A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Cutouts - Comprehensive Review & Sound Comparison (D4 S8)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Towma8r
Thank goodness for buddy with a exhaust shop..... after a few weeks with the exhaust cutouts I found myself really never using them...... wie hated them......... and I will say, I kinda did too....... So when I added the magnaflow mufflers and had the drone at high speed, I went back to my buddies shop and we kinds re-approached things........

I really love the exhaust tone, note and low growl of the magnaflows....... more than the opened up cutout sound....... So we went ahead an took out the cutouts and from the front baby resonators back, re-worked the exhaust... Custom X Pipe, then the high flow resonators, then through to the rear magnaflows........... i really like the sound....... its deep, has a great tone and not so obnoxious like so many of the straight piped mustangs or dodges that are everywhere.....

I am happy, trial and error but we landed on a sound that is unique, speaks bad a$$ low and mid range and gives a little head turn to those who roll next to it.....
Hey brother! any chance you can message me the video of how the car sounds! taking your cars twin into the shop tomorrow to remove the suitcase and do an Xpipe replacement! Any help would be greatly appreciated! I couldnt find a way to message you privately
Old 05-20-2021, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Abawi
Hey brother! any chance you can message me the video of how the car sounds! taking your cars twin into the shop tomorrow to remove the suitcase and do an Xpipe replacement! Any help would be greatly appreciated! I couldnt find a way to message you privately
I think once you hit a certain amount of post you can PM. .......... I can text you if you find a away to get me your #
Old 05-30-2021, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Finally, glad to find this post, quick question

I have a 2016 A8L 4.0T and love this post about exhaust customizing. Healthnut mentioned about using the homelink buttons to open and close the cutouts. I was wondering if you use these buttons for the cutouts can you no longer use the homelink buttons for the garage door opening?
Old 05-30-2021, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Great video!!! I have been looking for a way to customize my A8L but everything is for the S8. This is easy to complete and not expensive. Thanks for putting the time in and posting.
The following users liked this post:
healthnut76 (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by audivafan
I have a 2016 A8L 4.0T and love this post about exhaust customizing. Healthnut mentioned about using the homelink buttons to open and close the cutouts. I was wondering if you use these buttons for the cutouts can you no longer use the homelink buttons for the garage door opening?
​​​​​​Yes, if you use the Home Link buttons for the cutouts, they will no longer work for your garage door.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:03 PM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by healthnut76
​​​​​​Yes, if you use the Home Link buttons for the cutouts, they will no longer work for your garage door.
Do you have to use all three for the setup to work properly?
Old 05-31-2021, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by virtualrc
Do you have to use all three for the setup to work properly?
No, not at all. You'll need to use 2, one to open and one to close, but that will probably leave you one left over.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default homelink buttons for cutouts

No, not at all. You'll need to use 2, one to open and one to close, but that will probably leave you one left over.
Thanks for the reply Healthnut! At the beginning of this post where the parts were listed from the Summit racing website, the one listing was for I believe a remote control unit. Is this true? So you don't need to use the homelink buttons.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audivafan
Thanks for the reply Healthnut! At the beginning of this post where the parts were listed from the Summit racing website, the one listing was for I believe a remote control unit. Is this true? So you don't need to use the homelink buttons.
That's right, you don't have to use HomeLink. In fact, I use the remote that came with it, which I've mounted with double-sided tape to the side of the console. The HomeLink buttons didn't work reliably for me, for whatever reason.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default APR stage 1 ECU flash and cutouts

That's right, you don't have to use HomeLink. In fact, I use the remote that came with it, which I've mounted with double-sided tape to the side of the console. The HomeLink buttons didn't work reliably for me, for whatever reason.
I was wondering about something else I know doesn't directly relate to exhaust setups. I believe throughout this whole forum post I read about a few cars that have APR ECU stage 1 flashes. I would like to do this as well and wanted to get any feedback as to Stage 1 plus vs regular Stage 1. My understanding is the "plus" provides a warranty to the engine if any damage occurs due to the flash, but only allows for 91 octane use. The straight Stage 1 flash has no warranty but can do multiple octanes. Any comments?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Cutouts - Comprehensive Review & Sound Comparison (D4 S8)