A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EZ-Pass Mounting Location

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EZ-Pass Mounting Location

Can you mount EZ-Pass on the front windshield like in other cars or do you need to get an external transponder that goes on the front license plate? What are some other places on the car that I can mount the transponder that will work reliably and isn't distracting or ugly?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xradman
Can you mount EZ-Pass on the front windshield like in other cars or do you need to get an external transponder that goes on the front license plate? What are some other places on the car that I can mount the transponder that will work reliably and isn't distracting or ugly?

I mounted mine just to the right of the rear mirror mount, and at a height that the mirror itself completely obscures it from my view (though, not from my wife's, obviously). I have actually toyed with the idea of painting the forward side of it matte black to minimize its visibility from outside the car, but more important issues take precedence...

Last edited by doctorharrison; 12-24-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's where I mounted our toll tag too...

We forget it's there
Old 12-26-2011, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, but it really looks awful in that location. I was thinking that perhaps I can ziptie the external transponder behind the front grill somehow. Anyone try this?
Old 12-27-2011, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xradman
Thanks, but it really looks awful in that location.
"Awful"? My my Xradman, your words are hurtful. I'll be taking my A8 and you will not be seeing me at the Pancake Social tomorrow. Oh, who's the Neanderthal we let in here...?
Old 12-31-2011, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by doctorharrison
I mounted mine just to the right of the rear mirror mount, and at a height that the mirror itself completely obscures it from my view (though, not from my wife's, obviously). I have actually toyed with the idea of painting the forward side of it matte black to minimize its visibility from outside the car, but more important issues take precedence...
You could get one of those non slide pads and just leave it on your dash, go for the exterior black tag.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The exterior tag does not look anything like the interior one. It is black, it is very thin and mounts directly to the license plate frame so that it is virtually unnoticeable. Use tamper-proof screws, of course, to avoid theft. If you do not have a front plate or the mount for the front plate as many of you do not, I can't see any reason why it couldn't be mounted behind the grill, or even in the lower section somewhere.

But unless you are travelling through dozens of tolls a day, it might be easier to just leave it in the center compartment or door pocket and simply hold it up as you pass through.

Honestly, it would probably work from within the door pocket ... I can't imagine it being so sensitive that a couple of feet of difference would matter.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I put mine at the back edge of the sunroof, in the center. Works like a charm. Only issue is you have to remember to close the sunroof when you pass the toll. I like the symmetry of having it up there, and it out of sight 99% of the time.

d-
Old 01-06-2012, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by doctorharrison
I have actually toyed with the idea of painting the forward side of it matte black to minimize its visibility from outside the car...
My neighbor did something similar on his Porsche. He bought what looks like black carbon fiber sheet (I assume it was plastic, and just wrapped the outside facing portion of the ezpass. It is mounted just to the right of the rear view mirror. Form the outside, you can barely see it (as it is matte black). When you look more closely however, you see the cool looking carbon fiber which, to me, is a sporty touch.

I'll ask him where/how he did it, as I've been looking for a similar solution.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This has been bothering me since getting the D4 and the E-ZPass is absolutely hideous.

Found this neat little product on Amazon.

http://www.tonicconcepts.com/pages/about-us

Going to order one and see how it works.
Too bad it doesn't come in Titanium to match the vehicle

Quick Reply: EZ-Pass Mounting Location