A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 Audi A8L Air Suspension Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Audi A8L Air Suspension Malfunction

I bought a CPO 2019 Audi A8L with 28,500 miles on it six weeks ago. Today, I get a error message on my dash stating "Air Suspension: malfunction! Contact Service" with the yellow car symbol. After driving to my destination, the symbol is now red. Front of the vehicle is clearly much lower than the rear. It appears the front wheels would rub if I continue to drive it further. I called the local Audi dealer's service department and they advise I have the vehicle towed to have it checked out. My car is now at the dealership and I am without a car for the weekend.

Anyone experienced this error message/malfunction before and what can I expect going forward? With it being a CPO, I have no doubt that it will get repaired but it sucks that it is such an inconvenience not having a car to drive especially with a lot of service departments not having loaner vehicles to lend out to customers.
Old 10-16-2022, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 241 Likes on 176 Posts

As a CPO, it will be fixed. Ask for a loaner car. To my knowledge, Audi will provide loaner cars to A8 customers. If the dealer is out of loaner cars, they can get you one from a rental company.
Old 10-16-2022, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

Welp. Pls report back with the root cause. Thank you and good luck w/ the repair
Old 10-17-2022, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

It becomes very obvious that after the CPO warranty expires we have some painful decisions to make. Ditch the cars or spend $3000-$4000 for another 3-4 years on a good extended warranty. At this paste, I can be around 75k-80k in 2024 so lots of juice left in it. Today I swapped to my winter tires (Michellin 19'' X-ice almost new) and boy such a huge difference. It is not an apple-to-apple comparison but still. It is a different car. Now I see that in fact my Goodyear Eagle 20'' "foamed" tires suck so bad and the air suspension doesn't do any good. It just passes the noise further and I have a continuous feeling that something is rattling in the front axle. When I drove the S-Class 2019 it wasn't that bad but with those OEM tires, A8 is lacking equal comfort. I hate to drive with them anymore and I will replace them next year with something that provides the same comfortable and quiet ride as those Michelin's. Hopefully, summer tires from the Michellin pilot family will do the trick as many here were pointing out.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by leomaestro
It becomes very obvious that after the CPO warranty expires we have some painful decisions to make. Ditch the cars or spend $3000-$4000 for another 3-4 years on a good extended warranty. At this paste, I can be around 75k-80k in 2024 so lots of juice left in it. Today I swapped to my winter tires (Michellin 19'' X-ice almost new) and boy such a huge difference. It is not an apple-to-apple comparison but still. It is a different car. Now I see that in fact my Goodyear Eagle 20'' "foamed" tires suck so bad and the air suspension doesn't do any good. It just passes the noise further and I have a continuous feeling that something is rattling in the front axle. When I drove the S-Class 2019 it wasn't that bad but with those OEM tires, A8 is lacking equal comfort. I hate to drive with them anymore and I will replace them next year with something that provides the same comfortable and quiet ride as those Michelin's. Hopefully, summer tires from the Michellin pilot family will do the trick as many here were pointing out.
S class also has RFTs, but comparing tires across different sizes is a lot of variables at an equation that is often poorly understood

Anyhow, I'm buying a 10 year extended warranty on my A8...

But that being said, extended warranties don't cover air struts. It's an excluded item...
Old 10-18-2022, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I understand that RFT's are known for not being quiet nor offering any more comfort than a traditional tire yet the ones on the S-Class are delivering the opposite of what those Goodyear Eagle Sport offer. Not sure why this tire has been chosen for A8 but I believe that choosing a performance summer tire from Michelin with a taller shoulder might improve the ride significantly.
As for the 10 years extended warranty who do you have in mind and what will cost?
Old 10-19-2022, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by leomaestro
I understand that RFT's are known for not being quiet nor offering any more comfort than a traditional tire yet the ones on the S-Class are delivering the opposite of what those Goodyear Eagle Sport offer. Not sure why this tire has been chosen for A8 but I believe that choosing a performance summer tire from Michelin with a taller shoulder might improve the ride significantly.
As for the 10 years extended warranty who do you have in mind and what will cost?
I'm buying mine directly from Audi Canada, and the cost is a function of coverage level, deductible, mileage at time of purchase, and mileage/time duration covered so YMMV.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Picked up my 2019 A8 today; service advisor stated that the front passenger air ride struts had a leak. They replaced that air ride strut and recalibrated the settings. He didn't give me a clear answer as to what could have caused the leak other than it could have been a defect, wear and tear (@ 28k miles?), or I hit a large pot hole (I don't recall hitting a pot hole). I'm glad to have the car back and hopefully I don't have any further issues other than bringing the car in for the next 10k mile service.

Old 07-04-2024, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello.
I have a 2019 A8L. The left front shock was replaced. I have tried to calibrate the vehicle but I got stuck on the security access code and I don’t know how I can get it. The vehicle is not going up on the front both side and I have a code C200300.
any help will be appreciated

Old 07-06-2024, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Glad they got your strut replaced and sorted.

Extended warranty is usually a good idea on these higher-end German cars if you plan to keep them long term.

Personally, I have decided that for my needs leasing makes more sense. I don't drive over my mileage limits and I love having a new car every 3 years. No repair bills ever.

Quick Reply: 2019 Audi A8L Air Suspension Malfunction