A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra for the hood

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Clear Bra for the hood

Hallo,
I was wondering if anybody has installed any clear bra on the hood of the new Audi A8? I have read many reviews about different brands available. The Ventureshield Ultra from 3M seems to be a good one. Also was thinking to put a protective clear Bra (same brand)on the head lights.
Any ideas?

Thank you,
Old 02-08-2014, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by abarmard
Hallo,
I was wondering if anybody has installed any clear bra on the hood of the new Audi A8? I have read many reviews about different brands available. The Ventureshield Ultra from 3M seems to be a good one. Also was thinking to put a protective clear Bra (same brand)on the head lights.
Any ideas?

Thank you,
Go with Nano-Fusion®. This Paint Protection Film is produced by CCL Design. Was produced by Avery Dennison but CCL bought the Avery division that made it mid-last year. Nano-Fusion has the best overall stain resistance, abrasion resistance, and installability/comforability in the market. Depending on the color of your A8, you may want to go with full hood coverage to eliminate the PPF edge which can be quite visible, particularly on white or light colors.

You can use the same Nano-Fusion film on the headlights for scratch & abrasion resistance. The Nano-Fusion is just over 6 mils (0.006") thick and there are thicker flexible clear vinyl (PVC) films on the market just for headlights that offer more impact protection. For most environments, the same PPF product does an excellent job of protecting the headlights.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default X-PEL ?

Originally Posted by gb4.2
Go with Nano-Fusion®. This Paint Protection Film is produced by CCL Design. Was produced by Avery Dennison but CCL bought the Avery division that made it mid-last year. Nano-Fusion has the best overall stain resistance, abrasion resistance, and installability/comforability in the market. Depending on the color of your A8, you may want to go with full hood coverage to eliminate the PPF edge which can be quite visible, particularly on white or light colors.

You can use the same Nano-Fusion film on the headlights for scratch & abrasion resistance. The Nano-Fusion is just over 6 mils (0.006") thick and there are thicker flexible clear vinyl (PVC) films on the market just for headlights that offer more impact protection. For most environments, the same PPF product does an excellent job of protecting the headlights.
Thank you for your reply,
I was unable to find an installer that sells Nano-Fusion in Charlotte, NC area but there is a place called Pro-tint and they have X-Pel. They are asking for $980 for part of the hood, mirrors, front bumper, head lights and part of the front wings. It seems to me to be a little too expensive in the other hand I am trying to protect a car with a 100K window sticker!
Old 02-10-2014, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I was unable to find an installer that sells Nano-Fusion in Charlotte, NC area but there is a place called Pro-tint and they have X-Pel. They are asking for $980 for part of the hood, mirrors, front bumper, head lights and part of the front wings. It seems to me to be a little too expensive in the other hand I am trying to protect a car with a 100K window sticker!
Not sure how long you plan to keep your Audi but, depending on its color, the X-Pel product is known to discolor (yellow) rather quickly over time compared to many other PPF products on the market. The discoloration will definitely show up first on light colors like white or silver. Also, $980 seems like a very high price for the coverage you outlined. You might want to look around a bit more.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Assuming you are being quoted for Xpel Ultimate (and not one of their lesser films), the price is about right - the Ultimate is more expensive than other films due to its advanced design - it's the only film on the market that has it's own clearcoat and self healing properties. The Ultimate does not yellow. In fact, Xpel warranties the film and labor for 10 years including yellowing, longer than any other film on the market.

The only thing I would suggest is to go further and cover the complete hood and front fenders with wrapped edges. While it will run more, there will be no unsightly seams to catch wax build up and will provide improved protection against rock chips. The Xpel Ultimate is the best "mod" I've done to my A6 and after 20 months, looks as good as new with not one rock chip to be seen. Go for it - it will be worth every penny.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Assuming you are being quoted for Xpel Ultimate (and not one of their lesser films), the price is about right - the Ultimate is more expensive than other films due to its advanced design - it's the only film on the market that has it's own clearcoat and self healing properties. The Ultimate does not yellow. In fact, Xpel warranties the film and labor for 10 years including yellowing, longer than any other film on the market.

The only thing I would suggest is to go further and cover the complete hood and front fenders with wrapped edges. While it will run more, there will be no unsightly seams to catch wax build up and will provide improved protection against rock chips. The Xpel Ultimate is the best "mod" I've done to my A6 and after 20 months, looks as good as new with not one rock chip to be seen. Go for it - it will be worth every penny.
Yes, the quote is for Xpel Ultimate. I will definitely consider that. By the way, I also thought about tinting the windows, any thoughts on that?
Thank you,
A.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also thought about tinting the windows, any thoughts on that?
Max legal in NC (35% I think) makes the vehicle look extra sharp.

SunStoppers in Concord did both my D3 and D4.
I got a SunTek CXP carbon film from what I can tell from receipt - basically told them I wanted the best they had.

$250 and they did such a good job even the dealer can't tell it's not factory.
Highly recommend them.

Audi recommended them to me and they do most of the high end dealership work around here.

Last edited by jakematic; 02-11-2014 at 05:17 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
Max legal in NC (35% I think) makes the vehicle look extra sharp.

SunStoppers in Concord did both my D3 and D4.
I got a SunTek CXP carbon film from what I can tell from receipt - basically told them I wanted the best they had.

$250 and they did such a good job even the dealer can't tell it's not factory.
Highly recommend them.

Audi recommended them to me and they do most of the high end dealership work around here.
Did you do all the windows for $250? This is a great price.
Sun stoppers in Matthews Charged me $500 4 years ago on my D3.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you do all the windows for $250? This is a great price.
Sun stoppers in Matthews Charged me $500 4 years ago on my D3.
Every piece of glass except the windshield.
Apparently they can do that too, or at least the top part with some anti-glare kind.

Pulled out the receipt for the D3 and it was $380 including removing the SC black out tint that was on it.
Matthews is high dollar fancy - go to the 'country' and get it done cheaper

It's right on 29 just south of the old K-Mart.
Tell them you were referred by another Audi guy and maybe get a discount.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
Every piece of glass except the windshield.
Apparently they can do that too, or at least the top part with some anti-glare kind.

Pulled out the receipt for the D3 and it was $380 including removing the SC black out tint that was on it.
Matthews is high dollar fancy - go to the 'country' and get it done cheaper

It's right on 29 just south of the old K-Mart.
Tell them you were referred by another Audi guy and maybe get a discount.
I will get it done once the weather aloows. I also decided to go with Xpel Ultimate clear Bra for the whole front and head lights. Pro-Tint in Kannapolis does it. They have excellent reviews online.
Thank you again.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra for the hood