A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another new S8 owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
This is what I ordered based on AEGGROUP's recommendation: For Audi A8 S8A8L 2018 2019 2020 Car GPS navigation film LCD screen Tempered glass
Thanks. Will give them a go - a third of the price of the Amazon ones which didn't fit!

Last edited by Torque450; 05-19-2024 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-23-2024, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Now my back hurts, lol. Crawling in and out of the trunk is not an old man's job.

Here's what the item looked like prior to installation.

Thanks for posting 'how-to" photos. I took my time and it was all done in an hour.

For anyone else that wants to save a fortune by fitting yourself, some additional advice:-

1) You need an electric jig saw to cut the fibre board. A small manual hacksaw isn't up to the job. I drilled a few holes to get the saw started.
2) You have to adopt the mafia position (in the boot facing outwards) to slide the plastic moulding into the slots in the bulkhead.

Money and time well spent. Thanks DD
The following users liked this post:
DallasDave (05-23-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Torque450
Thanks. Will give them a go - a third of the price of the Amazon ones which didn't fit!
Fitted great, thanks. Another recommendation here! My tip would be to put the top edge of the sheet level with the top of the screen, then very gentle and gradually bring the sheet and screen closer together as it sticks as you 'drop it' onto the screen.
DallasDave (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 424 Likes on 302 Posts

I have kinda a funky smell when the AC initially comes on. Initially there was a strong "perfume like" smell, but I'm sure it's something the seller used to cover any/all non-pleasant odors. Now that the "perfume" odor has dissipated, the funky smell is evident. It has been a few weeks now and it's not as strong, but still exists. Any recommendations on what to do?

So far the car has been a "love/hate" situation. The odor, and a rattling steering wheel airbag, plus a few other issues still persist. The new airbag should be here in a couple of days and everything will be covered under warranty. Speaking of warranty work, I picked up the car on Tuesday after being at the dealership for a week. There were a few delays due to some crazy weather here in the Dallas area (hail storms, etc. - so all the custom cars were brought into the service area and no work was performed for those two days). There's still a noise coming from the "rotating assembly" under the hood. It sounds like a bad belt pulley bearing. The noise is easy to hear, so I don't know why it wasn't fixed during the oil change, but they did take care of the new key programming and recall work. When it goes back for the airbag replacement, it will be brought to their attention again. However, when I picked up the car on Tuesday I went straight home...about six miles. On Wednesday, I had off-site business meetings and so I departed my home around mid-morning. About ten miles into my commute, I received a suspension error and low tire pressure. Ahhhhhh! One tire had a nail and it was patched (15psi when I got to the tire shop). Another tire had a previous patch that was failing (33psi) and I was told that it is too close to the sidewall and couldn't be repaired (I assume the seller did whatever they needed to do to get it fixed long enough to sell the car). I also noticed that three of the tires are Pirelli P-Zero and one tire is a P-Zero Nero (without the PNCS). Damn it! I should have paid closer attention.

So when the airbag comes in, I'll be purchasing two new tires (~$900 installed) and have the engine noise looked at, again. They will also investigate the suspension error message that has now been gone for four days and almost 200 miles. I cannot help but think that somehow the crazy tire pressure scenario played a part in the error.

The paper license plate is still on it and I've spent $725 for a new key and programming, $150 for an oil change and $100 for a front end alignment. This week I will be spending more money purchasing two new tires for around $900. I am optimistic that once all this is resolved, I will be able to enjoy the car...but I sure am second-guessing myself right now. My 2016 S8 Plus had a few "bugs" when it was first purchased (CEL, etc.), but this new D5 is really trying my patience, lol.

Last edited by DallasDave; 06-05-2024 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-03-2024, 12:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 180 Likes on 122 Posts

Check cooling system for smell. Cracked hoses, reservoir, sensors, pump etc. Mine had the full cooling system replaced under warranty. Started with musky smell from HVAC and low coolant level.
Old 06-05-2024, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

I have kinda a funky smell when the AC initially comes on. Initially there was a strong "perfume like" smell, but I'm sure it's something the seller used to cover any/all non-pleasant odors. Now that the "perfume" odor has dissipated, the funky smell is evident. It has been a few weeks now and it's not as strong, but still exists. Any recommendations on what to do?

So far the car has been a "love/hate" situation. The odor, and a rattling steering wheel airbag, plus a few other issues still persist. The new airbag should be here in a couple of days and everything will be covered under warranty. Speaking of warranty work, I picked up the car on Tuesday after being at the dealership for a week. There were a few delays due to some crazy weather here in the Dallas area (hail storms, etc. - so all the custom cars were brought into the service area and no work was performed for those two days). There's still a noise coming from the "rotating assembly" under the hood. It sounds like a bad belt pulley bearing. The noise is easy to hear, so I don't know why it wasn't fixed during the oil change, but they did take care of the new key programming and recall work. When it goes back for the airbag replacement, it will be brought to their attention again. However, when I picked up the car on Tuesday I went straight home...about six miles. On Wednesday, I had off-site business meetings and so I departed my home around mid-morning. About ten miles into my commute, I received a suspension error and low tire pressure. Ahhhhhh! One tire had a nail and it was patched (15psi when I got to the tire shop). Another tire had a previous patch that was failing (33psi) and I was told that it is too close to the sidewall and couldn't be repaired (I assume the seller did whatever they needed to do to get it fixed long enough to sell the car). I also noticed that three of the tires are Pirelli P-Zero and one tire is a P-Zero Nero (without the PNCS). Damn it! I should have paid closer attention.

So when the airbag comes in, I'll be purchasing two new tires (~$900 installed) and have the engine noise looked at, again. They will also investigate the suspension error message that has now been gone for four days and almost 200 miles. I cannot help but think that somehow the crazy tire pressure scenario played a part in the error.

The paper license plate is still on it and I've spent $725 for a new key and programming, $150 for an oil change and $100 for a front end alignment. This week I will be spending more money purchasing two new tires for around $900. I am optimistic that once all this is resolved, I will be able to enjoy the car...but I sure am second-guessing myself right now. My 2016 S8 Plus had a few "bugs" when it was first purchased (CEL, etc.), but this new D5 is really trying my patience, lol.
If it makes you feel better I purchased a brand new $154k S8 with virtually option. Car now has 1600 miles on it in roughly a month.

-Adaptive light error came on and went away
-Pre-sense light came on and went away
-While driving down the highway hit some debris which took out the passenger side headlight washer cap and put 2 dents that PDR thankfully removed in the passenger side door
-Transmission is mostly smooth but on occasion it has a slight delay in up-shift from 2nd to 3rd

Dealer says everything is fine and normal LMAO. It is what it is, 99% of the time the car is super smooth and I love it. On the other hand one of my other cars is a 992 Turbo S, never had error lights and runs perfect every time with nearly 12k miles on it that I put on in roughly 18 months. I did have an issue with a starter relay where it had to be towed to dealer but it was quick fix.
DallasDave (06-06-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 424 Likes on 302 Posts

It's been three weeks since my last post, so I figured I was due for an update. Had a great road trip last week and put about 800 miles on the new D5. This was after getting the airbag replaced (no more rattles) and the two new tires. Wow, so smooth and a healthy dose of power. It was a great trip.

I still have a strange noise from the front of the engine (the rotating assembly) that I thought was gone, but noticed it yesterday when I pulled in the driveway. I will attempt to post the video to see if anyone has some suggestions as the dealership has seen it twice and has yet to figure out where the noise is coming from. They have replaced a couple of parts, but as soon as the car gets warm the noise reappears.

Anyway, I'm starting to get familiar with the new ride and liking it more & more.

Last edited by DallasDave; 06-29-2024 at 05:49 PM.