A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compatible oil dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Compatible oil dipstick?

Does anyone know if Audi makes an oil dipstick compatible with 4.2L V8 on D4 A8? I noticed that there is just a plug where oil dipstick should be.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try ECS tuning. They may have.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by no cell
Try ECS tuning. They may have.
First place I tried. They have a dipstick for B8 S5 with 4.2l V8, but did not know whether that dipstick would be compatible with the 4.2l V8 on D4 A8.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone could be a guinea pig and try one right after an oil change. Worst case is you would have to make a corrected mark.
I'm sure the dealer has some sort of dipstick they use for service work?
Perhaps there is a part # for it?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is part #16 what you are looking for ?

http://www.audiusaparts.com/parts/20...gramCallOut=16
Old 02-03-2012, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just placed my order. I will be the guinea pig...
Old 02-03-2012, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Big Hank
Just placed my order. I will be the guinea pig...
Thanks.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dip stick

Originally Posted by xradman
Thanks.
Hear1 Hear!

(Please also give the full length of the stick to the neck.)
Old 02-06-2012, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

HOUSTON...We Have a Problem...
Below is a reply I received from the folks at AudiUSAParts.com:

Got your email and your message with regards to the electric oil level system. The part you originally put in your cart was also a plug, for a European 6 Cylinder Diesel engine (the picture actually shows a dipstick but it is still only a plug per application). As for getting a “real” dipstick for your A8 it might be tricky since all the newer A8’s are coming with the electronic read out and all the older A8’s with dipsticks are a different 4.2L engine—so not interchangeable.
Now in the new A4/A5/Q5 3.2L, with electronic oil sensing, everyone is using the 3.2L TT dipsticks for checking, problem is we don’t know what application, if there is one, to use for the new A8’s yet. We do sell the tool gauge that our Technicians use to read all the newer models, it $176.51 plus freight. The good news is it is very accurate and you can set it specifically for your car, where on the 3.2L models you have to remark the dipstick to work in the electric system. This tool, and any dipstick you find, cannot be run in the car it can only be used for checking as it is a sealed system.
We will go ahead and cancel the order, you might try the Audi blogs to see if anyone has found something they can use for the CDRA 4.2L engine other than the OEM tool gauge. Thank you for trying, good luck—if hear anything on this end we will give you a holler.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Big Hank
HOUSTON...We Have a Problem...
Below is a reply I received from the folks at AudiUSAParts.com:

Got your email and your message with regards to the electric oil level system. The part you originally put in your cart was also a plug, for a European 6 Cylinder Diesel engine (the picture actually shows a dipstick but it is still only a plug per application). As for getting a “real” dipstick for your A8 it might be tricky since all the newer A8’s are coming with the electronic read out and all the older A8’s with dipsticks are a different 4.2L engine—so not interchangeable.
Now in the new A4/A5/Q5 3.2L, with electronic oil sensing, everyone is using the 3.2L TT dipsticks for checking, problem is we don’t know what application, if there is one, to use for the new A8’s yet. We do sell the tool gauge that our Technicians use to read all the newer models, it $176.51 plus freight. The good news is it is very accurate and you can set it specifically for your car, where on the 3.2L models you have to remark the dipstick to work in the electric system. This tool, and any dipstick you find, cannot be run in the car it can only be used for checking as it is a sealed system.
We will go ahead and cancel the order, you might try the Audi blogs to see if anyone has found something they can use for the CDRA 4.2L engine other than the OEM tool gauge. Thank you for trying, good luck—if hear anything on this end we will give you a holler.
Thanks for trying. Audi is seemingly making this much tougher than it has to be.

Quick Reply: Compatible oil dipstick?