A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D4 6.3L W12 Oil Change DIY Writeup

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Nice Videos

Very nice videos and information. My twenty five cents (inflation). I would never use a locking or sealing funnel on the W12. It is too easy to overfill these beasts. I use a small funnel at a sharp angle where I can monitor the bottom. I never let the oil depth get more than 8 to 10mm in depth while filling. Just not worth the risk.

I use 0-40 Mobil One on both the W8 and the W12. I have ran it in the W8 since 2002 with great results. The W8 has 320,000 miles and is the wife's daily driver. I wonder how many W8s are even left.

Old 01-06-2024, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Great video! Thanks for posting it. I am a W12 appreciator, and wouldn't mind owning one some day. We shall see...
Old 01-06-2024, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts

Big picture again, strong work on the video! Love the passion for W12 generally.

I am moving away from D bodies after this one. Audi seems to have sort of given up on ASF's. D5 didn't really do it for me, especially the lame multiyear start with the 3.0 only while 4.0T was slowly moved behind scenes to Porsche. Whole D5 launch was really botched with DieselGate too and never recovered, yet more so with SUV shift. Post V8 install a strong contender--for the luxo sedan buyer that is not really me after almost whole adult life with them.

OT on insurance at D body intersection: Also had a pretty scary first experience with ASF repair for even modest issues (edge of leading rear fender area). First one in 15 years of ASF vehicles. Part of my sabbatical from here as I reset to sober reality of a corner case body. Any prior stuff was basically just bolt on no different than a steel body in most respects other than separate tool sets and work areas perhaps for a proper shop. It's where I painfully learned basically the remaining aluminum world and a lot of the other car trades (tint, and wrap for that crowd, etc.) seem to have moved to the Tesla S and others, at least here in EV CA. Where the money falls out of owners' pockets as a stereotype. Even State Farm had no clue on ASF estimating and repairs. I found that bigger company was actually downside. My prior company was small so sort of inept too, but then used outside appraisers who knew the given car;. I moved companies due to unrelated fire insurance situation in CA. Because State Farm have a high opinion of themselves (not really supported by owner surveys) and supposed cost savings, they tried to do it via remote call centers and pictures. Almost laughable how bad and flawed it was. Correct estimate and repair approach was around 4x their ignorant ideas. Took them a month before they finally got an outside estimator who knew how to handle things beyond the Camry, Accord, appliance SUV's and F150's basically. Their own outside estimator basically told them their internal team was not competent on the car, AND issue was obvious even from even the first pictures in first 10 minutes if they understood ASF. Actually led to them reviewing approved ASF/aluminum shops to do pre-approved estimating, Even here in metro NorCal with 3+ million people they had NONE for when it came to any ASF Audi (not just R8 but apparently over to TT too). They ended up adopting the ASF certified shop I used for their pre-approved list.

I also approach it now more from empty nester side, so not the LWB that is now the only D5 play. My D3 W12 was with kids still at home. Likewise the Q8 instead of Q7 for me. I struggle with both a bit though too, because while particularly owners want to think of Q8's as somehow related to the D body because of the "8", it's really a C body derivative. First gen owners maybe stereotypically not my cup of tea either for Q8, and Q7's are heavy soccer mom and don't want to be caught dead in a minivan profile here. Net, through a series of steps though various 4.0T flavors of Audis and Cayennes and such, I wandered back to, hey what about that Bentayga? Then, wait, that's where the W12 still is (was). Pre-facelift I couldn't get past outside look either, but post it's better. Give it time and hard knock depreciation reality, and just maybe...

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-06-2024 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2024, 06:25 PM
W12 Aficionado

Received 620 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew12
I would never use a locking or sealing funnel on the W12.
I always use locking but just monitor it and don’t let it accumulate in the funnel at all. Someone suggested filling through the dipstick tube, interesting suggestion and I don’t see why it wouldn’t work except for exceptionally slow fill
Old 01-06-2024, 07:08 PM
W12 Aficionado

Originally Posted by Andrew12
Very nice videos and information.
Originally Posted by chassis
Great video! Thanks for posting it.
Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Big picture again, strong work on the video!
Thanks for watching guys, really appreciate it, a lot.

Happy to see how many miles you have on the W8 Andrew, I don’t think there’s nearly as many as there once were. They’ve reaching the point of being so cheap that they’re disposable and a lot go to the junkyard

Chassis, I’m holding hope for you that you’ll have a W12, we need all the enthusiastic owners

MP, I think I’m there there with you. Even the way the Horch edition was phoned in with only some wheels, badges, pillows, grille and extra long wheelbase. The D5 spaceframe comment though I don’t quite follow. It’s only become better with a mix of materials to make it stiffer and lighter including Kevlar, carbon fiber and magnesium. From a repair cost perspective it’s not getting cheaper though
Old 01-06-2024, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 176 Likes on 135 Posts

professional to the T!
Old 01-07-2024, 05:40 AM
W12 Aficionado

Originally Posted by djfarhan
professional to the T!
Thanks my friend Welcome back by the way!
Old 01-07-2024, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 176 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 2turbos4rings
Thanks my friend Welcome back by the way!
Thanks buddy. hope all is well.