A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy With Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy With Some Questions

Hi Folks.... I'm in the market, and trying to make up my mind. I currently drive a 2012 BMW 550i MSport (totally problem free)that my wife will be taking.

Looking at lots of different stuff, most recently the Panamera GTS and M5. Not a fan of MB. A friend took me for a spin in his 2008 S8 recently, and it was interesting enough to add the S8 to my list.

Still looking through the threads, but have a few general questions:

One "clunky" area of the BMW is the information software. In particular, the Nav system is problematic (hard to enter addresses, frequently wrong) and phone bluetooth voice dialing functions don't seem to work as well as my $80 bluetooth headset. I'm curious about people's opinions of the Audi capabilities?

BMW has a number of ways to import music.. all workable, but not especially intuitive (I had to surf the forums to get it all figured out). There's also a noticable drop-off in audio quality for blue-tooth streamed music. Curious about people's opinons here.

Is there really no HUD? This is one of my favorite features on the 550i instrumentation.

Does the S8 have cross-drilled rotors? I've seen pictures both ways.

How long is the order process really? (I've seen threads indicating 5 months or more - yikes!)

Anything other suggestions for research areas is appreciated. This looks like a friendly and informative forum.

Thanks,

Taters
Old 11-04-2012, 01:08 PM
L0U
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sack-o-taters
Hi Folks.... I'm in the market, and trying to make up my mind. I currently drive a 2012 BMW 550i MSport (totally problem free)that my wife will be taking.

Looking at lots of different stuff, most recently the Panamera GTS and M5. Not a fan of MB. A friend took me for a spin in his 2008 S8 recently, and it was interesting enough to add the S8 to my list.

Still looking through the threads, but have a few general questions:

One "clunky" area of the BMW is the information software. In particular, the Nav system is problematic (hard to enter addresses, frequently wrong) and phone bluetooth voice dialing functions don't seem to work as well as my $80 bluetooth headset. I'm curious about people's opinions of the Audi capabilities?

BMW has a number of ways to import music.. all workable, but not especially intuitive (I had to surf the forums to get it all figured out). There's also a noticable drop-off in audio quality for blue-tooth streamed music. Curious about people's opinons here.

Is there really no HUD? This is one of my favorite features on the 550i instrumentation.

Does the S8 have cross-drilled rotors? I've seen pictures both ways.

How long is the order process really? (I've seen threads indicating 5 months or more - yikes!)

Anything other suggestions for research areas is appreciated. This looks like a friendly and informative forum.

Thanks,

Taters
Orders are backed up right now, since 4 or 5 are being placed each day, just in the states. There is some dealer inventory around now though. Its 6 months for a fresh order.

400mm steel rotors for north america. the cross drilled are the ceramic ones.

No hud in the S8.

Bluetooth phone in my S4 was very good. Likely the S8 is as good.

Mmi nav is reguarded as a strength from testers so far.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll chime in and say that the writing touch pat in the A6/7/8 S6/7/8 is really effective in making the nav easier to use.

Also, I do believe the carbon ceramic brakes are an option here in the states (only S8, not S6/7).
Old 11-04-2012, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

S6 and S7 : HUD available
S8 : No HUD available (Yes i verified physically and with HYPERS4)
Old 11-05-2012, 01:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

HUD on the BMW is oft-complained about.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...MIyFhQeNs4CgAg

It sounds like the company that makes these modules needs to up their game.

Last edited by snapdragon; 11-05-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lou is pretty spot on. I would say that the inventory is around the east coast and southern california region. Even with that, most don't have the options I would want. Surprising that they don't send out most of these cars with most of the options.

Steel brakes with no cross drilled rotors - but then again, unless you're tracking the S8, it stops pretty damn well. MT recorded 107ft 60-0, which is on par with a lot of sport GTs.

No HUD - that's one thing I'm disappointed about as well.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I really appreciate all the responses - I've been traveling with spotty internet access. Just a few more questions:

Are there any good picture threads that show the various available color combinations (The Audi site is pretty bad for this).

Texas owners - any experiences with Roger Beasley (Austin Audi Dealer)? Is there a "go to" dealer or particular sales person?

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, I've been compiling some articles over at Audizine.com. I've also looked at different color combinations by just googling their images. HTH.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default HUD

You can get the HUD on the A6 and S6, if you are interested. I have it on my A6, and really like it.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

HUD is a great feature. It's strange that the S8 doesn't have it, but there you go.

I've been doing a little research on the S6 (and S4 for that matter). The S8 is amazing but not sure I want to wait 6 months... and re-evaluating my tax liabilities in the wake of the election before taking on $110k+ of rapidly depreciating asset.

I've been in BMWs for 13 years, and Audi is enough different to make it worthwhile to check things out. Hey it's all good.