A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey, you guys with the full LED headlights...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Hey, you guys with the full LED headlights...

...How's the illumination??? What are likes/dislikes so far?

TIA

derf
Old 12-07-2010, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Perfect! Very broad uniform beam, whitest headlamp beam I've seen. It's seamless, no edges, just a broad wash of white light. Very happy so far - no experience yet in rain or fog or snow (thank the gods). Nor any experience with reflections off wet road surface. So far, quite happy.

Last edited by doctorharrison; 12-07-2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: (sp)
Old 12-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have to cho doctorharrison's post. The thing that strikes me the most is how white the light is. But very good lateral visibility too even on low beams. (My night vision camera helps me see the rest though
Old 12-07-2010, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Doc and Scothawk. Can't wait to hear how you grade the all-weather lights on wet roads when dark outside.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just got my A8 base model delivered last night. All I have to say is that the LED package was one of the key reasons why I went with A8 instead of 750. When I drove it home, I can understand how this will set the new standard for other cars.

Not too technical, but I hope it helps...
Old 12-08-2010, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by hemikim
I just got my A8 base model delivered last night. All I have to say is that the LED package was one of the key reasons why I went with A8 instead of 750. When I drove it home, I can understand how this will set the new standard for other cars.

Not too technical, but I hope it helps...
Sure does, thanks :^)
Old 12-10-2010, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the lumens on the LEDs are really not that much greater than those from xenon HIDs on BMW or Mercedes, no? Maybe the spectrum color is higher/whiter, but I do not think they are significantly brighter, otherwise the could not pass gov regulations for low beams.

I think the primary difference is aesthetic and lower voltage (i.e., better efficiency).

Am I the only one that thinks the A8 LEDs give the car the 'droopy dog' look?

Compare to the new (2011) A6 LEDs, which have a dynamic, sporty look. Notice how the bumper cover on the A6 notches up to follow the contour of the headlights. It's the correct look for the A6 (and should have been for the A8), but instead it seems to underline that the A8 designers took a short cut on the design surrounding A8 LEDs, either not to alienate buyers, or to allow for plug n play of the non-full LED lights in less premium A8s. Given that the Audi designers are relatively saavy, my guess is that vanilla droopy dog look was a cost cutting decision for manufacturing process.

I think its the one design flaw on an otherwise beautiful car.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Big"G"---I get your point re: the LED headlight design. The A8's LED clusters might have been better integrated into the front design had they extended the angle of the top grill corners outward (similar to the C7) instead of inward. They could have then parallel angled the bumper facia between the grill and lamp cluster---thereby cutting an angle into the lower inside corner of the lamp cluster where the all-weather lights reside. That, however, might have made the A8 grill a bit too massive---perhaps. In any event, the A8's lights still look quite impressive in person---and the varying lighting effects are very cool, and IMO look very good, especially in the 3rd pic below.

As for the illumination difference between the Xenon and LED...the LEDs provide a whiter light that more closely resembles daylight, therefore reducing eye strain; they're designed to cast a wider beam; and yes, they are supposed to be much more energy efficient.
Attached Images    

Last edited by derfA8L; 12-11-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No complaints here about the lights :-)

It's been snowing here a bit (nothing like in North America I hasten to add) and I can't fault the lights.

In terms of brightness, when I compare it to the Xeonon's on our Q7, I miss the "follow-the-steering" aspect when I am driving on country roads. I do like the "whiter" light though.

Plus it turns heads, which isn't so bad.

Jet
Old 12-19-2010, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by jetinder
No complaints here about the lights :-)

It's been snowing here a bit (nothing like in North America I hasten to add) and I can't fault the lights.

In terms of brightness, when I compare it to the Xeonon's on our Q7, I miss the "follow-the-steering" aspect when I am driving on country roads. I do like the "whiter" light though.

Plus it turns heads, which isn't so bad.

Jet
Look for "Adaptive LED headlights" and 5 more horsepower in the 2012 models.

Quick Reply: Hey, you guys with the full LED headlights...