A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odering New S8 - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odering New S8 - Need Advice

Hi Everyone,

I am a longtime Porsche guy about to come over to the Audi side for the first time ever.

I currently have a Panamera GTS on order, but am 90% sure I'll be backing out and ordering a new 2013 S8. Can anyone here who has driven both cars comment on the real world differences of both cars? There are NO S8s available to test drive in LA.

Also, I have questions about the following two S8 options:

1) Full Leather @ $5500 - is this really worth it? Have those that have ordered this in the past have any +/- comments?
2) Wheel Options @ $250 - does it really make a difference to have a slightly wider wheel at 275/35 than the stock 265/35? I only ask because I like the stock wheel look better than the 5 spoke option, but am willing to give up looks for performance (I ordered a Panamera for crying out loud!)

Thanks for your help,

Dave

p.s. fyi - my current S8 build is: Daytona/Nougat/Driver Assistance/Cold Weather
Old 11-25-2012, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Dave - Depending on your budget the full leather is a toss up. If you have it within reach, I would do it. I have it in my A8 and it is nice, if I didn't have it, I probably wouldn't miss it much, but why not get it in a six figure car. The wheels are a personal preference, I like the stock wheel better myself.

I am a Porsche and Audi guy, 3 A8's and an S8 next. Good call on the move away from Panamera, - ouch from the back. It does drive great but - get a 911 for your Porsche fix, it is the perfect stable mate for an S8.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:36 AM
L0U
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Full leather is standard in Canada. I think it is a way to keep costs down in the usa market by offering it without. I think it is worth putting it in. You spend the time inside, and a leather dash is what separates the feel from the rest of the lineup. The 265s are not as tall, so the car gets a lower centre of gravity, and a slight improvement in gear ratio for acceleraction. The 275s are for looks more than for performance. An aftemarket light set of 20s (23lbs) would be nice for performance.

The gts has a firmer sportier ride. It only corners better due to the suspension tuning and the lower car riding on smaller diameter wheels. The weight distribution is no better on the panamera, but it does weigh 300lbs less.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to agree with others here. I didn't opt for the leather package because its not that important to me, but if you're even wondering if you should get it, at this price, you should just get it.

As for the tires, I like the 5 spoke wheel look with the black more than the standard. So for me, its the way it is.

Finally, I did drive the GTS and was underwhelmed. Granted, it did handle better than the S8, but for my purposes of driving to and from work and an occasional getaway, the S8 does the job. The crazy locomotive like thrust in the S8 more than makes up for the difference between the cars' handling.

But we are in an Audi forum, so we're definitely biased.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by baileybonds
Hi Everyone,

I am a longtime Porsche guy about to come over to the Audi side for the first time ever.

I currently have a Panamera GTS on order, but am 90% sure I'll be backing out and ordering a new 2013 S8. Can anyone here who has driven both cars comment on the real world differences of both cars? There are NO S8s available to test drive in LA.

1) Full Leather @ $5500 - is this really worth it? Have those that have ordered this in the past have any +/- comments?
2) Wheel Options @ $250 - does it really make a difference to have a slightly wider wheel at 275/35 than the stock 265/35? I only ask because I like the stock wheel look better than the 5 spoke option, but am willing to give up looks for performance (I ordered a Panamera for crying out loud!)

Thanks for your help,

Dave

p.s. fyi - my current S8 build is: Daytona/Nougat/Driver Assistance/Cold Weather
Hi Dave,
Like you I am a long time Porsche guy- & 911's. My only Audi was an 03 RS6 AVant when I lived in Switzerland. I drove A Panamera, Turbo, and 4s but not the GTS. However, I was blown away with the S8 on a trip to Switzerland in Sept.

So now I'm the very proud owner of a 2013 S8. It has more options than I would have ordered but I was just happy to get one. The car is a monster! It has been dynoed at 575hp equivalent and 500 ft lbs to torque so it is vastly underrated. Motor trend did comparison of it vs BMW Alpina B7. 0-60 in 3.5 seconds for the S8.

i love the economy if you go easy. Its this combination of economy with performance that made me a 911 fan. You don't get this with a Panamera. Value wise, the S8 has no peer.

The 5 arm rotor with Titanium finish with 275/35/21 tires is my preference but you wont lose much handling performance of you opt for the 265/35/21.It's a matter of personal prference but the 5 arm rotor wheels look more aggressive-especially when the suspension is set to dynamic ie lowered.

you will love the S8!

Pete
Old 11-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi,

I had a chance do drive them both. The S8 is definitely faster, in fact it was as fast as a Turbo S. The cornering on the GTS was a little bit better. I just can swallow the rear end of the Panamera.

The S8 comes with 265/35/21 and for $250 you get 275/35/21. Performance wise, you get a wider tire and it will help with cornering and handling better. It will not harm the gas mileage.

I hope it helps.

QUOTE=baileybonds;24375790]Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help,

Dave

p.s. fyi - my current S8 build is: Daytona/Nougat/Driver Assistance/Cold Weather[/QUOTE]
Old 11-26-2012, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm confused...

I thought there was only one wheel option with the S8 - and only one tire option, the 21" summer tire.

In fact, in another thread we are complaining about how we'd like the ability to order a 20" wheel with all season tires, etc.

Am I missing something in the online configurator ? I only see one wheel option...
Old 11-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LouisM27
Hi,

I had a chance do drive them both. The S8 is definitely faster, in fact it was as fast as a Turbo S. The cornering on the GTS was a little bit better. I just can swallow the rear end of the Panamera.

The S8 comes with 265/35/21 and for $250 you get 275/35/21. Performance wise, you get a wider tire and it will help with cornering and handling better. It will not harm the gas mileage.

I hope it helps.

QUOTE=baileybonds;24375790]Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help,

Dave

[/QUOTE]

IMO, I'd pick the B&O sound system over the full leather package any day. While the full leather is noticeable, its not THAT much more noticeable. $5500 is a tall order for some more leather on your dash. Most people listen to music everyday, and the speakers rising out of the dash will provide the "wow" factor more than the full leather.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jersh
I'm confused...

I thought there was only one wheel option with the S8 - and only one tire option, the 21" summer tire.

In fact, in another thread we are complaining about how we'd like the ability to order a 20" wheel with all season tires, etc.

Am I missing something in the online configurator ? I only see one wheel option...
Maybe you are outside the US? There are three options that I see. The standard 21, followed by the silver 5 rotor (similar appearance to the TTRS, S4 rotor wheels) and titanium 5 rotor wheels.

The 21" 5 rotor wheels have 275/35 21 summer tires.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The full leahter package is $5500. Not cheap, but with how Porsche tends to nickle and dime you for everything, it's not that bad. You'll be under 120k.

I'd say go for the S8, I drove all 3 s6/s7/s8, and the s8 is blistering and worth the coin. More comfortable as an everyday drive and more space as well.

It's a better car for the money than the Panamera, and much more exclusive as well.

Quick Reply: Odering New S8 - Need Advice