A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service due light reset

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Julian

I am a UK owner as well. I have a 2013 Hybrid. Not many about!

Service intervals are a mystery to all, including the dealers. You seem to have delved in to a fairly technical level, so this may be a little simple for you, but my understanding is this:

Oil Service is a basic Oil and filter change £170 to £200 (more for a V8?)
This is set for 12 Months/9,000 miles. It can be set for high mileage drivers to 18,000 miles.

Inspection service is set to 2 years, and 18,000 miles ( I believe the miles can be extended if you are on the high miles programme as above).

An inspection service is just that, a bi annual check up, and can be as little as £300.

So the plan is oil and filter change year 1 (or 9,000 miles)
Inspection service year 2 / 18,000 miles (this will be oil filters, and "check" brakes/brake fluid/coolant/cabin filter etc, replace as needed)

So in reality not much different to a small/intermediate/small/big service cycle in any other car.

The only problem comes when they go out of phase (the owner can re set the oil change) So if a previous owner has done 4,000 miles a year, he can re set the oil service warning and go say 20 Months before doing an oil service. (at 8,000miles, but also just under 2 years). but the inspection service will the become due in 3/4 Months time ( e.g. 20 Months plus another 4 to get to 2 years.). These will then forever be out of sync. I ended up having an inspection service 4 Months and 3,000 miles after my Oil service, and refused to have the oil changed, as it was stupid.

I now stick to an oil change every 9/10k miles or yearly (and reset the service indicator myself). then do an inspection service every 2 years (with an oil change!)

I hope that makes sense. I am not sure Audi were that wrong with this process. What messes it up are: 1)The extended service intervals (e.g. you can opt to increase the intervals, and 2) Owners not doing oil changes and re setting the oil change indicator to extend for another year.

I hope that may help a little!

Paul
Old 08-07-2020, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Paul; not a bad summary of what goes on [rather than what should go on] in the UK!
The misnomer you quote is 'High Mileage'. Nowhere that I recall in the Audi service books does it says 'Extended Service' is for high mileage and Extended Service [with its 'high spec' oil] is what it's set to at the factory, for UK cars.

My conclusion, based on what I read elsewhere, is that Audi UK have 'contrived' with the UK dealer network to persuade Audi drivers that 'Extended' is for 'High Mileage' users so as to get all drivers into the dealers every year. [High mileage drivers on Extended Service will be in every year anyway and low mileage drivers will be in every year as they are on fixed plans which set the DIS warning]. If you reset the indicator manually without the use of a diag. toool like VCDS, you'll convert Extended to Fixed.

The interesting thing is that I believe dealers always use the higher spec. 'Extended life' oil anyway as it isn't actually any more expensive for them in bulk!
If you have purchased the Audi UK 'Service Plan', it is a REQUIREMENT that you have service set to fixed.

Audi are also a bit disingeneous anyway as I don't think it says that an Inspection should include oil as that it on a seperate interval anyway.
My view; I don't use an Audi dealer anyway and I specifically ask for an oil change when the oil service is due and an inspection [fuel, cabin filters etc] without oil change when an Inspection service is due.

'Each to his own' - for 12 years, over 2 A8s, I've always used Extended Service, both as a high mileage driver [26,000 miles per year] and low mileage [7,500 miles per year] ...

Julian
Old 08-07-2020, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Julian,

Agreed.

I now use an independent in Waltham Cross. Half the price, better customer service. They do "small" and "Major" services. My small was £135 which felt good to me.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by HerrK
FYI - Using the Foxwell NT510 or one of the various "Schwaben" versions. I have a Schwaben 14020 for BMW/Mini with the VAG software also installed. Reset the "Oil Service" and "Inspection Service" with the following steps.

1. Turn Ignition to "ON" without starting the engine (keep you foot off of the brake).
2. Plug the NT510/Schwaben into the OBD port.
3. Select VAG Group
4. Select Audi
5. Select "Common Special Functions"
6. Select "Oil Service"
7. Select "SMALL" for "Oil Service" reset
a. Select your interval in km - 15,000 km = 9,400 miles, or 7,500 km = 4700 miles, or 5,000 km = 3,100 miles, or "Manual" and you can enter whatever interval you desire in km & days.
8. Select "High Maintenance" to reset "Service Inspection"
a. Select your interval in km - 30,000 km = 18,750 miles, or 60,000 km = 37,500 miles, or "Manual" and you can enter whatever interval you desire in km & days.

For those of you with diesel engines you can also use the Foxwell/Schwaben tool to change your fuel filter and then fill the new empty fuel filter using the tool as follows.

1. Turn Ignition to "ON" without starting the engine (keep you foot off of the brake).
3. Select VAG Group
4. Select Audi
5. Select "Systems"
6. Select "Control Unit"
7. Select "Engine"
8. Select "Active Test"
9. Select "Fuel Pump Electronics"
Then do a cycle by selecting "Start" (this cycles the "in-tank fuel pump on for 3-4 seconds with an alternate "off" pause. Let this run in the start position for a minute or two to ensure the filter is full. Complete by selecting "Stop". I repeated this for one additional cycle "Start/Stop" to minimize the possibility of air in the system and cavitation of the High Pressure pump.

This primes the new filter and prevents cavitation of the High Pressure Fuel Pump. Cavitation of the High Pressure Fuel Pump has a very high potential of destroying the pump and sending metal to the injectors. Followed by a very costly repair bill.
Hi there
After reading the above it would seem that you know quite a bit about the Foxwell NT510 so I was wondering if you can help me with my problems as seen below ;My vehicle is an Audi A3 an 8P1 [2003-2012] Hatchback·1.9 TDI Hatchback·1896ccm 105HP 77KW.

Registered March 2009.

I plug in the port and I then try to find various areas and to be honest I am struggling.:confused :

I have three areas that I would like to address immediately.
  1. The driver's Air bag warning light, the vehicle has not been in a collision
  2. The spanner / miles symbol
  3. I would also like to energise the chirp unlock / lock sound.
  4. I have read the accompanying "User's Guide" but this does not address the problems above.
Do Foxwell publish a "flowchart" which will enable me to see from the start after it is plugged into my vehicle to what I am trying to address?

If you can help me I would really appreciate it.

Kind regards

Tony

I am not changing the "clock time" until 25 October
I fully appreciate that this is in the wrong Forum section

Last edited by sheffieldyorky; 10-01-2020 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Wrong Forum information
Old 10-01-2020, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sheffieldyorky
  1. The driver's Air bag warning light, the vehicle has not been in a collision
  2. The spanner / miles symbol
Sorry, not a Foxwell user, so can't help you with how to use it but:

Air bag light can indicate a number of different issues, not just collision detection. [I had an Audi airbag light on because my passenger had managed to dislodge the cable under the seat]
You need to check for faults in Unit 15 on the A3 - the Airbags control unit.

I'm sure you're aware the spanner is on due to service interval expiry. You need to investigate the adaptation channel settings in Unit 17 - the Instrument panel. [See an example, acquired by VCDS off an equivalent A3 panel to see what numbers there are].

Julian

Code:
VCDS Release 16.8.4: SRI Reset
Control Module Part Number: 8P0 920 982 J Labels: 8P0-920-xxx-17-MY8.clb
Component:KOMBIINSTR. VDO H03 0990, Coding:0004428

Operation: Please select an operation
Channel Description Unit Current val.
02 Service Reminder Status 2
40 Distance since Service km x100 143
41 Time since Service Days 291
42 Minimum Distance to Service km x100 145
43 Maximum Distance to Service km x100 300
44 Maximum Time to Service Days 730
45 Oil Quality 1
47 Soot Quantity km x100 184
48 Thermal Load km x100 111
49 Minimum Time to Service Days 730
50 Basic Distance Value for Oil Change km x100 145
51 Basic Time Value for Oil Change Days 365
52 Basic Distance Value for Inspection km x100 284
53 Distance since Inspection km x100           143
54 Basic Time Value for Inspection Days        395
55 Time since Inspection Days                  291
56 Day Counter Days                            2397

Last edited by JulianHicks; 10-01-2020 at 03:14 AM.
Old 12-20-2021, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HerrK
FYI - Using the Foxwell NT510 or one of the various "Schwaben" versions. I have a Schwaben 14020 for BMW/Mini with the VAG software also installed. Reset the "Oil Service" and "Inspection Service" with the following steps.

3. Select VAG Group
4. Select Audi
5. Select "Common Special Functions"
6. Select "Oil Service"
7. Select "SMALL" for "Oil Service" reset
a. Select your interval in km - 15,000 km = 9,400 miles, or 7,500 km = 4700 miles, or 5,000 km = 3,100 miles, or "Manual" and you can enter whatever interval you desire in km & days.
8. Select "High Maintenance" to reset "Service Inspection"
a. Select your interval in km - 30,000 km = 18,750 miles, or 60,000 km = 37,500 miles, or "Manual" and you can enter whatever interval you desire in km & days.

For those of you with diesel engines you can also use the Foxwell/Schwaben tool to change your fuel filter and then fill the new empty fuel filter using the tool as follows.

3. Select VAG Group
4. Select Audi
5. Select "Systems"
6. Select "Control Unit"
7. Select "Engine"
8. Select "Active Test"
9. Select "Fuel Pump Electronics"
Then do a cycle by selecting "Start" (this cycles the "in-tank fuel pump on for 3-4 seconds with an alternate "off" pause. Let this run in the start position for a minute or two to ensure the filter is full. Complete by selecting "Stop". I repeated this for one additional cycle "Start/Stop" to minimize the possibility of air in the system and cavitation of the High Pressure pump.

This primes the new filter and prevents cavitation of the High Pressure Fuel Pump. Cavitation of the High Pressure Fuel Pump has a very high potential of destroying the pump and sending metal to the injectors. Followed by a very costly repair bill.
Thank you HerrK

I can confirm this works

FOXWELL Multi-System Scanner NT510 Elite - £111.00 - UK
https://www.obdiitool.co.uk/wholesal...e-scanner.html
Registered device at https://www.foxwelltech.us/ device not found on UK site.
Purchased and Downloaded VW software (Includes Audi) from Foxwell US (£63) as I had BMW software on the device bought.
Reset the Inspection Service successfully by following your advice.

Regards

GT67