A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Door Sounds

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Door Sounds

Anyone having the following issue:

When I unlock the car and open the driver's door after it has been closed for a while, I hear a loud popping/knocking sound. It is a non-metallic sound, somewhat muffled. The sound is like someone knocking their knuckle on the interior door panel.

I do not believe this sound is coming from the locking mechanism, because it occurs maybe 5 seconds after the door has already been unlocked. The sound happens as soon as the door is being pulled open.

I have experienced this on occasion with the passenger side door as well.

To be sure, there are no personal items loose in the storage bins in the doors to make that sound. Also, I don't get any rattling from the door area as I drive the car, so there doesn't seem to be anything loose inside the door panel itself.

It doesn't happen all of the time. If I then immediately close the door and open again, I don't get the sound. It is only after the door has been closed for perhaps 10 minutes or longer.

It doesn't seem to be coming from the hinges, nor from the rubber seals either.

One theory I have is that it could be a pop coming from the speakers - perhaps due to static electricity. But I cannot pinpoint where the sound comes from.

It is not terrible, but bothersome on a luxury car of this caliber. I am hesitant to take to the dealer because I know their senses are not so keen and I'll probably get the good ol "we can't replicate the problem" excuse. That, and I'd rather not have them rip apart the door panel if it is something that I can troubleshoot.

Anyone have this experience? Perhaps listen for it as you open your doors.

Last edited by BigGrasshopper; 07-25-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know if this is it but mine has four distict muffled knocks that I believe are part of the air suspension system. Whether it's a venting or priming, I am unsure. This noise to me sounds as if it's near the rear door area. It does not happen until the car has been off for awhile. Also at times a similar soft knocking sound occurs more towards the front, slightly ahead and below the driver's door. Additionally, in the front door area is a whirring motor sound. All of these appear to occur when either front door is opened. I just checked mine, it's been shut down for two hours... four soft thumps when the passenger door was opened. Hope this helps.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

DRCHA6 -

What you describe is essentially what I am experiencing as well. I suspect there is not a remedy for this. Perhaps the car will "settle" with some miles and these sounds will reduce.

I'll pay attention to how my suspension is set (raised/lowered) to see if that may impact the noises upon entrance as well.

Thanks!