A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the s8 plagued with oil starved turboes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 09:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are many posts on this - pertaining to other models - however the engines themselves are the same. It seems that its more common in tuned cars, however I've seen a lot of posts with people who have their blow on stock files.

I had an S6, which a month after going Stage 2, the turbos literally shattered. The driver's side turbine went through my intercooler, into the passenger side, screwed up the compressor wheel there, pieces were found in my downpipe (drivers side), pieces were also found as far away as the air filter. Nothing inside the engine, thank god.

I replaced it with RS7 turbos.

The leading cause of this (as USP stated when they did the work on my car) was the oil feeder/bleeder lines and the oil screen, which gets clogged and can starve the turbos of oil the faster they spin. Tune the car, increase boost, increase the spool.

I'm currently about to purchase an S8 - the first project I'm going to do is replace the parts mentioned above.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Killship
There are many posts on this - pertaining to other models - however the engines themselves are the same. It seems that its more common in tuned cars, however I've seen a lot of posts with people who have their blow on stock files.

I had an S6, which a month after going Stage 2, the turbos literally shattered. The driver's side turbine went through my intercooler, into the passenger side, screwed up the compressor wheel there, pieces were found in my downpipe (drivers side), pieces were also found as far away as the air filter. Nothing inside the engine, thank god.

I replaced it with RS7 turbos.

The leading cause of this (as USP stated when they did the work on my car) was the oil feeder/bleeder lines and the oil screen, which gets clogged and can starve the turbos of oil the faster they spin. Tune the car, increase boost, increase the spool.

I'm currently about to purchase an S8 - the first project I'm going to do is replace the parts mentioned above.

The S8 Engine has some very big differences from the s6, s7, rs7 and a8 4.0T engines.
Different turbos, intakes, cams, main bearings, oil cooler.

More here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...ences-2913344/