A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red MMI Cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red MMI Cable

As some of you may know, many of the newer model Audis are coming with a black MMI cable that has a red band around it. This cable allows Album art from iPods/iPhones to be displayed natively on the MMI screen.

In 2011/2012 D4s, I believe that a software update may be required in order to enable this functionality. I don't have all the details, you'd have to investigate it.

In any event, about a year ago I order the red MMI cable from my dealer and fooled around on VAGCOM myself to see if I could get the album art feature to work on my 2011 D4 but was unsuccessful. The cable has just been sitting in a drawer. It is in like-new condition.

If anyone has had their MMI software updated and is interested in this cable, send me a PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGrasshopper
As some of you may know, many of the newer model Audis are coming with a black MMI cable that has a red band around it. This cable allows Album art from iPods/iPhones to be displayed natively on the MMI screen.

In 2011/2012 D4s, I believe that a software update may be required in order to enable this functionality. I don't have all the details, you'd have to investigate it.

In any event, about a year ago I order the red MMI cable from my dealer and fooled around on VAGCOM myself to see if I could get the album art feature to work on my 2011 D4 but was unsuccessful. The cable has just been sitting in a drawer. It is in like-new condition.

If anyone has had their MMI software updated and is interested in this cable, send me a PM.
I can see the album art on mine, though I have the black cable with the "dark blue grommet." I would still be interested in getting the cable with the "red grommet" in hopes of getting iPhone video to play on the MMI.

Are you in CA?
Old 02-10-2013, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

2011-12 Do need a software update, i had it done and also purchased the red i pod cable and now i have album art and video from my i pod touch BUT i still had to keep the blue cable so i could use my classic the red cable wont work with the classic
Old 03-04-2013, 06:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edgedesant
2011-12 Do need a software update, i had it done and also purchased the red i pod cable and now i have album art and video from my i pod touch BUT i still had to keep the blue cable so i could use my classic the red cable wont work with the classic
Can you post the info that I need to tell my dealer to get the software update and the part number for the cable. They always act like it can not be done.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

i think we said the mmi keeps reseting and will not hold any stations in memory, they will only update the software 1 time and it took 2 days ( i have Rear Entertainment ) so the front and rear had to be done and the nav is also done,
Old 03-23-2013, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've tried a red grommet AMI cable, after rebooting MMI. The behavior is identical. I could already see album art previously. It seems to have been enabled with the 0609 firmware update.

I could be wrong, but I believe the 0609 firmware makes it irrelevant whether you have the blue or the red cable.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wilfred2k5
I've tried a red grommet AMI cable, after rebooting MMI. The behavior is identical. I could already see album art previously. It seems to have been enabled with the 0609 firmware update.

I could be wrong, but I believe the 0609 firmware makes it irrelevant whether you have the blue or the red cable.
One thing I have noticed is that audio glitches with an iPhone 4s and the red grommet cable. Not so with the blue.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I was just about to bring this up, because I live in Chicago and the sun finally came up so I decided to get my car washed. I have a 2011 and while waiting I asked the guy in the service dept, he didn't know what I was talking about. So he walked me over to parts and i explained to the guy what I was looking for, he said he has it and brought it up. He told me just to take it and try it on my car to see if it works before I purchased it, and it did! My software is up to date or close to, I am not sure how to check. All it took was to switch it out with the blue one and it only costs $80.

He did say that they aren't coming in new vehicles, you have to ask for it. So, if they say they don't have it then they just are to lazy to check.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone have the part # for the cable with the red grommet? My dealer hasn't heard of it. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Part No. for Red Grommeted MMI Cable

Originally Posted by turbonator
Does anyone have the part # for the cable with the red grommet? My dealer hasn't heard of it. Thanks.
The Audi part no. is: 4F0-051-510-R. Should be about $70.00.

Quick Reply: Red MMI Cable