A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK: Garage flooring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default UK: Garage flooring?

What do you guys do for garage flooring? Going to sort our garage out this spring and just trying to work out what to do for the floor. We have a concrete floor at the moment but when we bring in wet cars and especially cars with snow on them the garage gets wet and not very nice. Just looking for ideas as to what to do with the floor.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Epoxy coating is very nice, but expensive......
The following users liked this post:
statgator (10-10-2023)
Old 01-06-2018, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Only one long term solution. Race Deck. Anything you paint onto concrete will come up. I've been involved in this since 1966, and tried everything available.

Garage Flooring and shop flooring - RaceDeck Garage Floors
Old 01-06-2018, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Only one long term solution. Race Deck. Anything you paint onto concrete will come up. I've been involved in this since 1966, and tried everything available.

+1. Race Deck is great. The prep with epoxy coatings is crazy for the average homeowner.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Puzz1
+1. Race Deck is great. The prep with epoxy coatings is crazy for the average homeowner.

​​​​​​I'm in the UK race deck might be a little hard to get but there are alternatives that are sold here. I'll look into it.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default garage floor

Originally Posted by davey_b
What do you guys do for garage flooring? Going to sort our garage out this spring and just trying to work out what to do for the floor. We have a concrete floor at the moment but when we bring in wet cars and especially cars with snow on them the garage gets wet and not very nice. Just looking for ideas as to what to do with the floor.

I did a race deck floor thirteen years ago in one of my garages and it is holding up fine. I placed gardener's felt on the concrete prior to placing the race deck to minimize the noise of the plastic against the concrete.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyjsue
I did a race deck floor thirteen years ago in one of my garages and it is holding up fine. I placed gardener's felt on the concrete prior to placing the race deck to minimize the noise of the plastic against the concrete.
That is about how long mine has been down. The only caution for those installing is to make sure you leave sufficient clearance around the edges. It expands much more than you would expect as temperatures go up.

Since I live in the south where bugs are a problem, I dusted boric acid powder on the floor prior to putting mine down. Seems to have worked, no bugs.
mikesvwservice (05-02-2023)
Old 01-07-2018, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE

What about all the snow/salt and water? Does it stay on top or seeps through the boards onto concrete? Really curious as well, I'm garage remodel and was looking at this product!
Old 01-07-2018, 11:30 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Epoxy coat

Originally Posted by davey_b
I did my own epoxy coat. Had to power wash first and then the kit had an acid wash that you brushed first and let dry. Then you mixed and rolled 1/4 of garage at a time. Cleaning took an hours worth of work over a week. and the. Rolling epoxy was another couple of hours in one day. Took 24 hour to totally cure. Hard as a rock and wonderful to clean. Total cost was 200-300 for epoxy kit plus 50 to rent power washer.

Last edited by timshuwy; 01-07-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buyer beware for "U Coat It" -
I had their installer come and do my 3 car garage with their products, after 4 or 5 tries it's still an awful mess.
Their lifetime warranty only seems to cover the length of time that you are satisfied, after that - it's up.
In full disclosure, they will refund your money but then you're left with a garage floor that comes up in chunks, it can't be undone.