A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another new S8 owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 241 Likes on 176 Posts

Beautiful car! Happy Motoring!
The following users liked this post:
DallasDave (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 424 Likes on 302 Posts

Torque450 maybe you'll have better luck than me, lol. I was so worried that I would cut the hole too big, that I had to go back 2-3 times to trim things. When the mount arrives, notice that there is PLENTY of overlap side-to-side, take advantage of that. You'll need to push the mount in place and slide it towards the passenger side. The body clips simply keeps the mount from moving side to side, the mount's hooks keep it suspended above the trunk lid.
Old 05-11-2024, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
Now my back hurts, lol. Crawling in and out of the trunk is not an old man's job.

Here's what the item looked like prior to installation.

Man you just saved a $1000.00 doing it yourself...
Old 05-11-2024, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What do you mean? Did you actually get a quote from Audi, lol? Even with cutting multiple times, it took well under an hour.
Old 05-13-2024, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A couple of questions for the group. I searched the owner's manual and couldn't find the answers.

My ride has the five seat comfort package. One of the features in the rear seat controls/remote, is the ability to move the front passenger seat forward allowing for more rear seat legroom. In my old car, there was a button on each front door that disabled any kind of movement via the seat controls. It was located right next to the seat memory settings. What can be done to prevent one of my hooligan friends from sitting in the rear seat and moving the front passenger seat all the way to the dashboard WHILE there's a front seat passenger? My son did this over the weekend while my wife was in the front passenger seat, made for a rather awkward drive, lol. I do not want to disable all controls, which seems to be the only option in the MMI (something under Parental Controls, if I remember correctly).

When I use the integrated navigation and/or Google Maps via CarPlay, I have the same issue. The navigation instructions are too loud. This sounds simple, right? I have the announcement sound set to the lowest setting. Additionally, while the navigation is barking its command, I turn down the volume **** and the announcement gets lower...however this only stays that way until the next navigation command. Sometimes I don't even want any volume at all. I'll just simply keep an eye on the directions in the HUD and not need verbal commands. How do I accomplish this?
Old 05-13-2024, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

A couple of questions for the group. I searched the owner's manual and couldn't find the answers.

My ride has the five seat comfort package. One of the features in the rear seat controls/remote, is the ability to move the front passenger seat forward allowing for more rear seat legroom. In my old car, there was a button on each front door that disabled any kind of movement via the seat controls. It was located right next to the seat memory settings. What can be done to prevent one of my hooligan friends from sitting in the rear seat and moving the front passenger seat all the way to the dashboard WHILE there's a front seat passenger? My son did this over the weekend while my wife was in the front passenger seat, made for a rather awkward drive, lol. I do not want to disable all controls, which seems to be the only option in the MMI (something under Parental Controls, if I remember correctly).
AFAIUI, OBD11 is your only option. You'd have to key it to remove the capability or readd. Or, don't let your hooligan friends sit in your car
Old 05-14-2024, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I tried to install the Audi screen protectors today, what a waste of time and money. The part number was right, had it checked twice against my VIN. The top protector was too tall to fit properly, so I focused my attention on the bottom one. Like my iPhone screen protectors, I expected the Audi units to be virtually invisible. That is certainly not the case. They are cheaply made and looked terrible. Both went in the trash bin within a few minutes after installation.

Maybe I'll have better luck with the units from AliExpress. They should be here in a couple of weeks and I think they are glass, not the plastic stuff from Audi.
Old 05-14-2024, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Maybe I'll have better luck with the units from AliExpress. They should be here in a couple of weeks and I think they are glass, not the plastic stuff from Audi.
AliExpress are the better ones, but there is one issue with the lower screen installation. In order to install it correctly in place you need to take off the upper screen, which is not a big problem if you know how to do it.

Last edited by aeggroup; 05-14-2024 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well please share, lol. I may be able to figure it out on my own, but certainly wouldn't turn down some guidance.
Old 05-16-2024, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just installed the screen protectors from AliExpress. They are far superior to the Audi OEM ones and were easy to install...once all the dust/lint was removed. We will see if they are less prone to finger prints and how they hold up over the next few weeks. BTW, they also fit much better than the OEM ones too.
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (05-16-2024)

Quick Reply: Another new S8 owner