A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone updated their nav data?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Looks like I've been overlooking the +R, so folks with A6s etc. have been getting HN+R_US_AU_K0814 installed.
My 2011 A8 L is on K0814. Picture of the firmware and maps version is up near the top of this thread.

I've been on K0814 for about a year.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my '11 A8L (pre-SIM) nav data, firmware, and MMI firmware updated as well.

When I got my CPO '13 S8 and most recently my CPO '14 S8 I negotiated with the dealer to have the nav data, nav firmware, and MMI firmware updated as part of the sales.

Last edited by motegi; 08-13-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Map Version in the A8L 2016

Superswiss:
Where can I find the version that is in my MMI system in my A8L? I think you mentioned 6.10.2, is that the most current version. Appreciate your or anyone else's reply.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1guitar
Superswiss:
Where can I find the version that is in my MMI system in my A8L? I think you mentioned 6.10.2, is that the most current version. Appreciate your or anyone else's reply.
Just navigate to SETUP MMI --> Version Information.

You will see software version starting with Hn+R and map database version (6.10.2 of 2015 for example)
Old 09-22-2016, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by philip0001
Just navigate to SETUP MMI --> Version Information.

You will see software version starting with Hn+R and map database version (6.10.2 of 2015 for example)
Philip, what's the latest software version and nav db version that you're running in your Q7 now?

And have you done the mod to get the google maps overlay? Or is this only going to work on an A8?
Old 09-23-2016, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Workoholic, did you ever get a chance to post a detailed "How To" somewhere?

And do you think that this would work on a 2011 Q7?

Originally Posted by Workoholic
Unfortunately the 3G + was not an option in the US until late 2011 build dates. I believe Europe received the MMI 3G+ with Audi connect a few months earlier than the US.

My2011 build date was 10/30/2010 and did not have it. However, through a bit of research and some tinkering I figured out the following:
  1. Russians possess amazing hacking skills (Truly wish or governments got along better).
  2. Most of the necessary hardware was already present in my2011 3G system. The only things missing were:
    • SIM card slot in between the two SD card slots.
    • Newer MMI software version. In my case it required updating to the latest version - K0814. However, I believe older versions going back to 07XX will also work.
  3. I could get this working with roughly $120 (US) in additional equipment and there would be no body panels to remove or physical modifications needed to the car.
Equipment needed:
  1. Audi issue AMI to USB Cable (part #4F0051510Q) - $69
  2. Any cheap two or three port USB hub - $5.
  3. TrendNet TU2-ET 100 USB to Ethernet adapter - $13.
  4. TP-Link TL-MR3040 configured in WISP mode - $30
  5. Your WiFi Hotspot enabled mobile phone 
With a little Velcro, everything fits in one neat little bundle in the center console leaving plenty of storage room.

After setting up the router to access your phone’s WiFi hotspot you run a small script downloaded to an SD card and then enable certain settings in the green engineering menus of your MMI. Reboot everything and you are rolling with Google maps, Google street view, online destination, online points of interest, Audi connect local information services and Music streaming via WiFi.

This is a gross over simplification of the procedure but it really is not hard. I’ve been meaning to do a detailed write up of the steps to get this working but just haven’t had the time. I’ll start another thread at that point.

There are a few things that don’t work. For example, nobody has figured out how to enable an on-line Audi connect account for a pre-2012 car. This would allow you to send destination information from your home computer to your NAV via the Audi Connect Website. To register your car you must enter your VIN # or the EIS # of your SIM card. It won’t accept a VIN# that does not show in Audi’s database as having shipped with a 3G+ system (pre-2012 model in the US). Frankly, I don’t really miss it since voice recognition and online destination search in the car works so well.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default audi a6 allroad 2013 mmi upgrade

Originally Posted by Workoholic
Wow, I thought my dealer was bad. Think you have me beat.

Here is a snapshot of my MMI. This is my 2011 A8L and, as you can see, 2 SD and no SIM slots. As of two months ago, it has the latest software, K0814 and maps, 6.10.2.

I bought the car CPO in January of this year. It had the original software and maps with which it originally shipped with in 2011. Think the software was P0112 and Maps were 4.X.X.

I didn't initially ask about a new maps update. I was more concerned about the software version. My dealer tried to tell me there were no software updates available for my model. After a bit of research on this and other Audi forums, I figured out my dealer would not be compensated for the roughly 2 hours of work required to update the software unless the update was applied to address another problem. The two most common problems were Bluetooth connectivity issues and the sound quality of the Bose system.

Armed with this information, I went straight to Audi of America (AOA) and complained. They got back to me in less than 24 hours. Told me there was a software update that would address my issues and offered to contact my dealer directly. A week later I had all new software and maps.

The software update was covered under my CPO and the maps cost me a little over $450.

Interestingly, when I got the car back, the Bose system was malfunctioning. Turns out the software update broke the AMP which they later replaced under the CPO program. FYI, the new AMP and software made a HUGE improvement in sound quality.

You will learn that the A8 is equipped with very complex technology and many dealer shops don't fully understand all of the systems. You have to take charge and do your own research. It also helps to have at least a fair understanding of software, computers and networks.

Once you get your head wrapped around that part, there are a lot of undocumented features you can unlock and manipulate on your own that not even your dealer knows about. For example, did you know that your 2011 Audi MMI system is capable of running Audi Connect and Google maps? With a Ross-Tech Vagcom cable, a laptop, free VCDS software, an AMI to USB cable, a cheap portable wireless router and and a $5 USB hub, I was able to do this...

Audi Connect Menu

Google Street View (Google Maps)

Audi Connect.

There are 30+ other tweaks you can make to your MMI green engineering menu and VCDS software and a laptop. It's very easy and the procedures are all well documented in the Audi World and Audizine forums.

Happy tinkering!
hi I'm wondering if I can do the same thing on my Audi a6 allroad c7
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (06-13-2021)
Old 10-04-2016, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rcazacu1989
hi I'm wondering if I can do the same thing on my Audi a6 allroad c7
it's got wifi on board but I have and go Sim card where to fit i'm happy to see it is possible but I don't know how