A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EZ-Pass Mounting Location

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The back of that thing doesn't entirely cover the transponder, so you still have the white transponder visible from the outside. I wonder why they couldn't cover it all together with the thin plastic door or something.

I've experimented quite a bit with external transponder behind the front grill. It works about 50% of the time, so it's not reliable enough from that position. I've tried mounting it flat, sideways, upside down, center, left, and right and in all positions, signal is not strong enough to reliably get detected by all toll booths.

I am currently just carrying the external transponder in door side pocket and manually flashing it whenever I pass a toll booth. However with the hot lanes coming, I think I'm going to revert to windshield mounting the internal transponder. Perhaps painting the transponder black with/without the case will be best.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree on the white portion showing.
Their solution is black velcro, which would in my opinion break down pretty quickly in the sun.

Was toying with the idea of behind the grill, thanks for that heads up.

I'm thinking about just putting it in that case with the non-slip on the dash behind the MMI screen.
Concerns me someone might think it was a wallet and try to break in though.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My es-pass has always been on the right side of the rear view mirror and I usually don't see it. I had it placed on the dash using a non-slip pad and black leather cover, but the sunlight melted the non-slip cover, and damaged the dash in one of my cars, so now I bring the transponder out when going through the tolls.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that I know that my EZ-Pass which was meant to be attached to the front licence plate will work quite happily in the center console, with the lid closed, I would like to mount it out of site; preferably in the engine bay or under the front bumper. Any suggestions would be quite welcome.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe that you guys have to mount that clunky thing to your windshield! Here in Texas we just have a 4" x 4" thin white sticker that mounts to the right of the rear view mirror.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Similar in Washington State (except it's 4x1, and black); though there are a couple of different models to choose from.
System here will read your license plate, and assuming you have that plate registered to your account will take care of all tolls / gate opens etc.. Can add multiple plate numbers to a single account, which is handy in all kinds of ways, though a bit of a pain if you forget to remove a plate you're no longer using.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Black magic marker. U don't know it's there
Old 02-17-2016, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

We don't have tolls here in Montana. Also very few people, high speed limits, and few cops. Makes for a very enjoyable driving experience.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Seaclav
Similar in Washington State (except it's 4x1, and black); though there are a couple of different models to choose from.
System here will read your license plate, and assuming you have that plate registered to your account will take care of all tolls / gate opens etc.. Can add multiple plate numbers to a single account, which is handy in all kinds of ways, though a bit of a pain if you forget to remove a plate you're no longer using.
The Texas system will read license plates also, but you can only register one plate at a time on your account and it's only good for 45 days and then it expires. Only supposed to be used for rental cars, loaners, etc.--wish I could permanently register the plates on all of my motorcycles.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SWelsch
Black magic marker. U don't know it's there
I used electrical tape. I don't draw all that well.

Quick Reply: EZ-Pass Mounting Location