A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Problems with 2013 A8 L

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Major Problems with 2013 A8 L

Hello fellow AudiWorld'ers!

I purchased a new 2013 A8 L a few days ago, my 3rd new Audi. Unfortunately, it too, is giving me problems early in our story.

Yesterday evening, the car started locking/unlocking the doors at random, turning the emergency flashers on/off, refusing to let me lock/unlock the car, moving the seats by themselves or not letting me move the seats, turning the interior lights on/off at random.

I am so despondent. I have a planned extended Christmas drive coming up, no idea when a dealer will be able to help me get things fixed, and I don't even know whether I'll be able to lock the doors on the car or if the issues will spread to something that affects driveability.

I called Audi Assurance which, although pleasant, was pretty much worthless. They couldn't even tell me if any dealers will be open on December 26th, couldn't make an appointment for me. They were able to offer me Roadside Assistance, but having the car towed to a dealer would only further encumber my plans. The car is still running, after all.

She was able to tell me that I'm not the first to complain of this issue, and asked whether I had accidentally left the car running with the key still in my pocket. That's "possible" since the car does the auto-start/stop and may not have been "running" even though the ignition was "on."

Still, I've started and stopped the car several times just this morning.

Has anyone else on the forum experienced this problem? Found a solution? Does anyone know when one of the Bay Area service departments will be open?

I love Audi. I genuinely do, but I'm not feeling at all like my loyalty is being rewarded. Read about the issues I've had with my 2001 A6 4.2 (in the shop so often that I knew the entire dealership staff by name) and 2005 A6 4.2 (in the shop for 6 weeks straight and countless other times) and you'll understand why I'm very disappointed. I've spent a quarter million on Audi products. Where is the love?

Merry Christmas, one and all!
Old 12-24-2012, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear your story. Sounds like a gremlin!

I really don't expect my car to be perfect, but issues like that on a brand new car are a pain.....especially if Audi pulls the dealership out of your town!

I just got a error code from my TCU last week, see the other post.

I have not had the issue you described above.

My rear moon roof does not close without my trying 4 or 5 times, and the 'swing your foot to open the trunk' thing works about 1 out of 4 times.

Otherwise the car is great!

Merry Christmas

(May these very petty car issues be the worst thing to happen to us this year! )

Mike
Old 12-25-2012, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wilfred2k5
Hello fellow AudiWorld'ers!

I purchased a new 2013 A8 L a few days ago, my 3rd new Audi. Unfortunately, it too, is giving me problems early in our story.

Yesterday evening, the car started locking/unlocking the doors at random, turning the emergency flashers on/off, refusing to let me lock/unlock the car, moving the seats by themselves or not letting me move the seats, turning the interior lights on/off at random.

I am so despondent. I have a planned extended Christmas drive coming up, no idea when a dealer will be able to help me get things fixed, and I don't even know whether I'll be able to lock the doors on the car or if the issues will spread to something that affects driveability.

I called Audi Assurance which, although pleasant, was pretty much worthless. They couldn't even tell me if any dealers will be open on December 26th, couldn't make an appointment for me. They were able to offer me Roadside Assistance, but having the car towed to a dealer would only further encumber my plans. The car is still running, after all.

She was able to tell me that I'm not the first to complain of this issue, and asked whether I had accidentally left the car running with the key still in my pocket. That's "possible" since the car does the auto-start/stop and may not have been "running" even though the ignition was "on."

Still, I've started and stopped the car several times just this morning.

Has anyone else on the forum experienced this problem? Found a solution? Does anyone know when one of the Bay Area service departments will be open?

I love Audi. I genuinely do, but I'm not feeling at all like my loyalty is being rewarded. Read about the issues I've had with my 2001 A6 4.2 (in the shop so often that I knew the entire dealership staff by name) and 2005 A6 4.2 (in the shop for 6 weeks straight and countless other times) and you'll understand why I'm very disappointed. I've spent a quarter million on Audi products. Where is the love?

Merry Christmas, one and all!
Yes, it did happen to me once while washing the car. I have had my A8 for almost a year now with just 5K miles on it. I am trading it for an S8 soon. I am struggling with the color choice (Daytona Grey, Quartz Grey or Phantom Black).
Old 12-26-2012, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

While driving at night, at highway speeds, the car turned on the emergency flashers and all the interior lights went to the brightest possible intensity. Meanwhile, the doors repeatedly made the lock/unlock sound.

I noticed that this only seems to happen when one of my friends is in the car. I strongly suspect that there's some type of radio interference from her cell phone that either interferes with the car's electronics or broadcasts on the same frequency as the key.

Some services (massage seat and passenger/rear seat, seat heating/ventilation) services have completely disappeared from the MMI menu and do not return even when the MMI has been reset.

At one point I had her turn her phone's power off. When nothing seemed to improve, and since we had reached our destination, she powered her phone back on and we exited the car. Lo and behold, the interior lights stuck at full intensity and I couldn't get the doors to lock even when I tried to use the physical lock. I had her stand away from the car (with her phone), got in the car, started and stopped the car, and the lights reset/was able to lock the car.

The seat controls still have not returned and no longer activate the MMI at all. There's no menu. Seat heaters and ventilation show red and blue lights, but have no effect. The steering wheel is strangely more difficult to turn at lower speeds now.

Audi Assistance is supposed to check in with me in the morning. Pretty weird stuff. I'm hoping they have some answers for me.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What type of phone?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes which phone! That's strange.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

A Year with 5k miles!

I have 4000 after two months!

LOL
Old 12-26-2012, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Her phone is a Samsung/Sprint LTE...huge waffle iron thing.

The seat menus and functionality have not returned, but the car has only acted up when she is my passenger.

Thankfully I heard from Casey at Stevens Creek this morning. I've come to know all the service advisors there during the past 15 years. They're all competent, but she, Les and Ray, I actually look forward to seeing...if not for the association of seeing them with my car being in the shop again.

Perhaps I'm off base, but does anyone know which frequencies the Audi keyless entry system uses? It would explain why (a) the emergency flashers went off, (b) why the interior lights went to full brightness, (c) why the driver seat moved by itself, and (d) why the door sounded as though it were locking/unlocking repeatedly.

What it doesn't explain is why (a) the MMI seat menus have disappeared and (b) why the position 1/2 buttons, seat heat/ventilation and such have stopped functioning. That sounds like a blown fuse...possibly as a result of the first problem?

I would love to hear from anyone else who has experienced such gremlins.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Aronis
Wow, sorry to hear your story. Sounds like a gremlin!

I really don't expect my car to be perfect, but issues like that on a brand new car are a pain.....especially if Audi pulls the dealership out of your town!

I just got a error code from my TCU last week, see the other post.

I have not had the issue you described above.

My rear moon roof does not close without my trying 4 or 5 times, and the 'swing your foot to open the trunk' thing works about 1 out of 4 times.

Otherwise the car is great!

Merry Christmas

(May these very petty car issues be the worst thing to happen to us this year! )

Mike
Mike,

I noticed the same problem with the rear moon roof. It looks like you have to push the button firmly to completely open the moon roof, but not hold it, then push it toward close firmly and let it complete the cycle on its own.

I haven't tried the swing your foot thing.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wilfred2k5
Perhaps I'm off base, but does anyone know which frequencies the Audi keyless entry system uses? It would explain why (a) the emergency flashers went off, (b) why the interior lights went to full brightness, (c) why the driver seat moved by itself, and (d) why the door sounded as though it were locking/unlocking repeatedly.

According to erWin 315MHz on mine, and if the PR codes show 5D2 so does yours.
LTE is in the GHz range, but NFC might be a more logical explanation if the phone has it.

This scenario sounds a lot like what Audi Pre-Sense does.... just thinking off the cuff here.
No windows or sunroof(s) opened just a smidgen did they ?

Quick Reply: Major Problems with 2013 A8 L