A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 s8 - 2nd electrical failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2020 s8 - 2nd electrical failure

Hi all, I know this seems to be a known fault on the d5s however curious if I may have a bigger issue on my hand. I have had this car for only a couple months, and today I had a total electrical failure for a second time. Within 20 mins the car was totally disabled and had to be towed to the dealer. This happened about a month ago and the dealer replaced parts relating to the alternator – however having this happen a second time is giving me a fairly strong inclination to move onto something different (or a newer S8) – certainly can't have a vehicle that may experience a total failure at any point in time. Curious anyone's thoughts on this happening twice?!
Old 05-08-2024, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by salvelinus
Hi all, I know this seems to be a known fault on the d5s however curious if I may have a bigger issue on my hand. I have had this car for only a couple months, and today I had a total electrical failure for a second time. Within 20 mins the car was totally disabled and had to be towed to the dealer. This happened about a month ago and the dealer replaced parts relating to the alternator – however having this happen a second time is giving me a fairly strong inclination to move onto something different (or a newer S8) – certainly can't have a vehicle that may experience a total failure at any point in time. Curious anyone's thoughts on this happening twice?!
There's a VIN by VIN recall campaign happening now. Get it swapped out, and you should be fine. The latest PN should fix things for good.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
There's a VIN by VIN recall campaign happening now. Get it swapped out, and you should be fine. The latest PN should fix things for good.
Thanks– is there a particular part/ part # I can hold service accountable to swapping in? Looking at the last receipt it seems they didn't full swap the units but simply replaced some belts?
Old 05-08-2024, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks– is there a particular part/ part # I can hold service accountable to swapping in? Looking at the last receipt it seems they didn't full swap the units but simply replaced some belts?
I don't have the full part number handy but there is a service campaign to replace the belt starter generator. The latest PN starts with 4N1. It's VIN specific right now. I'd have your SA check to see if your car has any open recalls in regards to the BSG. If it doesn't, insist that they replace the BSG and when they do they'll use the latest PN anyway. It should start with 4N1 on the work order
Old 05-08-2024, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
I don't have the full part number handy but there is a service campaign to replace the belt starter generator. The latest PN starts with 4N1. It's VIN specific right now. I'd have your SA check to see if your car has any open recalls in regards to the BSG. If it doesn't, insist that they replace the BSG and when they do they'll use the latest PN anyway. It should start with 4N1 on the work order
super helpful thanks!
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (05-08-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same electrical issue a few months after BSG replacement. Audi TAC suggested replacing the belt tensioner and belt. Im guessing that if they slip then you get a BSG mechanical failure code which opens the 48v battery protection.
I asked about when I could get the new designed BSG installed and they claim that the people that haven't had the issue get theirs' replaced first and by VIN next. They said the old design still lasts 2-3 years before failing, so if you got an old designed one installed recently then you are down the list compared to someone that hasn't had the issue yet that will fail soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rick Rodriguez:
angrypengu (05-09-2024), DallasDave (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Rick Rodriguez
I had the same electrical issue a few months after BSG replacement. Audi TAC suggested replacing the belt tensioner and belt. Im guessing that if they slip then you get a BSG mechanical failure code which opens the 48v battery protection.
I asked about when I could get the new designed BSG installed and they claim that the people that haven't had the issue get theirs' replaced first and by VIN next. They said the old design still lasts 2-3 years before failing, so if you got an old designed one installed recently then you are down the list compared to someone that hasn't had the issue yet that will fail soon.
This makes sense. I think I was the first D5 owner in Canada which is why mine was in the very first batch to be repaired? I'm hoping tomorrow's swap goes smoothly. It's been such a waste of brain cells wondering when this part was going to fail.