A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on dealer add-ins

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 06:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on dealer add-ins

I was hoping to get some perspective on what others add when it comes time for delivery of their new car. I am expecting delivery on a 2015 S8 that is currently headed stateside on the transport according to my latest update.
While I typically have and make use of the $2000 wheel protection, the dealer is also suggesting Audi care and the Simoniz protectant which I have never had before. Can anyone offer insight on these options as to why they did or didn't chose them? Hope I g to make an educated decision as I hate when they spring these things on you at the end and it feels like a very expensive impulse buy.
Thanks!
Old 06-11-2015, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Audi Care:
Audi care can be beneficial if you plan on bringing to the dealer for routine service anyway. I used to bring my Audi's to a local independent for routine maintenance, and sure I saved a few bucks over dealer rates, but I have found that more often than not, since its a every 10k routine maint schedule I usually have some warranty work that needs to be taken care of anyway. So basically, I am ok with paying upfront for Audi Care just for the time value of money with the added convenience of getting routine work done with warranty work, all the while getting a loaner so I don't have to wait around. So basically Audi Care can be a good thing, especially if you lease since it raises the residual 1%, on an A8 with audi care around 1k thats almost a wash.

Simoniz protectant:
Walk away. I really question and high line dealership that offers 'add ins' like this on a 100k + car. This crap doesn't belong at an Audi dealership, and typically goes along with the cheesy 'how do I get you in this car today' used car sales mentality. I usually tell the dealership to do no exterior prep of any kind on my cars, more often than not they will introduce swirls, etc when the detail it prior to delivery.

Wheel protection:
Seems like you have a already calc'd this one out, replacement wheels for an S8 probably run 400-800 each (refinished/new) and tires are 200-300 each (ish) so for some people who live in bad road areas this can come in handy. Keep in mind, however, that most wheel issues can be repaired vs replaced, wheels can be repainted, refinished and even trued and straightened for far less than the cost of replacement. I would bet a set of tires on this car will only last 18-25k miles so you are going to replacing them often anyway, a factor to consider since their tread lifespan may lessen their potential for damage.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I totally agree with Josh's comments about the tackiness of a dealer trying to push "Simoniz". Anybody buying an S8 probably doesn't want to have his/her intelligence insulted and time wasted with a sales pitch for a coat of wax. This doesn't speak well for this dealer's understanding of a luxury car buyer. I might consider using a different dealer.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skip the Simoniz and go for the Tru Coat:

On the wheels, after 2 horrific winters in New England, I'd probably go for it just for convenience's sake on a brand new car--something bad happens and you bust a tire in a pothole, call Audi, get picked up and a loaner and let them fix it. The only worse roads I have seen are in the greater Detroit area--potholes galore. If you are somewhere warm with good winters and nice roads keep the money in your pocket per Josh's advice.

Also agree with Josh above don't let them mess around with the paint at all; especially on darker/black cars most dealerships will swirl the paint if anything.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SaltyIrishman
Skip the Simoniz and go for the Tru Coat: fargo salesman - YouTube

On the wheels, after 2 horrific winters in New England, I'd probably go for it just for convenience's sake on a brand new car--something bad happens and you bust a tire in a pothole, call Audi, get picked up and a loaner and let them fix it. The only worse roads I have seen are in the greater Detroit area--potholes galore. If you are somewhere warm with good winters and nice roads keep the money in your pocket per Josh's advice.

Also agree with Josh above don't let them mess around with the paint at all; especially on darker/black cars most dealerships will swirl the paint if anything.
great scene!! wish it was that easy to get PO's. haha
Old 06-11-2015, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

The one dealer add-on I did get was the complete Xpel paint protection kit. They did a great install and the Xpel works like a charm! Expensive but, sure a lot cheaper than paint repairs!
Old 06-11-2015, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My opinion
Audi care is worth it if you're keeping the car for a while.
Wheel/tire insurance is worth it in any major metro area.

The simonize by the 16 year old intern detailist: no way, and the guys above are right about the dealer prep in general. Maybe it's different for a flagship delivery, but I'd probably ask them to skip. I'm going to next round-- my new black a5 needed paint correction off the lot- swirls on the trunk lid. Shouldn't be like that...
Old 06-16-2015, 05:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks so much for all the helpful responses! Taking delivery on Thursday night and going with the Audi Care and wheel protection only based on the input.
Looking forward to joining the club of owners.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

If you want a good paint coating, see a professional detailer and get something like Modesta or OptiCost Pro.

Simoniz is not on the same level. Not even close.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:53 AM
L0U
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would get the Audi care, and nothing else. Then go to a very good paint detailer and let them make the paint better than new, then seal it, wax it.

Quick Reply: Help on dealer add-ins