A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This 2020 A8 (Long) is so luxurious! :o What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question This 2020 A8 (Long) is so luxurious! :o What do you think?

Mercedes S class, BMW 7 series, or this audi a8?

Old 11-05-2019, 06:07 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

That is the first time I ever heard of the rear seat footrest on the back of the front seat as another seating position for someone to join you for wine.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (11-06-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHA Noticed it too! Creative way to use a footrest
angrypengu (11-06-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

Did I see that correctly on the video...OD reading was 90,163 km???...That was one very used A8L--Scratches on the piano black trim and worn leather seat bolster. The guy really thinks someone is supposed to sit on the heated back seat footrest? Anyone can post these days I guess.
angrypengu (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 933 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Did I see that correctly on the video...OD reading was 90,163 km???...That was one very used A8L--Scratches on the piano black trim and worn leather seat bolster. The guy really thinks someone is supposed to sit on the heated back seat footrest? Anyone can post these days I guess.
The reviewer did a terrible job here, but what was very enlightening to me was to see how the D5 'aged' because you're right, that's a pretty high mileage car, especially for the age.

Was expecting 9000 errors in the dashboard when he 'turned on' ACC or Terminal 15 as we know it.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by angrypengu
The reviewer did a terrible job here, but what was very enlightening to me was to see how the D5 'aged' because you're right, that's a pretty high mileage car, especially for the age.

Was expecting 9000 errors in the dashboard when he 'turned on' ACC or Terminal 15 as we know it.

I’m hopeful that the D5’s MMI functionality will be durable over time. For all it’s other potential maintenance faults Audi has been pretty good in its MMI reliability from what I’ve seen and experienced. Aside from early D3 MMI issues, Audi seems to have learned their lessons well with pretty effective MMI R&D. As I said, I’m hopeful...
Old 11-06-2019, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I’m hopeful that the D5’s MMI functionality will be durable over time. For all it’s other potential maintenance faults Audi has been pretty good in its MMI reliability from what I’ve seen and experienced. Aside from early D3 MMI issues, Audi seems to have learned their lessons well with pretty effective MMI R&D. As I said, I’m hopeful...
Sorry. My comment was more directed at overall reliability.

Was expecting an air suspension failure, mild hybrid systemic failure, the car to not start, multiple check engine light codes etc 😂

I'm impressed so far to say the least!
Old 11-06-2019, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Sorry. My comment was more directed at overall reliability.

Was expecting an air suspension failure, mild hybrid systemic failure, the car to not start, multiple check engine light codes etc ��

I'm impressed so far to say the least!
IIRC you plan to keep your car for 10 years, so it’s entirely possible for some of that stuff to surface. And yeah, the mild hybrid system is a wild card for us at this point. I’m going for a 42 month lease, so everything will be covered at least...but there are still plenty of unknowns with all this technology.

Last edited by derfA8L; 11-06-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

IIRC you plan to keep your car for 10 years, so it’s entirely possible for some of that stuff to surface. And yeah, the mild hybrid system is a wild card for us at this point. I’m going for a 42 month lease, so everything will be covered at least.
Yeah, I hear you. I actually have a bad track record. I always treat things with the most care and respect and only go into buying more expensive things in life with the intent of keeping it forever. I ultimately change my mind (usually around the 7 year mark), and when I do it's a fast and about change such that, say, with my last car I traded in, it was in mint condition - even had a fresh layer of paint sealant, new tires (seriously), and everything in tip top mechanical shape.

It's hard for me to treat a car like many others treat theirs (utilitarian folks). It's a love affair, but anyways, while I'm sure I'll keep the D5 for a while, I am obviously buying extended warranty shortly. I prefer to set my bar low with things like reliability!

I've been very pleased with the D5's reliability thus far and it has far outweighed my expectations, so I must continue keeping the bar as low to the Earth's core as possible!
Old 11-07-2019, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 174 Likes on 132 Posts
Default "I am obviously buying extended warranty shortly."

Angry, If you are willing to share, I am very interested in the details of your extended warranty purchase when you get to that point. I have never considered one on any other cars (US and Japanese) and things have worked out fine, but for the A8 I am seeing that it appears to be the normal route based on complexity and high cost of parts/labor. Like you, I'm planning to own my 2020 A8 60 for many years...hopefully happy later years.

Quick Reply: This 2020 A8 (Long) is so luxurious! :o What do you think?