A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello, New owner here

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, New owner here

Hi to all, I have just joined the board. I have a 2011 a8L. and I am ready to post my first problem.
Navigation: The car does not know where it is. It shows in the vicinity, say 20 miles off.
Took it to de dealership and they are telling me is the antena. I am ready to believe it, but: If it was the antena, when I drive the whole navigation should be stationary, right?
As I drive, I can see the changes in direction and so on, only it is off. The dealer updated the MMI to the latest version in the hope it would solve the problem.
Any Ideas? I am hesitant to shell $600 in a new antena if I am not convinced that that is the real problem.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Vcds scan should tell you but most likely the dealer is right. Why not search second had instead of buying new?
Old 10-03-2017, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Luxus, the point is the installation, I don't feel like removing the headliner...
Old 10-03-2017, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I get you. Waze is a much better navigation system via your smartphone. Personally I would just use this vs forking out that money. I don't use the built-in nav really at all.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 10-03-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
I get you. Waze is a much better navigation system via your smartphone. Personally I would just use this vs forking our that money. I don't use the built-in nav really at all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VQ..._t1_B007GNNH3Q
I would agree with LexusLS. Smartphone is so much quicker to enter an address. I rarely uses the onboard Navigation.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I recently relocated to Las Vegas. Being new to the city I use my GPS on a daily basis. Personally I think the factory system works great and is very easy to use. I never even have to take my hands off the wheel. Voice commands are great. I can enter an address, have google find an address or phone number, and even pull up destinations I programmed in using Audi Connect. I realize my phone can also do all those things but it's not integrated into my car. I find it much easier to use the screens in the dash to navigate than I do to look at my phone screen.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not to mention the route calculations based on traffic from actual users on the road, crash reports, road hazards, speed traps, red light cameras, cops on the highway looking for speeders (very easy to do in the A8), etc. are all features that are far superior on a smartphone. If you guys are not using Waze it's really fantastic. By far my favorite GPS app.
​​​​​
​​​

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 10-03-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Guess I'm lucky. Traffic is never very bad, no red light cameras, and cops seem to leave people alone unless they are being really stupid.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't think it's so much luck vs where you live. Hard to compare Nevada to New Jersey when it comes to population density. Really the Northeast in general. Believe me, if you are commuting around NJ and NYC you want the best alternative routes you can find when traffic is bad. Getting in and out of NYC can be a nightmare. 1.5 hours to go 10 miles. Lots of fun...

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 10-04-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update and Note.
My gps has been working great for the last 2 days. WHat has happened? The only thing I can relate to is that on the days it started giving me problems it was raining!! AAfter it stopped raining, I took a bottle of compressed air (ones used to clean keyboards) and applied all around the antenna, in the hope it would remove any incidental water..seems it has worked.
Keep you guys posted
Regarding some comments on Audi Connect, I think it is a great tool, but it is not standard and my car does not have it. What I believe is the best solution is Navdy, connects to the ODB and to the phone.

Quick Reply: Hello, New owner here