A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI Audi Connect Questions - T-mobile or no

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Audi Connect Questions - T-mobile or no

I've still got my free 6 mo trial with T-Mobile and debating if it's worth purchasing. Before I do, I thought I'd ask a few questions.

1- Does anyone know if it's possible to set the default to connect to the data service? I get a prompt every time I use the nav. I want it to just automatically make the data connection.

2- I've read that traffic comes via Sirius XM, not via Audi Connect. Based on other threads, this means the red/yellow/green traffic overlay on the nav system is not provided via T-Mobile or Google. Something doesn't seem right, b/c I don't have Sirius XM activated, but I do see traffic colors on the map.

IMHO, seems ridiculous to pay T-Mobile for data, Sirius for music + traffic, when I already get maps + nav + traffic for free with Google Maps, and music with Pandora...and yet I'm still considering the data connection.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S4Jason
I've still got my free 6 mo trial with T-Mobile and debating if it's worth purchasing. Before I do, I thought I'd ask a few questions.

1- Does anyone know if it's possible to set the default to connect to the data service? I get a prompt every time I use the nav. I want it to just automatically make the data connection.

2- I've read that traffic comes via Sirius XM, not via Audi Connect. Based on other threads, this means the red/yellow/green traffic overlay on the nav system is not provided via T-Mobile or Google. Something doesn't seem right, b/c I don't have Sirius XM activated, but I do see traffic colors on the map.

IMHO, seems ridiculous to pay T-Mobile for data, Sirius for music + traffic, when I already get maps + nav + traffic for free with Google Maps, and music with Pandora...and yet I'm still considering the data connection.
1. yes, in NAV settings, one of the first choices is data from google or other (not in car right now, but I think it is 2nd from the top in my car)

2. traffic from sirius, free 4 year (i think) subscription. this is separate from the sirius radio service which is a much shorter trial.

How are you getting maps, nav, traffic, google maps, and pandora for free? certainly not from the car? maybe you are talking about your cell plan on your mobile?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by S4Jason

The setting to always connect without prompting is actually under the TEL button. Go to data connections and you will see an option for connecting -- never, prompt, or always. Select always and you won't be prompted.

Traffic is through SiriusXM, not Audi connect data or Google. 2013 comes with 4 yr traffic subscription from SiriusXM.

The most powerful thing with Audi connect is hands free voice POI search, IMHO. Google earth imagery is addicting, and I can't stand the plain maps anymore.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by weth
The setting to always connect without prompting is actually under the TEL button. Go to data connections and you will see an option for connecting -- never, prompt, or always. Select always and you won't be prompted.
my bad. my dealer must have set that for me, so I never saw it. I agree to the online destination POI. this has been my big complaint about other nav systems: no ability to search by name, category, etc., and have up to date results. audi connect provides that.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sbdan
1. yes, in NAV settings, one of the first choices is data from google or other (not in car right now, but I think it is 2nd from the top in my car)

2. traffic from sirius, free 4 year (i think) subscription. this is separate from the sirius radio service which is a much shorter trial.

How are you getting maps, nav, traffic, google maps, and pandora for free? certainly not from the car? maybe you are talking about your cell plan on your mobile?
Thanks! Very helpful...had no idea about the Sirius different levels of subscription. Re: free, yes I'm referring to my cell phone plan. I realize it's not "free" but it's not requiring yet another subscription.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may also get a pretty deep discount if you pay for multiple months in advance.
Wish this was available when I got my D4.

Having to pay for another service isn't ideal, and hopefully they will bundle or include in the vehicle price in the future.
However I tend to think that not having Audi Connect is like having a smartphone without a data plan.
Paying Sirius for traffic bugs me but has saved my bacon several times when MMI re-routed me due to traffic issues.

Still amazed at how many passengers ask "You said you have WiFi in this thing, how do I connect to it?"
For doing real work most of the people who ride with me use their tablets or laptops which generally do not have cellular service.

Oddly enough the A8 gets better service in some places than my phone does, which is also on T-Mobile.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jakematic; 05-24-2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: forgot screenshot