A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow warmup

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 718 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by Migasa
Yeah, I was just commenting to my wife, what kind of CEO has time for audi forums. Lonely, she replied.
Actually, reading and participating on this forum (and the other AW forums) is a nice respite to, and distraction from, the stress and tumult of the corporate world and business ownership. As a VP in the corporate media world for many years I often escaped into the AW realm as a stress reliever---my co-workers referred to this distraction as "Audi ****." And now as an SVP in a company owned by my spouse (of all things, if you can imagine), checking in on this forum is essential to maintaining my sanity 😅

Last edited by derfA8L; 02-18-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awkward.
You are right I guess.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Awkward.
You are right I guess.
Ha! Dealing with all the "kids" working at the firm can drive me to an AW session. In reality, I'm the luckiest guy on the planet...my wife and I have never gotten along better since we've been working together---I can't explain it, but it works somehow. Life can be stranger than fiction, as I'm constantly reminded. Probably doesn't hurt that it's something she pushed for...Or maybe spending all that time together in our A8L helps a bit 😃

Last edited by derfA8L; 02-18-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

True.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah, I was just commenting to my wife, what kind of CEO has time for audi forums. Lonely, she replied.
Sir, did you read my post on the auto mode?? I drive 25k miles a year and I leaned back in 2006 to not to use auto mode ever in any of my cars, Lexus, Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc. Audi auto mode feels like it takes 15 min for car to be warm. When I am in my A8 I switch out of the auto mode and keep in manual with my vents to the front of me and feet only and the car is hot after 5 minutes of driving out of my garage or even parked outside in cold Michigan weather. My 2012 Audi A8L and 2006 A8L warm up fast and are super hot after 5-8 minutes with this method. When you want to shut of the a/c, press off and when you want it on, press the fan icon, Dont ever press auto or it resets the whole thing and you have to manually adjust the vents and temperature. Even at 72 to 74 degrees in my 2012 A8L, 2014 Audi A6, and 2016 Audi A7 its hot. I used to own 2012 BMW 5, 2013 Lexus GS and their system is not as good.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Well, speaking for us CEOs that ride in the rear cabin of our A8s, the car is always at its optimal operating temp and the cabin temp is where we desire when our drivers arrive to pick us up...And we prefer the term "wealthy folk" rather than "rich people." j/k 😆
In all seriousness, I'm surprised to hear about some of you folks having this issue. Both my 2011 and 2015 D4s' provided/provide decent initial heat into the cabin in less time than what I'm hearing here from some of you. I guess some of this depends on how soon you get the car in gear and moving at a moderate speed to get enough warmed coolant flowing through the heater coil sooner versus not quickly accessing a roadway that allows you to accomplish this. However, I believe my 2015 reaches its proper operating temp and heats up faster compared to the prior 2011, so perhaps Audi was addressing this issue (although an issue I never experienced myself). I think it may have to do with how the thermostat operates---perhaps restricting coolant flow to the engine initially, thus producing more heat more quickly. Not actually sure about this however.
Hey Derf. I use manual mode all the time and keep it that way in all my Audi. I press off and when I want it on, I press the fan button and never never auto mode. The auto mode in all of my cars are pathetic (BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, etc). Its a stupid program to be honest nothing like good fast heating and cool down that auto cannot provide. I go to my own settings and it works tons faster. Nothing to do with 2015 vs 2012 vs 2006 Audi A8L.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will try that, but i was talking about slow engine warmup. Warm air starts coming out in reasonable time. Since my car is under CPO warranty i wanted to make sure that engine warmup time is normal. In cold weather (around freezing point) only after 15 mile of highway driving temp. gauge shows operating temp (4 bars).
My commuting is less than that so my engine is never reaching optimum temp. which can't be good for it.
With heated seats and steering wheel
it is not too bad but i needed to know
what are the other people experiences.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I will try that, but i was talking about slow engine warmup. Warm air starts coming out in reasonable time. Since my car is under CPO warranty i wanted to make sure that engine warmup time is normal. In cold weather (around freezing point) only after 15 mile of highway driving temp. gauge shows operating temp (4 bars).
My commuting is less than that so my engine is never reaching optimum temp. which can't be good for it.
With heated seats and steering wheel
it is not too bad but i needed to know
what are the other people experiences.
15 miles of highway driving and the car should have reached normal operating temp long before that, and I don't care what the outside ambient temp is. I'd bet the engine temp is sufficiently warmed up, but the temp readout is amiss...gauge, sensor issue which might also affect the release of the heat flow into the car interior. My 2011 would get to normal temp within 5 minutes of steady driving on a freezing day; certainly within 8 to 10 minutes if stop and go traffic. The 2015 gets to temp even quicker.

Last edited by derfA8L; 02-18-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
15 miles of highway driving and the car should have reached normal operating temp long before that, and I don't care what the outside ambient temp is. I'd bet the engine temp is sufficiently warmed up, but the temp readout is amiss...gauge, sensor issue which might also affect the release of the heat flow into the car interior. My 2011 would get to normal temp within 5 minutes of steady driving on a freezing day; certainly within 8 to 10 minutes if stop and go traffic. The 2015 gets to temp even quicker.
5 min. of highway driving. That sounds about right. Car is at dealer for 2 weeks now so i guess they have eliminated simple things.
I mean, if they thought there is nothing wrong with warmup time they would not try to fix it in a first place.
Right? Now dealer is telling me that my engine is running so efficiently and because of that it is slow to produce heat.
I guess I should be happy about it.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:24 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

5 min. of highway driving. That sounds about right. Car is at dealer for 2 weeks now so i guess they have eliminated simple things.
I mean, if they thought there is nothing wrong with warmup time they would not try to fix it in a first place.
Right? Now dealer is telling me that my engine is running so efficiently and because of that it is slow to produce heat.
I guess I should be happy about it.
You should probably find another dealer, seems they don't really understand the car. Either way I am not sure I understand why it's a problem, the car starts to blow heated air pretty much immediately and much faster than other cars and it also heats up the drive train to relieve overall mechanical stress?

It took mine 13 km and around 12 minutes starting at 12 Celcius soft driving for my car to light up the forth led, the 3rd led came on around 8 km today.

Quick Reply: Slow warmup