A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Steering Wheel - not very warm...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Heated Steering Wheel - not very warm...?

So, I've had my 2013 A8L steering wheel replaced under warranty about a year ago because even the dealer thought it wasn't heating up well. Well, after a year, it still doesn't seem to be heating up well. It will get warm, by no means hot, and then after about 5 minutes it seems to cool off. And yes, I'm sure my hands get somewhat used to the warmth but it should still feel warm. It's barely lukewarm. We also have an 09 BMW 335i and a 15 Land Rover LR4 - both of those wheels get hot and stay hot until you turn them off. Is this just an Audi issue or is my wheel bad again? thoughts?
Old 12-07-2017, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 610 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by frybear
So, I've had my 2013 A8L steering wheel replaced under warranty about a year ago because even the dealer thought it wasn't heating up well. Well, after a year, it still doesn't seem to be heating up well. It will get warm, by no means hot, and then after about 5 minutes it seems to cool off. And yes, I'm sure my hands get somewhat used to the warmth but it should still feel warm. It's barely lukewarm. We also have an 09 BMW 335i and a 15 Land Rover LR4 - both of those wheels get hot and stay hot until you turn them off. Is this just an Audi issue or is my wheel bad again? thoughts?
Did you try my VCDS temp mod for heated wheels?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...a8-s8-2914453/
Old 12-07-2017, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

no, I'll try it, my mechanic has a vag-com setup. thanks!
Old 12-12-2017, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it bug anyone else that there is no indicator in the instrument panel that the heated steering wheel is on? It's the first car I've seen where the only "indicator" is the brief statement in the center display that you've activated or deactivated it. Same with no indicator for parking lamps and low beams... every German car I've owned has indicated this.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to this forum and Audi in general having traded my 535i x drive for an A8 L. I agree my steering wheel is not warm enough, nor does it stay warm very long. I am unfamiliar with the mods you refer to. Can I do these myself? What would I need to accomplish these mods? BMW has a whole community of people willing to "code" your car as requested (for a price, of course). Any info would be appreciated.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 610 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by fpalella
I am new to this forum and Audi in general having traded my 535i x drive for an A8 L. I agree my steering wheel is not warm enough, nor does it stay warm very long. I am unfamiliar with the mods you refer to. Can I do these myself? What would I need to accomplish these mods? BMW has a whole community of people willing to "code" your car as requested (for a price, of course). Any info would be appreciated.
You need the VCDS cable + software set up, also known as VAG-COM from its former name. Company behind it is Ross-Tech. $200 with license for three cars. If a serious DIY'er, pays for itself w/in one or two repairs. Light years beyond the BMW stone age line editor type stuff I saw when I owned a Mini, at least at any rational price. If in a large metro area, you can look on Craigslist and post on the applicable regional boards on Audiworld, Quattroworld, Audizine, etc. Some indy mechanics will have it too.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
You need the VCDS cable + software set up, also known as VAG-COM from its former name. Company behind it is Ross-Tech. $200 with license for three cars. If a serious DIY'er, pays for itself w/in one or two repairs. Light years beyond the BMW stone age line editor type stuff I saw when I owned a Mini, at least at any rational price. If in a large metro area, you can look on Craigslist and post on the applicable regional boards on Audiworld, Quattroworld, Audizine, etc. Some indy mechanics will have it too.
I know I do, my mechanic has it, so I can use his for no cost. just have to get to him
Old 12-15-2017, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lauwersp
Does it bug anyone else that there is no indicator in the instrument panel that the heated steering wheel is on? It's the first car I've seen where the only "indicator" is the brief statement in the center display that you've activated or deactivated it. Same with no indicator for parking lamps and low beams... every German car I've owned has indicated this.
It really does seem like an afterthought. "oh crap we forgot the heated wheel. let's add the button to an awkward spot on the steering column."

I imagine the new model is a bit more elegant.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yeah, it should be on the steering wheel like other cars. like the phone buttons that are missing.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by frybear
yeah, it should be on the steering wheel like other cars. like the phone buttons that are missing.
mine stays on and you have to turn it off. It doesn’t have to be turned back on when you start the car. That may be why it’s out of the way.