A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Seat Headrests

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Seat Headrests

Two questions...

1. How can you remove these headrests? I struggle to reach back in there to get the window cleaned and removing them would be a huge help. Also planning on getting the windows tinted and I'm sure they will ask as well
2. Anyone replaced them with a lower profile head rest? 9/10 times I have kids in my back seat at 5'0 and shorter. Then even the majority of my adult friends/family are 5'7 at most. Anyone swap with another headrest that doesn't protrude up in the rear window as much? I did this on my MK6 Sportwagen, however since these are electric adjustment, I'm not sure if possible.
Old 03-02-2023, 11:28 AM
W12 Aficionado

Received 619 Likes on 415 Posts

Are you saying you have reclining rear seats? The headrests aren’t power adjusted in the rear so they’re easy to take off *IF* you have reclining rear seats. You have to pop off the plastic escutcheon around where the headrest enters the seat back and push a lever and you can pull them out. I’ll go take a pic in a sec to show you.

I’m 99% certain the non comfort ones are a direct swap... however, caveat: I know that the front seat comfort head rests at least are ‘intelligent’ and I believe throws an airbag code if you turn the ignition on with the headrest removed. Not sure if that’s the case with the rear.

I looked into the non comfort rear headrests when I was thinking about having custom rear headrest pillows made before I found OEM ones.

If you don’t have reclining rear seats then you have to remove the seat back to have clearance to pull the headrest out
Old 03-03-2023, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2turbos4rings
Are you saying you have reclining rear seats? The headrests aren’t power adjusted in the rear so they’re easy to take off *IF* you have reclining rear seats. You have to pop off the plastic escutcheon around where the headrest enters the seat back and push a lever and you can pull them out. I’ll go take a pic in a sec to show you.

I’m 99% certain the non comfort ones are a direct swap... however, caveat: I know that the front seat comfort head rests at least are ‘intelligent’ and I believe throws an airbag code if you turn the ignition on with the headrest removed. Not sure if that’s the case with the rear.

I looked into the non comfort rear headrests when I was thinking about having custom rear headrest pillows made before I found OEM ones.

If you don’t have reclining rear seats then you have to remove the seat back to have clearance to pull the headrest out

I do have reclining rear seats. I'll have to stick my head in there again and look.
Old 03-03-2023, 12:14 PM
W12 Aficionado

It slipped my mind t9 go take pictures yesterday when the weather was beautiful, so I took some today while running errands in a monsoon

Since you have reclining seats it’s cake:

-lower rear sunshade
-fully recline rear seats
-squeeze escutcheon inward at the base of the right prong (as you look at the seats- US driver’s side, UK passenger side. Same side for both seats) and evenly pull headrest in the direction of the prongs. The headrest will only move a little bit, a few cm, just enough clearance for the next step [see fig. 1]
-remove escutcheon at the base of the left prong (again, same side for both seats). It is simply a cap that clips into place. I suggest a wide flathead screw driver placed under the edge of the escutcheon and fingers below screw driver shank. Use an upward motion keeping the screwdriver level, it’s held with some pressure given that there’s not much leverage from the position it’s in. Just use slow, firm motion so the screwdriver doesn’t slip and if it does it doesn’t go too far [see fig. 2]
-with escutcheon removed, you will see an exposed mechanism much like the right side. Pinch mechanism at the base of both prongs and lift headrest up and out in the direction of the prongs [see fig. 3]

Old 03-03-2023, 01:30 PM
Flagship addict

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm probably going to remove mine entirely so I can see out the back more easily lol!
Old 03-03-2023, 03:41 PM
W12 Aficionado

There exists a non-comfort version of the rear headrest that fits over the front of the seat so it’s much lower profile. Perhaps you would be interested in that as madlife is

The following users liked this post:
Striker2237 (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 04:56 PM
Flagship addict

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 2turbos4rings
There exists a non-comfort version of the rear headrest that fits over the front of the seat so it’s much lower profile. Perhaps you would be interested in that as madlife is

Yes I totally would be, Do they still adjust upward if people want to use them? I assume you can source me some of those as well?

Last edited by Striker2237; 03-03-2023 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2023, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you are going to get it tinted I can tell you the tinter will be thanking you if you remove them. I removed all the back seats when I got my last A8 tinted and will do the same for this one when I get around to tinting this one.
Old 03-04-2023, 05:52 PM
W12 Aficionado

I forgot I’m a YouTuber now so here’s a YouTube video on how to remove the rear headrests

The following 2 users liked this post by 2turbos4rings:
chokboywonda (03-06-2023), Striker2237 (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Very good

No fluff 👍

Quick Reply: Rear Seat Headrests