A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug fouling normal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clarification from my previous post. The last time the EPC light came on and the engine misfired (at ~40K miles), it does not appear that Audi changed any of the plugs. There is no mention of plug replacement in the service report. The service report says that they pulled the plugs and that all the plugs were "dark". It further says that they "moved" (?) the plugs and coils and cleared the faults and that the faults did not reappear. So it appears that all of the plugs have about 13K miles on them now including the one in the pic I posted. Also, since the plugs were "moved" it is unclear where the plug in the pic was originally installed. The service report also says that they did a compression test that showed normal on all cylinders.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The trip to Audi dealer #2 was disappointing. They stated that since there was no obvious signs of an issue (no error codes, etc.) they could not do much. Wasted trip I guess. I sent Audi USA an email on the issue but haven't heard back yet. Not sure what else I can do at this point except wait for the EPC and check engine lights to come on again so I can actually get some work done on it.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

The only times I've heard of spark plugs getting loose (or even shot out of engines) was with water/oil/gas intrusion into the cylinder and the spark plug being the first pressure trip to give.

And you have SOMETHING in that (those) cylinders that are not supposed to be there.

Good luck!
Old 12-27-2017, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Looking at that spark plug tells me that you may, eventually ,have some coolant/gas mix into that specific cylinder (head gasket failure maybe) signs from piston rings failure would be totally different, it could also be valves related, and yes the spark plug have some deposits on it but I think it was still working well. It is also hard for me to believe that you have carbon deposits at your mileage, just my .02. I would also call a couple more dealers see if somebody will be willing to dig deeper in this issue. Good luck !
Old 12-27-2017, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, if you really want to get anywhere with cooperate you will need to start a case and try to get it evaluated to the district representative. It's what I had to do. My issues was different and had more to do with the dealer but it was what it took. At least you want it well documented. Extend your warranty.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Time to trade in!

as I suggested before, go right to sales and trade that puppy in! There is nothing wrong with it according to the service department. Let them choke on their own words! By the way there is a service that analyzes your oil and can tell what is in it BESIDES oil!
Old 12-27-2017, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevereddy
as I suggested before, go right to sales and trade that puppy in! There is nothing wrong with it according to the service department. Let them choke on their own words! By the way there is a service that analyzes your oil and can tell what is in it BESIDES oil!
Great point. A UOA would tell you immediately if coolant was to blame. I kind of doubt it though. Blackstone is what I used in the past.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
Also, if you really want to get anywhere with cooperate you will need to start a case and try to get it evaluated to the district representative. It's what I had to do. My issues was different and had more to do with the dealer but it was what it took. At least you want it well documented. Extend your warranty.
How do you start a case?
Old 12-27-2017, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts

Different take or idea. To be honest, I'm not sure I can tell what your service history is now. Nor if I have my skeptical hat on am I 100% convinced any plugs were changed, maybe ever. Put that aside though for a minute...

Where are you on your 40K maintenance? (Actually at 35K for the first on for any pre 2017 one) Have you done it? 40K is the "major" interval for the 4.0T or S8. Meaning a bunch of checks, plus air filter and plugs. If you have not done it, honestly I would do the whole thing, by the book, soup to nuts. INCLUDING the plugs. "Again" just to eliminate possibility they weren't done before, but maybe just moved around. (Prior service invoice should show plugs BTW fo parts used, even if no price was shown since (if) warranty related. I would document it to the nth degree. If you aren't DIY'er and don't have AudiCare, have an indy do it. Document exactly which brand and type of plugs (or dealer supplied), etc. Of course do the oil and filter too, and of course use an Audi approved oil from the list. Then besides looking for codes, I would monitor the oil burning with good record keeping and I would pull the plugs again for visual inspection comfortably before warranty expiration--a few months if you run out by time, or like by 47or 48K if you run out by miles. If you see anything, photograph them all and press very hard. If you don't find anything, not much to be done other than wonder what has really happened at service level recently. Also continue monitoring for any PCV/oil separator issues.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-27-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Different take or idea. To be honest, I'm not sure I can tell what your service history is now. Nor if I have my skeptical hat on am I 100% convinced any plugs were changed, maybe ever. Put that aside though for a minute...

Where are you on your 40K maintenance? (Actually at 35K for the first on for any pre 2017 one) Have you done it? 40K is the "major" interval for the 4.0T or S8. Meaning a bunch of checks, plus air filter and plugs. If you have not done it, honestly I would do the whole thing, by the book, soup to nuts. INCLUDING the plugs. "Again" just to eliminate possibility they weren't done before, but maybe just moved around. (Prior service invoice should show plugs BTW fo parts used, even if no price was shown since (if) warranty related. I would document it to the nth degree. If you aren't DIY'er and don't have AudiCare, have an indy do it. Document exactly which brand and type of plugs (or dealer supplied), etc. Of course do the oil and filter too, and of course use an Audi approved oil from the list. Then besides looking for codes, I would monitor the oil burning with good record keeping and I would pull the plugs again for visual inspection comfortably before warranty expiration--a few months if you run out by time, or like by 47or 48K if you run out by miles. If you see anything, photograph them all and press very hard. If you don't find anything, not much to be done other than wonder what has really happened at service level recently. Also continue monitoring for any PCV/oil separator issues.
The "35K maintenance" was done at 30K miles when the fouling first occurred. According to the service report they changed the plugs, oil, etc. At 38K miles (8K miles after the full service including plug change)) the misfiring occurred again. They did not change anything this time - just moved parts around and cleared the faults. I had the plugs inspected at 43K miles (13K miles after the full service) and they looked dirty. The pic above is of plug #3 at 43K miles (13K miles after the full service with plug change). For what it's worth, the four plugs that I got pics of all look different with different coloration and different amounts of deposits. Here are the other 3.
Attached Thumbnails Spark plug fouling normal?-1.jpg   Spark plug fouling normal?-2.jpg   Spark plug fouling normal?-4.jpg  

Quick Reply: Spark plug fouling normal?