A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 vs A8 Sport Package

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S8 vs A8 Sport Package

Hi all,

Has anyone compared the drive on the new S8 to a sport package A8?

Was just wondering whether the S8 is significant tighter in its handling and/or firmer in its ride?

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I own d4 A8 w sport pkg. Drives excellent. Some moderate but expected body roll in cornering. Car tracks very well in corners without noticeable understeer. I drive aggressively, but not crazily, and have not been able to exceed the limits of this car.

Last weekend I was lucky enough to drive my neighbor's friends new S8 for about 10 minutes. The S8 is crazy fast. Unless you are at a drag strip or get your jollies from smoking M5s, the car is almost too fast for a sedan. The handling is also impeccable. Almost no body roll. But you lose a little bit of he luxury feel that the normal A8 offers.

The S8 is wonderful, but the only point the I see for the vehicle is if your household won't have a true sports car available for when he urge arises. If you want sports car feel with 4 seating capacity, and can't afford a Ferrari FF, then the S8 is the choice. I have never driven the Panamera Turbo, however.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by BigGrasshopper
I own d4 A8 w sport pkg. Drives excellent. Some moderate but expected body roll in cornering. Car tracks very well in corners without noticeable understeer. I drive aggressively, but not crazily, and have not been able to exceed the limits of this car.

Last weekend I was lucky enough to drive my neighbor's friends new S8 for about 10 minutes. The S8 is crazy fast. Unless you are at a drag strip or get your jollies from smoking M5s, the car is almost too fast for a sedan. The handling is also impeccable. Almost no body roll. But you lose a little bit of he luxury feel that the normal A8 offers.

The S8 is wonderful, but the only point the I see for the vehicle is if your household won't have a true sports car available for when he urge arises. If you want sports car feel with 4 seating capacity, and can't afford a Ferrari FF, then the S8 is the choice. I have never driven the Panamera Turbo, however.
Thanks for your reply. I share your feeling about some of the German flagship sedans just getting too caught up with the HP wars.
In my opinion, the engine should be matched to the chassis and I really don't think these 500 HP luxo barges are well matched to the chassis. I would rather they concentrate on the handling of the car and road feel instead of sheer HP.

That said, I think Audi has been doing a better job of late than BMW for example. The new 750 IMO has awful road feel and handling characteristics.

By the way, the Panamera Turbo is a brilliant car....Porsche has done wonders in introducing some comfort while maintaining traditional Porsche handling characteristics. It has had a few issues with reliability but not as many as the Beemers I've seen.

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:21 AM
L0U
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGrasshopper
This is what I like to hear. The S8 makes for an easier transition from sports sedan (S4) to sport/luxury sedan. I might just replace the S with an A next time around, for the cushier ride.

Your description is pretty bang on for what I was hoping for. Jollies from smoking M cars!