A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Cutouts - Comprehensive Review & Sound Comparison (D4 S8)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Today I ran the e46 323i without the whole exhaust.
Actually, I was impressed how not loud those engines are. It was pretty mild and it sounded amazing.
When idling, was a bit too rough, like big diesel truck idling without muffler (many here in this country).

So, I will consider one of those rpm-activated switches, just for fun.

For the A8 (S8 rather, in your case), did you also remove the resonators?

I looked at all sorts of cutout offerings in eBay and Amazon.
Down to QTP and Granatelli for quality and longevity. Both at $190 for one, and $320 for two.
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (04-11-2021)
Old 03-19-2020, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyvind Mondragon
Today I ran the e46 323i without the whole exhaust.
Actually, I was impressed how not loud those engines are. It was pretty mild and it sounded amazing.
When idling, was a bit too rough, like big diesel truck idling without muffler (many here in this country).

So, I will consider one of those rpm-activated switches, just for fun.

For the A8 (S8 rather, in your case), did you also remove the resonators?

I looked at all sorts of cutout offerings in eBay and Amazon.
Down to QTP and Granatelli for quality and longevity. Both at $190 for one, and $320 for two.
I removed baby resonators and suitcase resonator and replaced with x-pipe, all of which I did before the cutouts.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

2014 S8 with Granatelli exhaust cutouts. Otherwise, completely stock. No tune.

The following 2 users liked this post by survyor2:
09S5 (03-28-2021), healthnut76 (01-30-2021)
Old 07-11-2020, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by survyor2
2014 S8 with Granatelli exhaust cutouts. Otherwise, completely stock. No tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH0t0DOGuEk
Sounds great!
Old 01-30-2021, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by healthnut76
I removed baby resonators and suitcase resonator and replaced with x-pipe, all of which I did before the cutouts.
Which X-Pipe did you purchase to replace these? I've now done QTP cutouts, and just find them "not enough".
Old 01-30-2021, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Shield
Which X-Pipe did you purchase to replace these? I've now done QTP cutouts, and just find them "not enough".
I had a shop custom make my x-pipe. I actually did the x-pipe before I did the cutouts, hoping that would be all I needed, but it wasn't nearly enough. Had I done the cutouts first, I either wouldn't have done an x-pipe at all or would have done a pre-fabricated one. I had been looking at Magnaflow's x-pipes.
09S5 (10-28-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by healthnut76
I had a shop custom make my x-pipe. I actually did the x-pipe before I did the cutouts, hoping that would be all I needed, but it wasn't nearly enough. Had I done the cutouts first, I either wouldn't have done an x-pipe at all or would have done a pre-fabricated one. I had been looking at Magnaflow's x-pipes.
I think had you done the cutouts first (and only), as I have, you'd still not be happy. That suitcase muffler in the middle, I think, knocks down a ton of noise. The guys at my muffler shop were stunned how quiet the car was with just the dual QTP cutouts done and wide-open. Going back Monday to do the suitcase muffler delete - in case there's a drone, will keep it in case I can't live with it. They're going to mod their own straight pipe - they said there's really no reason to do an X-pipe right there when dual straight pipes will do the same thing.
Good to hear from you - I have the A8 with the APR stage 1 tune (545 HP) and it's a blast to drive and carry folks around with all that rear room. I've watched your video about 20 times. I did the wiring myself for the QTP - on the right side you can drill a small hole in the spare tire wheelwell - I had purchased grommets, but it's plastic and weren't needed. Just 3 clipped wire ties and everything's neat and out of the way.

Last edited by Shield; 01-30-2021 at 08:21 AM.
09S5 (04-11-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Shield
I think had you done the cutouts first (and only), as I have, you'd still not be happy. That suitcase muffler in the middle, I think, knocks down a ton of noise. The guys at my muffler shop were stunned how quiet the car was with just the dual QTP cutouts done and wide-open. Going back Monday to do the suitcase muffler delete - in case there's a drone, will keep it in case I can't live with it. They're going to mod their own straight pipe - they said there's really no reason to do an X-pipe right there when dual straight pipes will do the same thing.
Good to hear from you - I have the A8 with the APR stage 1 tune (545 HP) and it's a blast to drive and carry folks around with all that rear room. I've watched your video about 20 times. I did the wiring myself for the QTP - on the right side you can drill a small hole in the spare tire wheelwell - I had purchased grommets, but it's plastic and weren't needed. Just 3 clipped wire ties and everything's neat and out of the way.
Nice work, sir! I hope the suitcase delete makes it sound just right for you. I believe it will.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I think tomorrow I will be removing the suitcase resonator, adding a custom x-pipe and leaving the factory valved mufflers in place. I think the closed cutout video clips in the original OP video sounds great with the valved mufflers in place and the resonator gone.... The cutout open and no resonator is just too loud. I think the wife will allow the sound of the suitcase resonator gone and the factory valved mufflers in place. I don't thing the inside sound will change much at all.

We will see!!!
09S5 (10-28-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Towma8r
I think tomorrow I will be removing the suitcase resonator, adding a custom x-pipe and leaving the factory valved mufflers in place. I think the closed cutout video clips in the original OP video sounds great with the valved mufflers in place and the resonator gone.... The cutout open and no resonator is just too loud. I think the wife will allow the sound of the suitcase resonator gone and the factory valved mufflers in place. I don't thing the inside sound will change much at all.

We will see!!!
If you want a rowdy option for yourself, seriously consider cutouts. Keep them closed for her, throw them open when you're alone.

Good luck!
Shield (02-06-2021)

Quick Reply: Exhaust Cutouts - Comprehensive Review & Sound Comparison (D4 S8)