A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie here, condisidering trading in my BMW 750iX for an A8, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Given the 3 you are looking at, it may be worth driving a Jaguar XJ, if AWD is not a requirement. It would fall between the Panamera and A8 in terms of character, and carries it's own unique charm.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks again! I know I have to drive these and see if I like them. LWB could be an issue for me, not sure. And I love the dual sunroofs but the sport model only has 1 roof for the one that's for sale by me.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Jags make me nervous, not sure why. and I really dislike the round pop up gear selector.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO the sport package is a must have if you can't spring for the S8. It gives you the better seats and leather along with the sport differential, lower much better looking ride height and wheels.

I also wouldn't be without the B&O and cold weather package if you live in the north. Heated wheel for the cold is a must have along with cooled seats for the summertime heat. Advanced key with lock and unlock function in the door handles, active speed control are all things I really like and will not be without.

You have to be careful and do your research knowing the different option packages as there are lots of minimal optioned base models out there you will not be happy with missing all the good stuff.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The seats do look nice with the quilting but no dual sunroofs on the one I can get here.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned 3 Jaguars and had excellent service from all, so don't be worried about reliability. The XJ supercharged V8 is brutally fast and sticks to the road almost as well as the Panamera. The seats are very comfortable and the Bowers and Wilkins stereo (depending on which year) is arguably the best in any luxury automobile.

Having said that, I love the way my D4 A8 rides and handles, the fit and finish is excellent, and the aceleration of the 4.2 l is more than sufficient. Good luck in your search and most importantly, have fun.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by frybear
The seats do look nice with the quilting but no dual sunroofs on the one I can get here.
Well if that is important to you then so be it. I'm not sure you can get a sport package car with dual sunroofs. I always thought the sport package was only available in a NWB.

I'd prefer to have no sunroof as I don't use the single one I have now. Just added weight and a place for water to leak in IMO.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by KnappAttack
... I always thought the sport package was only available in a NWB.
Starting in 2013 the Sports Package options (Sports Design and Sports Plus packages) became available on the LWB model also. Probably more out there with the Sports Design package than the additional Sports Plus package. Here are the details from the MY 2013 order guide:

Sport Design package (n/a with WTH, PRA)
20-inch 5-Segment-spoke wheels,
265/40 all-season tires,
Front seat ventilation with massage (pneumatic),
Valcona Leather interior,
22-way multi-contour comfort-sport seats/diamond pattern,
Wood inlays on front seat back

Sport plus package (requires WS1) (n/a with WTH, PRA)
265/40 summer tires,
Audi dynamic steering,
Audi adaptive air suspension/Sport,
Audi quattro with sports differential

Last edited by derfA8L; 10-20-2015 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I just traded my 2011 BMW 750Li X Drive with the M sport package for a 2013 A8L with the sports design package. I drove both the V6 & the V8 and I can honestly say that in most cases the V6 is more than capable and wont leave you wanting more. Coming from several Audi's with the 4.2 and then the BMW with the twin turbo V8, I thought it would be very difficult not having a V8, but I would've been satisfied with either engine. I can tell you that the Audi wins hands down when it comes to reliability, AWD, gas mileage and quality of the interior. The BMW was a great car and fun to drive, but fell short on so many levels and the gas mileage on mine was a pitiful 13 mpg. Every time I get in this car I absolutely love it. My only wish is that the cosmetics were a bit more sporty. I opted to put a set of 20 inch RS wheels and would like to find a sportier front grill. Based on my experience though, you wont miss the BMW. I would opt for the sport package. Hope this helped.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks! Can't find one with the sports package, only sport design, which is not the same at all from what I understand. Going today to test drive.

Quick Reply: Newbie here, condisidering trading in my BMW 750iX for an A8, any suggestions?