A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dynamic steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dynamic steering

The following paragraphs are included in the description of dynamic steering by Audi:

"The dynamic steering system cooperates closely with ESP in the vehicle dynamics and safety areas. It relieves the burden on the electronic stabilization program because a steering correction can be performed about three times faster than the time needed to build up pressure for a brake application. This ability to intervene so rapidly reduces the number of brake applications required, making overall progress smoother. Although the steering corrections are highly effective, the driver remains unaware of them in most cases, especially since no noise is generated.
In the event of over-steer following a sudden load reversal, the dynamic steering system can rectify the situation alone by turning the steering in the opposite direction. A brake application will not be made unless the angle of float becomes too great, and in most cases is only needed to suppress residual movement."

My service advisor cannot confirm this and I have not personally "felt" it.

Have you been told this? Have you experienced this?

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by blsching
The following paragraphs are included in the description of dynamic steering by Audi:

"The dynamic steering system cooperates closely with ESP in the vehicle dynamics and safety areas. It relieves the burden on the electronic stabilization program because a steering correction can be performed about three times faster than the time needed to build up pressure for a brake application. This ability to intervene so rapidly reduces the number of brake applications required, making overall progress smoother. Although the steering corrections are highly effective, the driver remains unaware of them in most cases, especially since no noise is generated.
In the event of over-steer following a sudden load reversal, the dynamic steering system can rectify the situation alone by turning the steering in the opposite direction. A brake application will not be made unless the angle of float becomes too great, and in most cases is only needed to suppress residual movement."

My service advisor cannot confirm this and I have not personally "felt" it.

Have you been told this? Have you experienced this?

Thanks.
If this is the case, my jaw is dropping right now and hitting the floor.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

Have never heard about this before. Nothing like this is mentioned in my owner's manual. Have not felt this in my car either, so if it has been activated, it's been beyond my ability to sense it.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

This is where it would be nice to have the skid pad like they have at the Performance Driving Center at the BMW plant in Spartanburg, SC. A great way to test that out safely.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would like to meet the engineer who wrote that paragraph. Maybe in Deutsch it might make sense.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's some info in the attached PDF.

I think dynamic steering is an option in the A8 Sport Plus package in the US, so you may not have it.

But apparently, the standard electric power steering can also be controlled by the ESP in emergency situations. The difference from dynamic steering is, in this case, the steering wheel will also move because it is fixed to the steering rack.
Attached Files
Old 08-06-2013, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by newmoon
Here's some info in the attached PDF.

I think dynamic steering is an option in the A8 Sport Plus package in the US, so you may not have it.

But apparently, the standard electric power steering can also be controlled by the ESP in emergency situations. The difference from dynamic steering is, in this case, the steering wheel will also move because it is fixed to the steering rack.
Not sure the info in your attachment is applicable to the A8, since the A8 doesn't utilize "electric" power steering---D4's use a hydraulic system. My car actually does have the dynamic steering feature; it came with the rear sports differential option (Audi Drive Select Plus package) that was offered in the 2011 model year.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you google SSP 992803, you should be able to find the complete document. It was for the 2009 A4 which had hydraulic power steering.

There are also videos on youtube:

Old 08-07-2013, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by newmoon
If you google SSP 992803, you should be able to find the complete document. It was for the 2009 A4 which had hydraulic power steering.

There are also videos on youtube:

2011 Audi Dynamic Steering - YouTube
Thanks Newmoon. "SSP 992803" makes it rather clear on over/under -steering situations. Still the questions remain: Is it implemented in the D$ with dynamic steering? Has anyone actually experienced it?
Old 08-07-2013, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Not sure the info in your attachment is applicable to the A8, since the A8 doesn't utilize "electric" power steering---D4's use a hydraulic system. My car actually does have the dynamic steering feature; it came with the rear sports differential option (Audi Drive Select Plus package) that was offered in the 2011 model year.
It is the harmonic drive mechanism in the steering column that is controlled/driven electrically.

Quick Reply: dynamic steering