A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had alignment but still pulls right, shop says tires to blame

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Had alignment but still pulls right, shop says tires to blame

My car was good driving, never ever thought about it pulling left or right. It had some looseness of the lower controls arms so I changed the lower control arms front right and left at which point I knew I would need an alignment. So took it to a local shop and they did a 4 wheel alignment. I immediately noticed it drifted/ pulled

right. I called and brought it back a week later which is today. They said they put it on the machine and all is within spec so it is the tires that are the problem. They said the front tires have too different of tread depth between the right and left. So I told them I was going to switch out the left and right at home and see if it pulled left. I switched it out but feels exactly the same pulling right. So I called back and asked if I just got all new tires would it track straight and the tech said I’d need another alignment if I got 4 new tires. I told him he said it measured within spec so how could that be? Am I missing something or are they wrong?
Old 05-13-2024, 02:18 PM
Flagship addict

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

The printout shows it will pull left.....can they not read?
Old 05-13-2024, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks, but help me out here, how can you tell from the printout? The toe?
Old 05-13-2024, 06:21 PM
Flagship addict

Originally Posted by Frag
Thanks, but help me out here, how can you tell from the printout? The toe?
Yes, it's biased to the left. That is a setting that if nothing else is very easy to set to zero, are the touching the rear at all btw? Generally speaking all adjustments that can be done to the rear should be done first then you finish with the front, on these cars there aren't many settings though. Check your upper arms as well, they are critical for steering solidity and normally wear out before the lowers do so if you haven't checked them do so
Old 05-14-2024, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes they called it a "4 Wheel European Alignment" for $175.00 so I assume they did the rear too. I have visually checked the upper arms and to my inexperienced eye they looked fine ( the ball joint boots). The tech did mention after I took it back to them that the upper arms should be on my radar for replacement. But if the uppers are anything like the lowers I'm not looking forward to that job. Especially the infamous frozen pinch bolt.
Old 05-14-2024, 12:23 PM
Flagship addict

The ball joint is rarely the thing that wears out, it's almost always the bushings
Old 05-17-2024, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Got new tires installed. Still pulls right exactly the same way. So it isn't the tires like they were claiming.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a bummer on the tires, but at least you have eliminated that possibility. Just for clarification about pulling to the right, which of the two following conditions is the case:

If you let go of the steering wheel with it going straight down the lane it veers off to the right immediately?

OR

Is the steering wheel just not on center when heading straight down a level road?
Old 05-17-2024, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If I let go of the wheel it drifts right. It drifts right from the right lane, center lane, left lane. No matter where on the road/highway it drifts right. I have to constantly put a little pressure on the steering wheel to the left to go straight.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:11 PM
Super-Duper User

Received 503 Likes on 402 Posts

Maybe try a different shop. They could have an equipment setup problem.
The following users liked this post:
glenbjackson (05-17-2024)

Quick Reply: Had alignment but still pulls right, shop says tires to blame