A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 plus Black optics package

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default S8 plus Black optics package

Folks...toying with the idea of ordering a S8 plus brand new. Not sure if I will pull the trigger but its been a lot of fun researching the car.

A lot of what I am seeing hitting dealer inventories are cars with the black optiics package which basically deletes the brushed AL mirrors which have been a S model hallmark.

Thinking of moonlight blue but without the black optics package but cannot find a real world pic for the life of me expect for the car configurator.

What does the forum think? Will ordering a non black optic package S8 plus make it an oddball?
Old 03-19-2016, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Nope. Get what you want. It's too expensive not to.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Nope. Get what you want. It's too expensive not to.
+1

Also, I'm with the OP...I'd prefer the more traditional exterior "S" trim effects versus the carbon fiber look on the mirror housings, lip spoiler, etc. The only element in the Black Optics exterior package that I would want is the darker rear tail light lenses. Interior carbon fiber trim is fine, but for exterior...meh, IMO.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts

I'm with derf [side note to derf: hey, AW just tried to change you again to deaf!--saw it on my screen].

I have Daytona gray and frankly think the S8 is already a little too monochromatic from the side view. I have the smoke/graphite type wheel color that makes it worse if anything. Subtle, but they are also a matte finish so don't stand out at all. The wheels on my W12 are two tone polished face and clear coat smoke in the barrel area and seem classier to my (older) eyes. Lighter wheels help show the brakes better too, which is a definite performance feature on the S8 even in the straight stock system. 6 piston Brembo style, big honkin' rotors on quasi floating pins, etc. If I had a white or other light color, I could see it, but not on a darker one like most color choices are. And again, I think the gray/smoke ones would look better in those light colors than the black look. Or, for yet other ideas as a one off, if it is black, then the anodized ones with the black chrome that do look like something special if you want some bling but still OE wheels. Better wheel shops and refinishers deal with those. Some eBay listings are running currently w/ them, one in U.S. and one from Germany w/ U.S. shipping. Pricy but unique; way less than the package too.

But if you want monochromatic, have at it. Your car to smile about so this is just "survey" type feedback as you decide. Not convinced at all on the carbon fiber outside stuff either. Looks aftermarket. Oh, and anything involving that lower front trim piece under the front grill: it will last about a week before the first chin scrape in the real world. S8 was a very long and low snout--too long on D bodies in general and the S8 lower bumper spoiler look is aggressive and pretty darn low. The aluminum one is over $500 even discounted dealer--just for that little piece! Let me guess the carbon one will be like 2-3x that. Rear trunk spoiler in carbon I think is going to look inevitably aftermarket tack-on too.

I would go for the darker exhaust BTW, but that ties to the performance package sport exhaust not the finish itself. S8 can be dialed up some exhaust sound wise via MMI controls for the individual setting of drive select (and I have), but another notch more would make me smile a little more. On the other hand, since brakes are top notch already, close to my limit paying 10 grand or so for those and a chip speed limiter mod to go another 35 MPH faster than the already at least 50MPH too fast (155) than mine will ever see. Even with the critiques here though, as an enthusiast I would probably spring for that performance package. As a used car in a few years, I think it will get value. To me the dark stuff would be a quasi negative as a used buyer of a high end S8. I just was.

A side note to Audi on the other (performance) package that also flows from the sport exhaust: if it's about unsprung weight with those carbon brakes, work on the way lower cost porker wheels first. I put one of the factory 21's (5 arm) on the scale the other day that I took off briefly to check clearance and future winters. 67.6 pounds. Ridiculous. My D3 A8 W12 in factory 20's with 275/35's weighs in at 57.0. That is already a lot, but expected with a (quality) OE wheel. Even with some added tire wear, there is literally 10 pounds of pure unsprung rotating mass pork incrementally on the S8. Thus, the carbon brake idea is always cool but really big bucks, and here obviously Audi did squat on wheel mass getting way out of hand. Literally across the four wheels, that's as much pork as the carbon brakes take out (more in front, very little in back), even on the D3 that had non alloy hat rotors). Truth in Engineering forgot to mention the truth of the wheel weights in their carbon brakes usual talking points.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-19-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Frankly, I dont get all the blacked out elements and their popularity. Just looks dirty to me and reminiscent of a 17 year old's vision of the car. Considering resale I think it would hurt you. I cant see a lot of middle aged guys with money wanting to look gangster.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
A side note to Audi on the other package that also flows from the sport exhaust: if it's about unsprung weight with those carbon brakes, work on the way lower cost porker wheels first...carbon brake idea is always cool but really big bucks, and here obviously Audi did squat on wheel mass getting way out of hand. Literally across the four wheels, that's as much pork as the carbon brakes take out (more in front, very little in back), even on the D3 that had non alloy hat rotors). Truth in Engineering forgot to mention the truth of the wheel weights in their carbon brakes usual talking points.
Even though a side note, you make a really good observation about unsprung weight of the wheels. IIRC, wasn't there some pre-D4 debut press coverage back in 2009 or 2010 of ceramic or carbon wheels coming on the A8 and S8? Talked specifically about reducing unstrung weight at the corners and other added efficiencies. I guess the production cost curve didn't pan out, since they were never offered.

Last edited by derfA8L; 03-19-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I'm with derf [side note to derf: hey, AW just tried to change you again to deaf!--saw it on my screen]..
Ha! Good thing I'm not paranoid or I'd think there was some insidious plot afoot between my wife and AW 🙄
Old 03-20-2016, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Re the wheel weight, I test drove a 2013 4.0t A8L last week, and the handling was less than I expected in dynamic compared to my 2007 SWB with the sport suspension. I had assumed it was a result of the longer wheel base, but perhaps unsprung weight played a part.

And it's getting to the point that at my age these tires are getting more and more difficult to lift.

Last edited by Mike911A8; 03-20-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
Re the wheel weight, I test drove a 2013 4.0t A8L last week, and the handling was less than I expected in dynamic compared to my 2007 SWB with the sport suspension. I had assumed it was a result of the longer wheel base, but perhaps unsprung weight played a part.
I don't know if it was the wheels as much as the wheelbase. I drove an S8 once, and the wheelbase made a big difference in handling feel, while the ride quality in comfort was comparable to my A8L in dynamic. Steering was on the heavy side, though, and the dealer had Armor-Alled the steering wheel. Morons.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mike911A8

And it's getting to the point that at my age these tires are getting more and more difficult to lift.
Probably a combination of extra wheelbase length and lack of sport suspension. Even in Dynamic mode the LWB's mass is such that making aggressive turns at speed can be a bit jiggly...Any D4, but especially in LWB trim (and without a sports calibrated adaptive air suspension), substantially benefits from having the rear sports differential option with dynamic steering---keeps the long car's rear end firmly planted and stable while making sure the car is always pointed in the direction of driver steering input. Probably the millionth time I've posted this opinion on the forum, but I'm a true believer after having the rear sports diff on both my D4s.

Quick Reply: S8 plus Black optics package