A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White Audi A8L: Black exhaust tip and carbon buildup around lower bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default White Audi A8L: Black exhaust tip and carbon buildup around lower bumper

Does anyone see any carbon or black color build up around the exhaust tip and around the bumper near the exhaust tips? We have noticed that on our 2012 Audi A8L if the car is not washed for a few weeks and Im concerned if that is a bad thing? The color is white and it can be a contributing factor to what we are seeing. We did not see this on the older 2006 Audi A8L in black or grey.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am seeing that 50 people has seen this forum and not a single comment. Here is why I dont say much on this forum compared to BMW or Lexus or Mercedes. Not enough owners for the A8s and those whom have these cars dont say much. Sad.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's carbon build up. During first few months I had my car, I religiously wiped it off, but it's a losing battle. Now after 18 months, my exhaust tip is black. I try not to think about the same sort of carbon that's building up in my intake pipes (notorious with these direct injection engines).
Old 04-28-2013, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baloo588
I am seeing that 50 people has seen this forum and not a single comment. Here is why I dont say much on this forum compared to BMW or Lexus or Mercedes. Not enough owners for the A8s and those whom have these cars dont say much. Sad.
Car forums are for enthusiasts, and unfortunately people who can afford to buy D4 A8s either could care less about car forums, or even if they do, don't have the time to post much.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by xradman
Car forums are for enthusiasts, and unfortunately people who can afford to buy D4 A8s either could care less about car forums, or even if they do, don't have the time to post much.
True true.

I am glad you responded to my question. Much appreciated!! Its not a big deal though but I was curious since its my first white car with the exhaust that is near the bumper so I have never noticed this before. It looks bad when I don't wash it much. I am washing it every 2 weeks now.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You raise a couple points:

1. Black tips on the exhaust can be easily cleaned with wadding polish rag or Simichrome (jeweler's polish that I find does a great job on the chrome).
2. Not accustomed to people waiting that long to wash their cars -- assuming they are enthusiasts.
3. While 50 or more people stopped by, it apparently isn't something that is a burning issue or something with which people have a desire to remedy. And besides, they may not all be A8 owners ... Kind of sour grapes attitude. Just saying...
Old 04-28-2013, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by A6S4
You raise a couple points:

1. Black tips on the exhaust can be easily cleaned with wadding polish rag or Simichrome (jeweler's polish that I find does a great job on the chrome).
2. Not accustomed to people waiting that long to wash their cars -- assuming they are enthusiasts.
3. While 50 or more people stopped by, it apparently isn't something that is a burning issue or something with which people have a desire to remedy. And besides, they may not all be A8 owners ... Kind of sour grapes attitude. Just saying...
Thanks. What about the carbon buildup around the bumper cover where the exhaust pipes insert through. They are becoming dirty despite me trying to keep the car clean. I wish they did square exhaust covers like the A8 W12 version.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. What about the carbon buildup around the bumper cover where the exhaust pipes insert through. They are becoming dirty despite me trying to keep the car clean. I wish they did square exhaust covers like the A8 W12 version.
I'm so "A-retentive" on keeping my car clean that I have detailing mist and towels in my trunk -- together with other items that keep the car presentable between washes. You might want to include that...but make sure you turn the towel often to keep from just spreading the residue. Also, keeping it well waxed should keep the stuff from sticking as well.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am very picky too and I have a kit that I keep in garage with a swifter sweeper hand held version to clean the interior from dust and a audi leather cleaner kit. I just have to try not to go overboard on the rear end now....
Old 04-28-2013, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very picky too and I have a kit that I keep in garage with a swifter sweeper hand held version to clean the interior from dust and a audi leather cleaner kit. I just have to try not to go overboard on the rear end now....
Initially you asked "Im concerned if that is a bad thing?" (other than the appearance issue) What have you learned? Thanks, Bob

Quick Reply: White Audi A8L: Black exhaust tip and carbon buildup around lower bumper