A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay module install

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 424 Likes on 302 Posts

Yep, from your phone's home screen swipe right. At the top you will see a Search option:

Start typing Carplay and it will appear - Select the Carplay settings option:

You will be brought here, I think it is the second entry:

Then add/remove/reposition apps like normal:

Last edited by DallasDave; 02-04-2021 at 09:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Golan Remi (08-26-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks! One last (I promise, at least for today) question. Seems that about every other time I get into the car I have no audio. Yes, source is "external" and the non-OEM AMI cable is always attached in the center console. I have to turn off Apple Car Play on my phone and back on again with the slider, then suddenly it works.
Anyone else having the audio work infrequently after startups? Once it works it's fine.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Shield
Thanks! One last (I promise, at least for today) question. Seems that about every other time I get into the car I have no audio. Yes, source is "external" and the non-OEM AMI cable is always attached in the center console. I have to turn off Apple Car Play on my phone and back on again with the slider, then suddenly it works.
Anyone else having the audio work infrequently after startups? Once it works it's fine.
i had this issue until I turned off the Audi MMI Bluetooth for audio in the MMI menu. It’s like my phone was connected to both audio sources and it caused me to have to do exactly what you are experiencing.
DallasDave (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yep, that's in the installation instructions. You MUST turn off the MMI Bluetooth.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiS8man
i had this issue until I turned off the Audi MMI Bluetooth for audio in the MMI menu. It’s like my phone was connected to both audio sources and it caused me to have to do exactly what you are experiencing.
Problem with that though is I'll lose the ability to see my phone contacts in the MMI, right? It's nice to see my list of contacts and hit call. Plus, I tried calling my wife - the volume was ok, but the Bluetooth quality was not good. She asked if I'd switched to a Radio Shack Bluetooth. Well she didn't, but could have.
Also also, I can't figure out what the heck the wifi is for exactly if the CarPlay is using Bluetooth. Also the setting for "use car's bluetooth" in the menu. I realize I said no more questions, but you guys are some smart fellers. :_)
Old 02-04-2021, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Problem with that though is I'll lose the ability to see my phone contacts in the MMI, right? It's nice to see my list of contacts and hit call. Plus, I tried calling my wife - the volume was ok, but the Bluetooth quality was not good. She asked if I'd switched to a Radio Shack Bluetooth. Well she didn't, but could have.
Also also, I can't figure out what the heck the wifi is for exactly if the CarPlay is using Bluetooth. Also the setting for "use car's bluetooth" in the menu. I realize I said no more questions, but you guys are some smart fellers. :_)
you only disable the bluetooth audio portion in the Audi MMI. It’s an option under the telephone menu. You leave the MMI Bluetooth phone turned on. WiFi is part of how CarPlay transmits the data from iPhone and works wirelessly in all cars that have wireless CarPlay. It’s alway on in the background. You want use car Bluetooth on so calls use the Audi MMI instead of the CarPlay box. It just sounds better and eliminates the echo people complain about.
Shield (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

+1 to what AudiS8man said. Plus WiFi connection should give better media quality. If I turn off my phone's BT, I still connect to Carplay wirelessly.
Shield (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys. Need some time to figure it all out. I didn't get any instructions for some reason.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you guys have "use car's phone bluetooth on or off" in the Wakaa menu? I think it's turned off by default. If anyone has an online manual I'm sure I can follow along.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you guys have "use car's phone bluetooth on or off" in the Wakaa menu? I think it's turned off by default. If anyone has an online manual I'm sure I can follow along.
There is no manual. Trial and error. I used whichever one sounded better. Honestly neither really made any drastic change for me. Just like the loudness setting in the audio menu really did nothing either.
Shield (02-05-2021)

Quick Reply: CarPlay module install