A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can we talk?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 04:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Can we talk?

Ok, I've been on forums before and this one needs some adrenaline! So as a new owner (they have my deposit)there are several questions and random thoughts I'd like to throw out.

1) (in no particular order)- Why is there NO storage space in this vehicle?

2) What's gonna break first?

3) Does the rear seat entertainment accept BluRay? It should at these prices.

4) What's your favorite thing about your A8

5) What needs to be improved?

6) Is the 370+ BPH really enough for this car as a daily driver?

7) What's your favorite color combination?

8) B&O Sound System @ 6300 bucks- A total waste of money?
(I'm happy it was not in my CPO option list)

9) Solar Sunroof (it was) Does it work or just silly?

10) Night Vision- I have had the pleasure of hitting deer twice in the Northern Westchester area. One did $18K damage to an RL, and the other under $1K to a Honda. WILL I be able to avoid or see deer with the night vision?

11) I was thinking about buying a new A7 and then this CPO A8 fell in my lap and I jumped. Yes, they are different but then not by much in many forms. Do you think I made the right choice?

12) How long have you had your A8, and do you still love it?

So, Answer what you like and let the FUN begin.

Best,
Rob
Old 11-07-2011, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 722 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by editor58
Ok, I've been on forums before and this one needs some adrenaline! So as a new owner (they have my deposit)there are several questions and random thoughts I'd like to throw out.

10) Night Vision- I have had the pleasure of hitting deer twice in the Northern Westchester area. One did $18K damage to an RL, and the other under $1K to a Honda. WILL I be able to avoid or see deer with the night vision?

11) I was thinking about buying a new A7 and then this CPO A8 fell in my lap and I jumped. Yes, they are different but then not by much in many forms. Do you think I made the right choice?

So, Answer what you like and let the FUN begin.

Best,
Rob
1- Trunk is a bit small, but there's a fair amount of side panel storage area there. Interior storage IMO is adequate for my needs. Rear armrest storage is useful, as is the storage compartment behind the rear armrest. Would be better if the door armrest compartments fit my iPhone.

2-Had the car since late March, and nothing's broken yet (knock on wood). My dealer's early 2011 demo car had a broken sunglass holder, so I guess there's something to look for.

3-Don't have; don't know.

4- Really love the individual drive select options, especially dynamic steering coupled with the way the sports differential keeps my car planted on tight curves.

Additional likes: the interior, especially the comfort seats and the improvement in seat massage and ventilation functions; absolutely love the rear seat comfort package---although I don't get to sit back there; like the smoothness of the 8-speed tranny; was initially lukewarm about the car's exterior design, but have grown to appreciate the angular lines---and if you know your Audis, you really can't mistake the A8's rear for an A4. Absolutely love the LED headlamps---their styling impact on the car's front design, as well as their illumination. Also like the way the Panorama Rear Sunroof brightens the interior and adds increased ventilation.

5- IMO the ACC could use some minor fine-tuning to smooth out it's stop-and-go traffic feel, but not a big complaint. Better 19-in. wheel style options would be nice. The Night Vision could be re-programmed to alert you to large animals like deer or moose. Don't really have many other complaints.

6-The engine is more than adequate, especially with the 8-speed transmission. Put the drive select engine/transmission setting in Dynamic, and you're flying with little effort---but even in normal mode, the car is very quick. We'll probably see the new 4.0L V8 with single turbo at 400-hp replacing the current 372-hp 4.2L V8 next year---but I'm not a big fan of turbo-charged engines. Had two prior Audis with the 2.7T twin-turbo engine, and don't miss the turbo lag.

7-Very subjective---don't really have a favorite color combo. IMO the D4 would look stunning if they offered a darker metallic grey. The Oolong Grey looks terrific in darker light, but IMO there's too much mud-brown when viewed in bright sunlight.

8-If you have a very sophisticated music ear and primarily listen to CDs or music from the julebox, the B&O might be worth the bucks---but for me, the Bose set up sounds great in the D4 cabin.

9-Those who reside in hot climates have, over the years, posted the solar sunroof's value. In the northeast, it's really not that important.

10-Yes, you'll be able to see deer up ahead of you with the Night Vision, but...it won't be much help when deer dart out in front of you from the side---just happened to me last Friday night when a deer jumped out from high marsh grass; luckily I was able to stop in time. Also, the dash cluster infrared display requires you to take your eyes off the road---I've tried lowering my seat position for a better split of the road/cluster display vision, but it was too uncomfortable for me. As I mentioned before, it would be better if they gave you the same audible and visual alarm capability for deer as you get for pedestrians and bicyclists.

11-Yes you absolutely made the right choice. The A7 is supposed to fall between the A8 and A6, but it's actually much closer in driving feel to the A6---same chassis and same engine. The A7 interior is virtually identical to the A6 (and actually lacks the comfort seats in the US), while IMO the A8's cabin is light years ahead in style and comfort.

12-Turned in my D3 A8L for the D4 A8L on March 27th, so I've had the car for 7 months now. Love it more today than when I first got it. Thought I really wanted a Panamera 4S, but am very happy I got the A8 instead. It's a terrific highway cruiser, and for a large car, loads of fun to scoot around town and back country roads. As my sales rep (who sells both Audi and Porsche) said to me when I was deciding between the A8 and the Pan 4S: "The Panamera feels and drives like a 4-door sports car, but you'll have to learn to live with a somewhat harsher ride and some interior noises" (which he knows I detest)..."The A8 is not as exciting to drive as the Porsche; it's quieter and it just does everything very well." He knows my sensibilities quite well and was absolutely correct on his assessment.

Rob---You'll enjoy the A8; you did good!!! :^)
Old 11-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the input. I believe so as well. I hope there are others who respond as you did. Audi watches these forums as does Mercedes and the rest. They quietly lurk about and develop a sense for what people like and dislike. So I see you are in NY,,, maybe there's a lunch in our future.
Best regards.
Rob
Old 11-08-2011, 12:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

It is ridiculously too little for a car of this caliber. Sure, we all know they buried the electronics in the trunk's side walls, but there's no excuse. The size of the trunk is a major disappointment, but I still am happy with my A8.

My ACC and Brake Assist failed at less than 6k.

Don't have, don't know" to quote an esteemed forum member...

One thing? Easy. Coming from a MB S500, the responsive handling

One thing? Not so easy, so in order of dislike: Trunk space, width of B and C pillars obstructing view, throttle lag upon acceleration.

Totally, but more is better so who's to say no to even more giddyup?

Why, the one I picked, silly boy...

To me it was, so I didn't order it. See #3 above DHDK (hey, a new acronym! We can call it the derfA8L-ism)

DHDK (very handy!)

and again DHDK, but when I put together my option list, I thought there'd be far more instances where I'd be distracted from the driving task by it, than the very rare instance (tho critically important, I grant you) where it WOULD have made THE difference. JMO (never humble, mind you).

Unquestionably! Enjoy the A8, and derfA8L nailed it in his response. There will be many more cars in your future!

Took delivery the Monday after Thanksgiving last year (one of the first in New England I believe, thank you Herb Chambers Audi, Burlington MA - (other than the demo they sold, with mileage on it, at MSRP a few days prior).
Do I "love" it - Actually, I'd say I only love my wife, (although she'll tell you I've placed the dog and my motorcycles higher on the totem pole that she). I enjoy this car immensely and very happy with it despite it's flaws...

Last edited by doctorharrison; 12-04-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 722 Likes on 508 Posts

"Esteemed", LOL, hardly...But I do like the credit for the derf-ism ;^))
Old 11-08-2011, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) (in no particular order)- Why is there NO storage space in this vehicle? - The car is big enough as is. I can get two golf bags in. What else do you need?

2) What's gonna break first? - I had a door controller and a trans sensor so far. With soooo much gadgetry on this car, I'm sure there will be an assortment of glitches.

3) Does the rear seat entertainment accept BluRay? It should at these prices - I agree but I bet you it won't...

4) What's your favorite thing about your A8 - The feel of quality and the fact that it is very low key about it. Most people have no idea which is what i prefer about my ride.

5) What needs to be improved? - In no particular order... more VAG-Com info, more forum support,(I came from an RS4 which has one of the best forum bases out there!), Bentley manuals would be nice, did I mention better forum support???

6) Is the 370+ BPH really enough for this car as a daily driver? - Plenty. I commute 120 miles a day so I get the joy of all sorts of conditions. That being said, has anyone complained they had to much power?

7) What's your favorite color combination? - Daytona Gray which Audi held back from offering to us. Without a doubt, the best exterior color they make.

8) B&O Sound System @ 6300 bucks- A total waste of money? - I have the B&O as mine came with it. I love it and I think it adds that one extra piece of exclusivity that only the well informed would even understand.

9) Solar Sunroof (it was) Does it work or just silly? - DHDK (Thanks Derf!)

10) Night Vision- I love it here in PA where all the deer have suicidal tendencies...

11) I was thinking about buying a new A7 and then this CPO A8 fell in my lap and I jumped. Yes, they are different but then not by much in many forms. Do you think I made the right choice? - I was in the same boat. I drove both and after that, it was a no-brain-er. I insisted however on a CPO as I wanted the extra warranty for all of the electronics.

12) How long have you had your A8, and do you still love it? I've had mine about 7 months and I like it more and more as time goes by. Remember, I came out of an RS4 so it was a big difference but I welcome the change for a few years. Good to give my left leg a break for a while...
Old 12-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Rob,

I can't answer your long list of questions, but appreciate the thought-provoking nature and reading the responses you've received. I'm about to spring for a 2011 Audi Corporate Fleet car in a week or so. Given the list of options on the car, the sticker was more than $100K. We've agreed on an out-the-door price of $74K. Seems like a reasonable deal to me, but would be interested what others have been able to get.

Previously owned a D3, a loaded L version, and loved the car. Gave it up a couple of years ago, and was waiting for the D4, but want a NWB this time.

Agree with other comments relative to the A7. The interior of the A8 is much better, IMO, than either the A7 or A6. Plus,the lack of massage seats on either was a deal breaker for me.

DB
Old 01-02-2012, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. For the size of the interior, I can't believe the lack of storage bins and size of the trunk. It's smaller than my son's TSX.

Probably some electronic item.

DHDK (Thanks Derf!)

I love the interior fit and finish, and those massaging, ventilated, heated seats.

At low throttle, there is definitely a lag in throttle response. This together with funny driver's side mirror makes lane changes a tricky proposition. (anyone else bothered by the driver's side mirror and the huge blind spot?)

It seems so, but more HP never hurt.

Mine of course, followed by Night Blue Pearl Effect/Nougat Brown

DHDK

DHDK

DHDK

A8 is in a different class then A7. So yes.

I better at only 2 weeks.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a way to edit your posts?
Old 01-03-2012, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

1) Why is there NO storage space in this vehicle?

*Seems to me that the interior storage is slightly better than the D3, however the trunk is a tad small. Since I don't do a whole lot of airport runs, or consistently haul multiple people to and from golf games, it is livable for my needs. If storage is an issue, a Q7 (or A7) are better options.

*Well, the MMI is fiddly, and I don't think all the bugs are quite worked out.

*The build quality is excellent, as is the attention to detail. Puts BMW and Mercedes to shame (at least until the new S550 is released)

*Throttle response. Even in 'Sport' mode, there is a perceivable lag in throttle response from a stop (about a 1/2 second). For a normally aspirated engine, this should not be the case. I've learned to adjust my driving to accommodate this lag.

*Yes. It is plenty quick. I had an 2009 BMW 750i with over 400hp, and this A8 is actually quicker. It doesn't FEEL faster, but the numbers do not lie.

*Quartz Grey with nougat. Second is Dark Blue with nougat.

*It depends. Is a 70" television a total waste of money, when a 12" television provides the same substantive experience? Let's put it like this, if you merely 'enjoy' listening to tunes or talk radio, then YES, the B&O is overkill. However, if you are a music aficionado, then the B&O is a luxury worth having. It IS Better than the Bose system, and I closely cross-compared them. The Bose system is still fantastic, however the B&O is probably the closest thing to live performance I have ever heard (more dramatic with music that it not over processed like today's pop and rock).

*Had it on D3 and on D4. I see no value. I don't like a transparent sunroof, so this fits the bill, but there is no discernible improvement in cabin air quality to me.

*This night vision seems like a waste. It doesn't allow for active alerts unless ambient temp is over about F 75 degrees. Then, the view placement between the instruments is a bit silly because if you are looking down then your eyes are off the road. Lastly, I don't get any audible alerts with either people or animals (even with temp below 75). To improve this, I think Audi needs make this a heads-up display instead, as well as allowing for more in-your-face type alerts akin to 'Top-Gun' targeting. Otherwise, what is the point of turning it on!?

*If you value luxury, then the A8 is the clear winner. If you want a bit more youthful sportiness with greater hauling capacity, then the A7 may fit the bill. Everytime you turn around, both the A8 and the A7 are winning Car of the Year in their respective segments. So I suppose you would call this a no-lose decision.

*Have had it for 5 months. Love it. Getting in this car everyday is like putting on a favorite pair of gloves. It feels right. I also love the fact that it doesn't top out the prestige-o-meter, but yet is at the very top in terms of quality and performance. I just smirk everytime I pull up to an S550.