A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow warmup

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow warmup

Hi guys, I have issue with engine warming up slow. It takes 15-20min highway driving from cold to reach operating temp. My work is about 15 min away so I'm cold all the time.
Once it gets to the temp. stays there even if i go down long grade with no load on engine temp will not decrease.
Car is now at Audi dealer and they have replaced thermostat and few other parts but it did not help.
Now they are saying it is normal for this car to take this long to get up to temp.
So, my question for owners of 2011-2013 A8 4.2 is what is your warmup time/distance.
Thanks.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:43 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the car diverts heat to the transmission when cold so it takes a bit for it to get up to operating temp, 15 min is probably about right if cold outside but I get warm air anyway and pretty much after a few minutes.
Once warm it should not decrease in temp as long as the engine is running, that's why cars have thermostats.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is my first A8 but any other car i owned including 5.0 w12 BMW 850i
heated up much faster.
If you don't mind can you please time your warmup time/distance next time you go out. It would be great help since car is under CPO warranty and dealer is looking for way out of fixing it.
They say there is no data from audi tech department to tell what is the acceptable warmup time.
If I have conformation from other owners i might have fighting chance.
I need to know when 4th led segment on temp. gauge lights up.
Thank you in advance.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is my first A8 but any other car i owned including 5.0 v12 BMW 850i
heated up much faster.
If you don't mind can you please time your warmup time/distance next time you go out. It would be great help since car is under CPO warranty and dealer is looking for way out of fixing it.
They say there is no data from audi tech department to tell what is the acceptable warmup time.
Thank you in advance.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can't speak to the A8, but in my S8 I may share the same issue with you. Not sure. When you say "operating temperature" do you mean water temperature? In the S8, maximum RPM is restricted to 5400 until the engine (oil temperature) warms appropriately. Then, I can go to the maximum 6400 RPM. In very cold outside temperature, say 15 degrees or below, it takes about 10 minutes of highway driving or about 10 miles of highway driving to allow full performance. Normal water temperature/heat is available in half that time.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:32 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Migasa
This is my first A8 but any other car i owned including 5.0 v12 BMW 850i
heated up much faster.
Thank you in advance.
I don't think anything is wrong with your car and also think you have your timing, 10-15 min or 10 miles? Even if anyone measured the time it will depend on outside temperature and how hard you push the engine so any specific timing has to many variables to really help you.
My old A8 was much quicker but did not heat up the transmission so any reference to other cars are meaningless unless they have the same setup.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Also the ambient temperature is going to make a difference. If you park outside vs. a garage and it's really cold outside it will take longer to reach operating temperature. Seat heaters are great for cold days. I only have an 8 minute commute so my car never gets up to temp when it's cold out.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

My A8 takes around 15 minutes to warm up enough to use the heater when it's below freezing. It's normal, with the warm up time extended as a result of coolant running through the transmission to warm it up faster. Warm up time varies depending on conditions, taking a bit longer for extreme cold. Fortunately, the heated seats and steering wheel work excellent. Now, if only they added a heating element to the shifter/hand rest.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I guess it is normal then. I just can't believe that audi's flagship has this flaw. I don't know if transmission heating is something specific to audi but no other car I ever owned took so long time. My LS460 took 5 min to reach op. temp. Oh, well...
Thank you all for putting my mind at ease. I think.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes I thought it odd as well when I picked up my 4.2 L. It does take about 10-15 mins after start-up before engine temp levels. My 100 series Landcruiser with a 4.7 v8 gets up to leveled engine temp in like 3 mins or so. very fast.

Quick Reply: Slow warmup