A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Gremlins

So, over the weekend, I ended up pulling the trigger on an '11 A8 NWB (4.2). Fantastic car, I enjoy every minute driving. I'm also having a good time figuring out all the gadgets.

I'll provide a more detailed review and pics soon.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with their radio/MMI?

This morning, my radio (FM) froze - no sound. When I would turn volume ****, the on-screen volume indicator would not move, it was frozen. The MMI was not frozen, as I could change stations. However, no sound with any of the stations. I double-checked and confirmed that mute was NOT engaged.

Similarly, when I hook up an ipod or iPhone to the input dongle, I'll either get no music, or the music will cut in and out. However, the artist info will correctly display, and the song time indicator will continue to run. In other words, it is hooked up properly. Both iphone and iPod are confirmed in perfect working order. I've checked the ipod connector dongle, and that seems snugly plugged in.

I rebooted the iphone, and re-plugged in, and it would play music for 3 or 4 seconds, there would be some faint popping sounds, and then no more sound.

So now I do not have radio or iPod capability. Anyone have a similar experience?

I believe the car takes about a half hour to cycle off all of the electronics, so I'm going to let it sit and see if everything comes online again.

Anyone heard of this or have similar problems?
Old 06-21-2011, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGrasshopper
So, over the weekend, I ended up pulling the trigger on an '11 A8 NWB (4.2). Fantastic car, I enjoy every minute driving. I'm also having a good time figuring out all the gadgets.

I'll provide a more detailed review and pics soon.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with their radio/MMI?

This morning, my radio (FM) froze - no sound. When I would turn volume ****, the on-screen volume indicator would not move, it was frozen. The MMI was not frozen, as I could change stations. However, no sound with any of the stations. I double-checked and confirmed that mute was NOT engaged.

Similarly, when I hook up an ipod or iPhone to the input dongle, I'll either get no music, or the music will cut in and out. However, the artist info will correctly display, and the song time indicator will continue to run. In other words, it is hooked up properly. Both iphone and iPod are confirmed in perfect working order. I've checked the ipod connector dongle, and that seems snugly plugged in.

I rebooted the iphone, and re-plugged in, and it would play music for 3 or 4 seconds, there would be some faint popping sounds, and then no more sound.

So now I do not have radio or iPod capability. Anyone have a similar experience?

I believe the car takes about a half hour to cycle off all of the electronics, so I'm going to let it sit and see if everything comes online again.

Anyone heard of this or have similar problems?
I have to disable my i-Phone's Bluetooth function when direct-connected to the car via the cable---or things get real buggy. If it's not connected to the car's i-Pod connector and connected to car solely via Bluetooth, then it works fine (although I then lose song/album screen data). When connected with the cable with Bluetooth OFF, I get full functionality, but of course, lose Bluetooth phone capability.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Derf, you are likely right. I suspect that Bluetooth connectivity may be what caused the glitch. As I understand it, the iPhone attempts to make 2 bluetooth connections when initially linking to the MMI system. One for the phone, and one to stream music wireless.

From my understanding from others on this forum, the Audi MMI does not support wireless streaming of music via bluetooth (or at least Apple's version). Ironically, a Camaro rental car I had a few months ago did support the streaming via Bluetooth. Who knew Chevy was on the cutting edge?

Fortunately, after I restarted the car, I haven't had issues with either the radio or iPhone.

My hunch is that putting in a dedicated iPod (with no bluetooth) to play the music will eliminate future issues.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You can do Bluetooth music streaming, but not when connected to the i-Pod cable. It actually works pretty well on terms of the music---just no data or album cover graphics.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like you are seeing some of the symptoms that i see regularly and already have logged with our friends in Ingolstadt.

I get various lock ups and freezes with my MMI including the exact same one you described> I usually find the "three finger salute" works (sometimes yo have to do it a few times). I think you press Tone-MMI Dial-top Right diretion button above MMI dial at the same time and release. It is in the owers manual> It shuts down the MMI and reboots it> yo have to redo you"re current destination if you are using the nav< but no other side effects>

Don"t forget to log it with your dealer, espeially if they are willing to put a report in if it does it regularly>

jet
Old 06-22-2011, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I did end up getting the Bluetooth streaming to work today. Interestingly, my iPhone was able to bluetooth stream music while hooked up to the iPod cable. Very strange. However, I could not replicate it a second time -- likely another glitch.

My iPhone has 2 Bluetooth pairings listed for the Audi, one is labeled MMI, and the other UHV. I deleted the MMI bluetooth pairing on the iPhone and have had no more gremlins with the in-car MMI. My iPhone still has 'phone' functionality via Bluetooth as well.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BigGrasshopper
I did end up getting the Bluetooth streaming to work today. Interestingly, my iPhone was able to bluetooth stream music while hooked up to the iPod cable. Very strange. However, I could not replicate it a second time -- likely another glitch.

My iPhone has 2 Bluetooth pairings listed for the Audi, one is labeled MMI, and the other UHV. I deleted the MMI bluetooth pairing on the iPhone and have had no more gremlins with the in-car MMI. My iPhone still has 'phone' functionality via Bluetooth as well.
How did you end up with 2 pairings? Did you pair the phone while it was connected to the cable? I only have a single MMI pairing.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, you can pair your iPhone a second time, and I think it connects in a different manner to the Audi MMI.

As to the radio Gremlins, I have had a repeat of the iPhone sound cutting in and out when the cable is connected. What I end up doing is selecting the "Source" button on the Audi MMI, and there is a selection for "iPhone" and one for "Bluetooth". I select "iPhone" and the problems go away.

I think what may be causing the intermittent sound interruption is perhaps the MMI is getting confused as to whether it should pull music through Bluetooth streaming or through the cable. Specifically selecting which source you want tends to cure it.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Works fine here. I just added the same device as a bluetooth media source when I was paired up using the phone bluetooth.
Attached Images