A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder Deactivation - 2014 S8

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mgiannetto
Deerhunter, Would you mind doing a compare/contrast between the V8 S4 you had and the V6 S6 you have now. Would bne interested in your first hand perspective on how the two cars compare including the responsiveness of the motors.
Actually, my new car is the V8TT S6, but I don't mind doing a comparison.

The 4.2 litre V8 (port fuel injected, to differentiate it from the direct-injection successor) is a really sweet motor. It pulls cleanly from idle to its 7,000 rpm redline. No stumbles, no vibration, no bad habits. Stock, it's very quiet - there's no V8 rumble to speak of. It's also a very thirsty motor, but part of that is because of the short gearing . I did a few choice mods (ported intake manifold, manifold-back 2.5" exhaust and JHM tune) and that really woke the motor up. It's louder (in a good way), even more responsive and makes about 50 whp more that stock. Very entertaining to drive.

The 4.0 V8 twin-turbo in my S6 is the above motor, on steroids. Frankly, it doesn't really feel like a turbo motor, as there's no discernable lag - just a smooth torrent of torque from just off idle. It's a little quiet for my tastes, but full throttle blasts add a modicum of engine music and, ahem, a little excitement. Audi took everything that was great about the original motor and improved it, and it gets better mileage to boot. I would have to say that it's one of the world's great engines. I wonder what it would be like in a lighter car, like the R8?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Actually, my new car is the V8TT S6,
I love the V8TT side emblem instead of just V8T.

I wonder what it would be like in a lighter car, like the R8?
R8 curb weight is 3,605 lbs vs S6's 4,398 lbs can only spell more fun for me.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually, my new car is the V8TT S6, but I don't mind doing a comparison.

The 4.2 litre V8 (port fuel injected, to differentiate it from the direct-injection successor) is a really sweet motor. It pulls cleanly from idle to its 7,000 rpm redline. No stumbles, no vibration, no bad habits. Stock, it's very quiet - there's no V8 rumble to speak of. It's also a very thirsty motor, but part of that is because of the short gearing . I did a few choice mods (ported intake manifold, manifold-back 2.5" exhaust and JHM tune) and that really woke the motor up. It's louder (in a good way), even more responsive and makes about 50 whp more that stock. Very entertaining to drive.

The 4.0 V8 twin-turbo in my S6 is the above motor, on steroids. Frankly, it doesn't really feel like a turbo motor, as there's no discernable lag - just a smooth torrent of torque from just off idle. It's a little quiet for my tastes, but full throttle blasts add a modicum of engine music and, ahem, a little excitement. Audi took everything that was great about the original motor and improved it, and it gets better mileage to boot. I would have to say that it's one of the world's great engines. I wonder what it would be like in a lighter car, like the R8?
Thanks for the compare. Sorry, I was thinking about the engine in the supercharged A6 when I commented about it being a 6 cylinder. The S6 is an awesome car. Recently won a comparison with the E63 and the M5. It's on the list as well. Thanks for the added color.