitable costs.

What engine does your 2011 have? The 4.2 is a very reliable engine. Nearly as reliable as the sunrise. I don’t think the 4.0 was offered that year which is far and away he most expensive to maintain and repair. 2011 being the first model year for this car in the US might be a concern, but I believe the D4 was sold in Europe as a 2010 model so teething issues should have been resolved.

Lastly, spend some time on this board and look through the history. There’s much knowledge and wisdom to be gained.