A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI screen on the fritz or low battery?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI screen on the fritz or low battery?

The MMI display on my 2011 takes about ten seconds for the screen to turn on after it pops out of the dash, it started doing this consistently a few weeks ago. It happens not only during turning on the car but anytime I test it while the car is running. Actually the display will flash on for a split second as it begins to pop out of the dash then flash off immediately--then wait ten seconds till it comes on and stays on.

Is this a known problem with the MMI? The MMI works fine otherwise. I've not had any service done recently or messed around with settings. I tried the three button reset on the MMI a few times and it didn't help. I'm not having low battery symptoms unless this is considered a sign of a low battery? I did run the stereo loud for a half hour the other day while the car was off, noticed the problem Days later so maybe low battery related?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Direwulff; 09-12-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 612 Likes on 511 Posts

Not enough experience w/ it/D4 to judge myself. But a simple suggestion given your hunch/conern about the battery is to slap a charger on it and top it up fully. If it gets better, you now can pretty much guess your battery is heading south since alternator should normally self correct a viable battery. Any remaining doubts on a 2011 and I would change it out well before winter, dark and cold nights, weather and so on.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update: had the battery thoroughly tested and it’s in great condition, likely not related to the MMI issue. The issue seems to be related to temperature possibly. If it is cooler than about 70 degrees when I turn on the car the MMI Screen takes about a minute to come on. Warmer than that and the screen comes on instantly. Anyone have any guesses? This was not a problem last winter.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Direwulff
Update: had the battery thoroughly tested and it’s in great condition, likely not related to the MMI issue. The issue seems to be related to temperature possibly. If it is cooler than about 70 degrees when I turn on the car the MMI Screen takes about a minute to come on. Warmer than that and the screen comes on instantly. Anyone have any guesses? This was not a problem last winter.
Update, after reading through the forums I think it is a battery issue which is exacerbated by cooler weather. Several other owners experienced this same problem and someone commented that when the battery starts getting old and holding less charge the computer tells the MMI not to turn on during startup until the battery achieves a certain level of charge again. So if I drive around for twenty minutes the MMI display comes on cause the battery has been recharged enough.

The colder temps lately have been making the MMI take even longer to display the dash screen than when it was warmer a few weeks ago—a cold bettery has less charge, therefore less power.

I figured out that my battery is actually the factory original battery. I had the mechanic do a deep cycle test on it and he said it performed well and didn’t recommend a replacement yet, but apparently the A8 is very sensitive to battery capacity in order to run all the electrical systems. So even though this old battery should start my car in the dead of Chicago winter for years to come it’s not enough capacity for the MMI to turn on consistently. It’s an agm battery which explains why it has lasted so long I guess—mines a 2011. That’s my theory anyways.... I’ll find out for sure when I replace the battery with a new agm battery in a few days.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't believe you have not replaced the battery already. Why would you wait for it to fail and leave you screwed somewhere? First thing I did on my 14 about a month after I got it.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
Can't believe you have not replaced the battery already. Why would you wait for it to fail and leave you screwed somewhere? First thing I did on my 14 about a month after I got it.
Why did you replace your battery right after you bought your 2014? Did it fail a deep cycle test or was the car not starting on cold mornings?
Old 11-07-2017, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No, preventive maintenance. I replace every 3 to 4 years. They are not particularly expensive vs the cost of being stranded / towing and having to replace. But I can pretty much guarantee slow mmi boot is the battery.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

No, preventive maintenance. I replace every 3 to 4 years. They are not particularly expensive vs the cost of being stranded / towing and having to replace. But I can pretty much guarantee slow mmi boot is the battery.
How can you guarantee that?
Old 11-07-2017, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Logic combined with experience and knowledge. You'll find out soon enough. I think I spent about $230 with tax for the oem but I installed myself. Easy to do. Just don't forget to code it for the power management system.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Logic combined with experience and knowledge. You'll find out soon enough. I think I spent about $230 with tax for the oem but I installed myself. Easy to do. Just don't forget to code it for the power management system.
I’ll provide an update after I have a new agm battery installed to confirm.

Quick Reply: MMI screen on the fritz or low battery?