A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Malfunction: Continue Driving ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Transmission Malfunction: Continue Driving ???

Hi
I own a 2013 S8 that shows a Transmission Malfunction:You can continue driving light upon initial driving!
The car has 83k miles and has been serviced faithfully by Audi 100%! I've owned the car 1 year with no problems.
The symptoms I've noticed recently, after my last service for a recall- fuel damper/pressure issue is...
slow speed roughness felt in drive train! A vibration/roughness in up&down shifting, only in lower gears!

Any Idea what's going on? I want to take it to Audi, but having some insight woul be a tremendous help!

Thank You
RD
Old 05-18-2020, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts

You need a VCDS or similar dealer scan to have any real sense here. It could be low fluid--symptom not issue though, which in turn could be as easy as a leak or as hard as ______ ? Could be internal. Might be a sensor. All speculative. There is no obvious pattern or history AFAIK of many owners reporting issues with the transmission.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks
I like to be informed before entering the service dept at Audi. I may do myself some justice by either investing in a VCDS or @ least having it diagnosed by someone other than Audi ?!?!?!
I'm sure I need to do the flex pipe remedy for the vibrations, but this transmission fault light I really need to find the concern.
Can you say if checking the fluid level is difficult 1-10 for a handy mechanically inclined person like myself?
Old 05-18-2020, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Dawg
Thanks
I like to be informed before entering the service dept at Audi. I may do myself some justice by either investing in a VCDS or @ least having it diagnosed by someone other than Audi ?!?!?!
I'm sure I need to do the flex pipe remedy for the vibrations, but this transmission fault light I really need to find the concern.
Can you say if checking the fluid level is difficult 1-10 for a handy mechanically inclined person like myself?
To check fluid, you have to be under vehicle w/ it running and level when it reaches a specific fluid temp. 40-45C IIRC. Temp get checked either with an IR heat/temp gun aimed at pan area, or...VCDS. If full, extra fluid runs out the plug you remove to check. If not full, you have to pump some in to get it topped up.

Net, it's another notch above an oil drain. But it needs these diagnostic tools many don't have, plus the get under car while still level requires improvisation (Audis sitting on 4 jack stands being not an approach you see much...). Normally that in turn means a lift. But i do it on my conveniently sloped driveway on drive on ramps on one end, which gets it back to level if I position them correctly.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Your insight is appreciated. I can accomplish that task with a little ingenuity, but first things first. I need to get it diagnosed to determine if there's possibly another issue?
The VCDS should point me in a specific direction if I'm not mistaken, right? Are you aware of the obvious results it could show from low fluid level to _____? I have enough resources to find someone with a dealer level VCDS, just curious if it will specifically diagnose low fluid levels in the trans, or just give a malfunction?
If no, is there any exhaust/ cross members obstructions in accessing the transmission check plug?
Thank You for your insight
Old 05-19-2020, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Here's a good place to start:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...e-diy-2965019/

Search function is your friend..
Old 05-19-2020, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Indeed.. thanks JaL3
The following users liked this post:
JaL3 (05-19-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Update: Transmission Malfunction: Continue Driving ???

First, Thanks for all of the advice and direction with my concern.
I found that I had a (Selector Lever Range Fault) that caused my (Transmission Malfunction: Continue Driving light to cycle)
I was due for service and had my Stealership replace the Selector Level button/handle!!
They also reset the clutch adaptations which is what I think should have solved the whole problem, but they cant make any money that way!!

The transmission shifts much better as it learns my driving characteristics.

Thanks again for all the help
Road Dawg