A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS5 Aluminum Pedal Set Installation - Minor Modification Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up RS5 Aluminum Pedal Set Installation - Minor Modification Needed

Some of you may recall me asking about whether Aluminum Pedal Set from RS5 will fit our D4 A8.

My previous post on RS5 Aluminum Pedals

Well, I decided to give it a shot. I ordered the pedal set from ECS Tuning back in Jan 2012. It came to just over $250 with shipping. The set was out of stock but just became available and I got it today.

RS5 Pedal Set on ECS Tuning

The set consists of Dead Pedal, Brake Pedal, and Accelerator Pedal covers.

First the Brake Pedal Cover.

It's designed as a direct replacement for the existing rubber brake pedal cover. If you look at the rubber backing carefully, you can see that it's designed to go in one way only. You need to slip the left and bottom portion of the cover before hooking on the right and top part of the cover.

Brake and Accelerator Pedal Covers.

Accelerator Cover is designed to go over the top of the existing plastic accerlator pedal. Accerlator Pedal cover also only goes in one way. You need to slip the left and bottom side in first, then slowly wiggle in the right side of the pedal cover.

Brake and Accelerator Pedals with Brake Pedal Rubber Cover Removed.

Covers installed after ~15 minutes of struggling.

Dead Pedal Installation was much tougher. The dead pedal is secured to the floor with 4 plastic round tabs, long tab that fits into slot along the left side of the pedal, and metal clip along the top which attaches to the underside of the dash. I was able to remove the dead pedal by simply pulling up on it, HARD!!! Some of the round tabs are going to break off. I broke 2 of 4 pulling it out, and later 1 more pulling it out again. Once you have the round tabs out, you need to then pull out the plastic side panel (so that it bows) as shown by the red arrows to get the long plastic tab on the dead pedal out from the floor.

Hear is the comparison of factory dead pedal and RS5 dead pedal.

Existing A8 dead pedal only has 4 round tabs whereas the RS5 dead pedal has 5 round tabs. In addition, the tabs are in different locations. What to do???

I decided to modify the RS5 dead pedal by removing the metal/rubber component from the plastic base and then installing it on A8 dead pedal. The metal/rubber top is secured to the plastic base by several metal tabs. It's easy to remove by simply straightening the metal tabs and pulling them apart. The A8 Dead pedal is slightly different in shape and size from the RS5 plastic base and some modification was required.

I used a Dremel tool to make cuts in the plastic base (as shown by red circles above) to fit the metal/rubber top to the A8 Dead pedal. You also need to put some material between the rubber piece and the A8 dead pedal so that the rubber nibs don't sink in. I used some plastic foam spacers.

Installation is reversal of removal.

Here are some final shots of the RS5 pedals in D4 A8L. I think it should have come like this from the factory. It looks great!

Old 03-17-2012, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done! Looks awesome!!!!
Old 03-17-2012, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks,

They also sell brake pedal cover and accelerator pedal cover separately, so if you wanted to replace just those 2 pedals, it's a simple 15 minute mod.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for this write up. Just got my pedals today. Will attempt install soon.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this is old but these pedals from ECS are now $415!!!!!!! Crazy. You can get OEM on ebay for about $250 still.