A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enable Efficiency Program on D4 A8?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
I did notice she is more reluctant to downshift but not much else so far.

My picture really shows the scratches on my speedometer cover. Who does this crap? Looks like the previous owner tried to clean with some steel wool... In person it's not as noticeable but still. Probably not possible to polish this out.

Edit: Maybe I will try the toothpaste trick.
Ugh, the instrument cover seems to be made out of the world's softest plastic. The PO (or dealer) scratched mine up as well. I spent probably 45 minutes buffing it with plastic polish, auto paint compound, and auto paint polish. It's a little better but still looks crappy if the sun hits directly.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts

Plastic polish. And yes, super soft--they have been like that for several generations. Basically, if anyone uses a detailing rag on it that is not both soft and also totally pristine, it will scratch it. Any clown at a car wash or dealer detailing can mess it up in seconds if the rag has already been dragged around the car. I try to clean mine with an air nozzle, and if I have to wipe it then (soft) Kleenex or a computer screen clean towel type thing. Same for MMI display. If there are scratches, then yes the clear plastic polish is what I use to try to improve some.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Efficiency program can be activated for more recent ones at least, and is on top of cylinder on demand (COD). How to is buried very deep in the "old"/lengthy Audizine C7 VCDS mods thread. It is not included/active in the U.S. spec models. Not sure if you can activate it on one without COD, and not sure about pre-vs. post facelift split. That is, COD may be a pre-requisite. But it is more than just COD. It affects the various systems that the other MMI settings do (Comfort, Auto, Sport), but in a different mix and match combination. May also affect a few other things like A/C cooling strategy and coast down shifting.

Level of detailed info and knowledge about it here is low as best I can tell. I asked about it in the past, and likewise got very limited information. It is used in Europe, but I couldn't find much info there either, albeit searching only in English.
Thanks for the response. However I was talking about the efficiency program shown on the instrument cluster, not the efficiency mode in MMI.Like the one tells you what components are consuming gas etc. I remember enable it on B8 A4 under instrument cluster mode through VCDS, but A8 seems different than A4.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. Can't believe Audi didn't use the best technology on its flagship, but rather using on A6 & A7
Old 09-06-2017, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Lonewolf95
Thanks for the response. However I was talking about the efficiency program shown on the instrument cluster, not the efficiency mode in MMI.Like the one tells you what components are consuming gas etc. I remember enable it on B8 A4 under instrument cluster mode through VCDS, but A8 seems different than A4.
Doesn't really exist on D4 in that form AFAIK. I know what it is from having that display in Q5. Q5 and B8 A4 (and 5) all have same basic electronics set up. And honestly, after the novelty passes, hardly ever Q5 switch display to it. Differences from D4 relate to generations in which electronics were rev'ed probably, and mid life refresh on Q5 for example was 2013. A6/7 is also on a slightly later cycle than D4, and they did move mid life rev's to it. D5 launch got delayed for combo of TDI debacle and having to up game with the Tesla's and others of the world, so the D4 older tech has had to soldier on longer than they earlier planned.

What you do find on D4 display wise is the bar graph that shows current fuel consumption. It also tells you whether cylinder on demand is active or not based on display color, and it has a subtle display when engine deceleration is back feeding the battery via alternator drag in sort of a micro hybrid set up w/out a special battery pack or power unit.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-06-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Doesn't really exist on D4 in that form AFAIK. I know what it is from having that display in Q5. Q5 and B8 A4 (and 5) all have same basic electronics set up. And honestly, after the novelty passes, hardly ever Q5 switch display to it. Differences from D4 relate to generations in which electronics were rev'ed probably, and mid life refresh on Q5 for example was 2013. A6/7 is also on a slightly later cycle than D4, and they did move mid life rev's to it. D5 launch got delayed for combo of TDI debacle and having to up game with the Tesla's and others of the world, so the D4 older tech has had to soldier on longer than they earlier planned.

What you do find on D4 display wise is the bar graph that shows current fuel consumption. It also tells you whether cylinder on demand is active or not based on display color, and it has a subtle display when engine deceleration is back feeding the battery via alternator drag in sort of a micro hybrid set up w/out a special battery pack or power unit.
Oh thank you. I understand A8 and A4/5 are different. It's just I saw it on the owners' manual. So you are saying it's not enabled on D4?
Old 09-06-2017, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
I did notice she is more reluctant to downshift but not much else so far.

My picture really shows the scratches on my speedometer cover. Who does this crap? Looks like the previous owner tried to clean with some steel wool... In person it's not as noticeable but still. Probably not possible to polish this out.

Edit: Maybe I will try the toothpaste trick.
I noticed the same thing on my 1 year old A8... right after the dealership got hold of it. It looks exactly like yours and slightly worse in direct sun light.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Lonewolf95
Oh thank you. I understand A8 and A4/5 are different. It's just I saw it on the owners' manual. So you are saying it's not enabled on D4?
Yes, AFAIK. May be in owner's manual, but not in actual car. At least not in North America spec ones. You would think it would be a VCDS tweak to display it, but I don't recall seeing a coding mod for it. Anyone?
Old 09-10-2017, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, AFAIK. May be in owner's manual, but not in actual car. At least not in North America spec ones. You would think it would be a VCDS tweak to display it, but I don't recall seeing a coding mod for it. Anyone?
Okay I see. Surprises me how Audi treats North American differently haha