A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fell in love with Panamera for 30-minutes, then ordered an A8L

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 726 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Well done! Sounds like a nice configuration.

Honestly, if the ride of the Panamera was bugging you half an hour into a test drive, you don't need to question your decision. It would be a constant annoyance every time you got in the car.

I didn't drive the Panamera, the family would have ejected me from the nest. But in response to their pleas, I did drive the Cayenne S. I know it's a bit heavier than the Panamera, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the V8, hated the transmission (not the PDK that's in the PanS), and the fuel consumption was frightening. It did get better the harder I drove it, which is amazing for an SUV, but was ordinary at ordinary speeds.

I think you've made a good choice!
Well, I discovered late yesterday that the dealer made a mistake and gave us a non-air suspension Panamera to test drive. So the ride experience between the A8 and Pan was not realistic/accurate---and this factor was the only reason I decided on the A8. Dealer was very apologetic and cancelled the A8 order for me this morning. I'll drive an air suspension Panamera this coming Saturday, and if that's to my liking, will then have to evaluate if I like the Pan4 (V6)---probably not going to spring for the extra $$$ for the Pan4S V8.

If that doesn't work out, then I may just buy my '08 A8L and call it a day. The more I think about it, the D4 just isn't singing that sweetly to me anymore: some cheap plastic interior elements are turning me off, and I'm thinking that there's too much techno-crap loaded into the car for my taste.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 553 Likes on 374 Posts

It's bad luck you can't hang on for an A7, as the Pan4S will not be as quick as an A7 3.0 TFSI. And there is quite a lot more room in the A7.

Still, if the impending purchase doesn't instill a bit of passion, it's probably the wrong choice.

Watch out for the prices on those Porsche options!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, I could option a Pan4 at the same MSRP level as the A8L I was going to order---but get a smaller car w/o V8. That would be the price of passion for the Porsche, which makes the A8 look like a great value when emotion is removed from the equation.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Yes, I could option a Pan4 at the same MSRP level as the A8L I was going to order---but get a smaller car w/o V8. That would be the price of passion for the Porsche, which makes the A8 look like a great value when emotion is removed from the equation.
The Panamera4 is a lot of car for the money. When my D3 finally goes to the charity donor place (Estimated date: 2019) If the Panamera4's are still available I may be buying a 2 year old one or a 2 year old D5 A8L.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
The Panamera4 is a lot of car for the money. When my D3 finally goes to the charity donor place (Estimated date: 2019) If the Panamera4's are still available I may be buying a 2 year old one or a 2 year old D5 A8L.
You probably wouldn't be off-track with either car, but after spending so much time with the A8's AAS you'd definitely want an Pan with the air suspension option.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clembo
My 2011 will be my third A8. Before placing my order I asked the dealer to split the profit margin with me, he agreed. My discount will be essentially the same as his profit over invoice, this seemed fair to both of us. I wasn't interested in beating them down for every buck, nor was he interested in beating me out of every possible buck of profit.
How does one reliably determine what the dealer's profit margin is?
Old 12-06-2010, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by navin in KC
How does one reliably determine what the dealer's profit margin is?
It's very difficult, but you can come close. The invoice figures published in AoA's Order Guide and also shown on auto sites like Edmunds are generally the base invoice---which is what's the general factor upon which buyers can base their deal. Some dealers will show you their physical invoice, if pressed.

There are dealer incentives in the form of quarterly cash based on volume targets that you'll never be able to equate to your deal. Also, I've heard/read that dealers receive a commission on lease contracts.

There are also end of model year dealer incentives that Edmunds usually gets fairly accurately---typically referred to as "trunk money." You can sometimes work those numbers as part of a negotiation, if you know they're in play.

That's what I'm aware of.