A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 A8 D5 Ride comfort.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for your replies/comments. The car was bought from the Audi dealer as an Approved Used car. Disappointingly,it was probably the least enjoyable car purchase i have had,but thats another story. Ive had numerous VW/VWCV/Skoda vehicles over the last 26 years,and all those buying experiences were much more pleasurable tbh.
To confirm,the tyres fitted are Avon ZV7 (rear),and Falken FK520 (front).
I definately subscribe to the fitment of matching tyres all around,as i believe they are all working together in exactly the same way,and have recently fitted 4 new Goodyear tyres to my 'weekend' VW Phaeton. As such,im not really in the market to spend £900 on 4 more 19" tyres just at the moment,although i would be interested to compare the difference.
Also just to add,having checked my data sticker for PR codes,it shows the 1BK code for the suspension,which is the non sport set up. This makes me think possibly a check by my local dealer may be worthwhile,just in case something needs looking at?
Im finding even motorway driving is showing all bumps and lumps,which ive found most surprising?
Again,thank you all for your replies,its very much appreciated.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by V6DKO
Thanks for your replies/comments. The car was bought from the Audi dealer as an Approved Used car. Disappointingly,it was probably the least enjoyable car purchase i have had,but thats another story. Ive had numerous VW/VWCV/Skoda vehicles over the last 26 years,and all those buying experiences were much more pleasurable tbh.
To confirm,the tyres fitted are Avon ZV7 (rear),and Falken FK520 (front).
I definately subscribe to the fitment of matching tyres all around,as i believe they are all working together in exactly the same way,and have recently fitted 4 new Goodyear tyres to my 'weekend' VW Phaeton. As such,im not really in the market to spend £900 on 4 more 19" tyres just at the moment,although i would be interested to compare the difference.
Also just to add,having checked my data sticker for PR codes,it shows the 1BK code for the suspension,which is the non sport set up. This makes me think possibly a check by my local dealer may be worthwhile,just in case something needs looking at?
Im finding even motorway driving is showing all bumps and lumps,which ive found most surprising?
Again,thank you all for your replies,its very much appreciated.
Is it the ride in general that's poor, or from one corner/side? I replaced everything to do with the air suspension on my Allroad so I wonder if it's not tyres whether one strut has gone flabby?
Old 03-15-2024, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

If you not sure about your car's smoothness - just go to any Audi dealer who has similar A8 and test drive it.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Torque450
Is it the ride in general that's poor, or from one corner/side? I replaced everything to do with the air suspension on my Allroad so I wonder if it's not tyres whether one strut has gone flabby?
Hi,its the ride in general that feels firmer than it should. There is no sign of the car not sitting level or losing air. Just to add,the mileage is only 30,000 miles.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aeggroup
If you not sure about your car's smoothness - just go to any Audi dealer who has similar A8 and test drive it.
That thought had crossed my mind tbh. Only issue with that is here in the UK you have to pre book and make an appointment for test drives these days. The good old days of just calling in and having a test drive are no longer,unfortunately.
I think im going to call my local dealer this week and get it booked in for a check over.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by V6DKO
That thought had crossed my mind tbh. Only issue with that is here in the UK you have to pre book and make an appointment for test drives these days. The good old days of just calling in and having a test drive are no longer,unfortunately.
I think im going to call my local dealer this week and get it booked in for a check over.
I was thinking about your issue when I was driving East to West in the UK (motorway one way, mostly A roads coming home). I

Three other thoughts -
1) Do you turn off the lane departure warning before each trip from the button on the end of the stalk? That can feel jiggly.
2) On faster A roads it can sometimes feel more planted in dynamic because the body isn't moving up and down as much
3) Audi offer predictive suspension on the A8 that reads the road ahead to adjust the damping effect. It works, but it makes you realise that they needed to offer it to give the best ride...

Old 03-17-2024, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

all 4 tires should be matched exactly, age/mileage and manufacturer/size/rating. The cars computer measures the wheel speed and dynamics hundreds of times per second while driving. it can affect and throw off everything. Multiple computers measuring many different sensors/variables they all work together in unison.
The following users liked this post:
DallasDave (05-23-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Torque450
I was thinking about your issue when I was driving East to West in the UK (motorway one way, mostly A roads coming home). I

Three other thoughts -
1) Do you turn off the lane departure warning before each trip from the button on the end of the stalk? That can feel jiggly.
2) On faster A roads it can sometimes feel more planted in dynamic because the body isn't moving up and down as much
3) Audi offer predictive suspension on the A8 that reads the road ahead to adjust the damping effect. It works, but it makes you realise that they needed to offer it to give the best ride...
Thanks for the reply. Ive tried turning the lane departure off on my way home today,and while it hasnt altered the ride,its definately better than with it switched on! Ive also put it in Dynamic mode,which i think has made a small improvement,so we're making some progress,which is a definate bonus.
Ive seen a Carwow review of an A8 with the predictive suspension,and it definately looked like it was worth having. Maybe something to look for next time perhaps?
The following users liked this post:
Torque450 (03-18-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Quick update on this. Booked it into my local Audi dealer last week. The tech that took the car out gave it a good drive,took it over various road surfaces,and his verdict was that there was no issues with the suspension itself. He did say that the S Line rides a little firmer than the standard model,but also thought the Falken/Avon tyre mix could be contributing. So...looks like we may be looking at tyres next. Thanks for your replies all,all much appreciated.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Could you test drive another vehicle yourself and compare the ride ? Why rely on technician's opinion in that matter ? Now you're going to spend "some" amount of money on new tires just to realize that the ride has not changed at all.
Please continue what you doing if the process brings you any pleasure

Quick Reply: 2020 A8 D5 Ride comfort.