A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed new wheels and snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts

One caution actually: I would not use an C7 A6/S6 factory wheel on a D4. It probably fits, but the offset is conservative for the D4 specs. Even though the A7/S7 comes off the same platform, they have more aggressive offsets than the A6/S6 ones from what I've seen. The A6/S6 wheels are also typically 8 ½" spec wheels, so if you want a 9" wheel (as in, more than a 255 tire), not a great donor. Maybe for winter where you might want a narrower tire in a severe environment, and you might also want wheels deeper in like that if a lot of sand and other winter paint abrasion.

The A5/S5/Q5 offset are what actually also line up well to the D4. All of them use the larger 66mm hub too, while on A6/S6 you have to be sure to stay only with current C7 era. I would be a little careful on anything literally A5 given the vehicle weights, but certainly Q5 is in same zone. For those wanting sturdy winter wheels in somewhat narrower widths, a possible good donor. Q5 wheels are 8 and 8 ½, while S5 will push to 9", though typically 19's IIRC.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-30-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by audisession
In that case, I would go with All Seasons. My favorite when I had them on a Merc was Michelin Pilot A/S. But people seem to rave about the DWS - just my experience in pot hole filled streets of Boston were bad.

Now, with respect to the S8 - I say this coming from a Porsche 911 as a daily driver for the last 10 yrs: The car is phenomenal.

I test drove the following:
E63 AMG
S63 AMG
BMW Alpina B7
Porsche Panamera Turbo

The best balance of handling, performance and luxury is the S8. It is that good.

probably one of the most accurate reviews I've seen of the S8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT0r6xQJU_4
Do you drive the s8 or the plus? Most people don't think there is much of any noticeable difference in most driving conditions. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
Do you drive the s8 or the plus? Most people don't think there is much of any noticeable difference in most driving conditions. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
I have not driven the S8 Plus.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
One caution actually: I would not use an C7 A6/S6 factory wheel on a D4. It probably fits, but the offset is conservative for the D4 specs. Even though the A7/S7 comes off the same platform, they have more aggressive offsets than the A6/S6 ones from what I've seen. The A6/S6 wheels are also typically 8 ½" spec wheels, so if you want a 9" wheel (as in, more than a 255 tire), not a great donor. Maybe for winter where you might want a narrower tire in a severe environment, and you might also want wheels deeper in like that if a lot of sand and other winter paint abrasion.

The A5/S5/Q5 offset are what actually also line up well to the D4. All of them use the larger 66mm hub too, while on A6/S6 you have to be sure to stay only with current C7 era. I would be a little careful on anything literally A5 given the vehicle weights, but certainly Q5 is in same zone. For those wanting sturdy winter wheels in somewhat narrower widths, a possible good donor. Q5 wheels are 8 and 8 ½, while S5 will push to 9", though typically 19's IIRC.

Very good points. Thanks for clarifying.

BTW: for those that asked thru PM - the Part Number for my wheels are:

4G8601025BA

20x9 with ET 35
Old 10-31-2016, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

scrape off old decals, get new ones from the dealer or ebay and then spray coat them with something...
Old 10-31-2016, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I see a lot of people recommend 275/40/20 size tires. Is there a big difference going from 265/40? Is the handling made less "tight" by the size increase? Im looking for a set of winter tires myself and i got my eye on the blizzaks but not sure if i should get a different size.. Also does it rub at all? My cousin (whos a mechanic) said it could rub but i wasnt sure and i read here a bunch of people getting that size tire
Old 10-31-2016, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Nermb
I see a lot of people recommend 275/40/20 size tires. Is there a big difference going from 265/40? Is the handling made less "tight" by the size increase? Im looking for a set of winter tires myself and i got my eye on the blizzaks but not sure if i should get a different size.. Also does it rub at all? My cousin (whos a mechanic) said it could rub but i wasnt sure and i read here a bunch of people getting that size tire
275/40/20 definitely doesn't rub. Not even close, not even on my S8 that is lower to start.

Reason for 275's besides a little width is principally price and availability. In plain English, 265 is an oddball Audi size hardly used. Thus small selection and higher prices. BUT, if you are satisfied with Blizzak 265 choice, go there. The Dunlop winters (basically a performance winter but not aggressive tread are also in 265's) and currently well priced at TireRack. What I will likely get if I go winters. For winters, in severe environments folks often go narrower. Thus 265 for starters, but honestly you could find some hard core winter types who might go from about 225 to 245; those will be on narrower wheels than 9's though. Profile goes up of course as width goes down so you maintain overall diameter of tire tread.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20 inch snowtires? I thought they didn't make them that big. Also: I understood that wide snowtires are somewhat of a contradiction of terms as a wide tire tends to ride up on top of the snow and a narrower one cuts down into the snow and gets better traction. disagree? comments?
Old 11-03-2016, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Narrower is better. But you often have to work with what you have. Snow tires do a better job than all season even if they are wide.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by navin in KC
20 inch snowtires? I thought they didn't make them that big. Also: I understood that wide snowtires are somewhat of a contradiction of terms as a wide tire tends to ride up on top of the snow and a narrower one cuts down into the snow and gets better traction. disagree? comments?
I wanted all season tires but they don't make them for the 21 inch rims, either snows or summer tires are the choice. You can get whatever you want on 20 inch rims. As was said, you have to work with what you have and decide for convenience versus better performance. Regards. Ned.

Quick Reply: Installed new wheels and snow tires