A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AU: Excessive fuel consumption.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 10:59 PM
ukh
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AU: Excessive fuel consumption.

Hello Audi A8 fans. My 1st post here.
Thanks for all the contributors. I am enjoying this forum all the way from Australia - where there is a 50% markup for all decent cars - but that's another story.

I have only had my car for a few weeks, but it seems fuel consumption is poor - certainly worse than my recent D4 4.2l Diesel.
My situation is exacerbated by the fact that many of my trips are 10 minutes in traffic.My driving style does not help...
Currently seeing 6.5 km / litre ( 15mpg for countries not ready for metric).

I know diesel is better than petrol for economy, but I would have thought 7+ years of progress and a battery would have improved this..

Thanks for your feedback.

Here are the details of the car - and the RRP (Aust $)

A8 55 3.0L TSFI Plus Quattro Sedan (Demo)

Moonlight Blue Metallic

Saiga Beige Interior

Inlays -Walnut Natural

Full Leather Package(only available when ordered in combination with Premium plus package)

The following items are upholstered in fine Nappa leather with decorative stitching:

• Lower dashboard including glove compartment

• Door trims including door pockets and seat trims including backrest covers of front seats and head restraint linings front and rear

Premium Plus

• 20” alloy wheels in 10-spoke parallel design, contrasting grey, partly polished

• Adaptive windscreen wipers with integrated washer jets

• Chrome exterior package - additional chrome highlights in front & rear bumpers and chrome inlays in door handles

• Colour interior lighting package including ambient lighting with 30 selectable colours and 6 colour profiles

• Control buttons, black, in glass look with haptic feedback including extended aluminium look

• Digital TV reception

• Electric sunblinds for rear window and rear door windows

• Extended leather package including centre console, door armrests, airbag cover on steering wheel, upper dashboard and door rails in fine Nappa leather

• Premium air quality with ionisation - choice of 2 high-quality fragrances and 4 different intensities depending on personal preference • Privacy glass - dark tinted rear and rear side windows

• Rear comfort head restraints

• Seat ventilation and massage function for front seats - includes perforated leather upholstery

RRP: $231,298

Old 07-27-2019, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

Doesn't seem that off to me. Your MPG figures are more in line to mine when I first started driving the D5. Now I'm closer to the EPA's figure which is 19mpg city.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...n=sbs&id=40942

The D5 is a big heavy car, and it isn't even lighter (in fact it's heavier) than the D4. The best way to maximize fuel mileage in the D5 is to take it slow, and if not at least slow, than gradual. What I mean by this is that if you really want to maximize fuel mileage for whatever reason, drive the car like if you had a VIP in the back. Brake early, and for a longer duration then versus for a short duration and hard. Why? This way it keeps the battery's SOC (state of charge) at a level above 50% (between 50-70%) so when you go and accelerate the BSG does a lot of heavy lifting.

The reason you want to brake for a longer duration although with the pedal not as depressed into the floor is because there is a maximum amount of current (>100Amps) that can be 'saved' from energy recuperation. If you brake above that threshold that energy is being wasted and converted to heat, which doesn't help things.

I find that even in stop and go traffic with the start stop system off I can get around 19mpg these days. When the car was new, I was getting around 14mpg.

That said when I do get 19mpg, I'm not really trying either as fuel economy isn't something I concern myself with - it's just a fascinating game to me of getting better than 2mpg in a ~ 2.5 ton car....

Gas will always be gas. Or, petrol in your instance
Old 07-29-2019, 03:04 AM
ukh
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Angry
I similarly don't actually care about fuel economy - that is not why we buy such cars. I was simply disappointed at the lack of progress over last 7yrs with regards to efficiency.
In all other regards, the D5 is clearly a huge step up from the D4.
Now I just wish the local regulators will permit more of the capabilities to function in Australia. I thought about the OBDeleven, but I have been clearly informed that this would void my extended warranty.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ukh
Thanks Angry
I thought about the OBDeleven, but I have been clearly informed that this would void my extended warranty.
I simply cannot comment about Australia's legislation, or perhaps even lack thereof, of automakers or extended warranty providers voiding warranty due to aftermarket changes (here in Canada, and I believe in the US, they cannot void warranty on this sole reason alone) because I don't know what they are. Please just note, though, that with software based modification tools like OBD11, if you are really worried about this, you can always manually switch everything back to 'stock' prior to returning a car to a dealer/mechanic for repair.

While this may sound 'scary' and lengthy to do, it really isn't. General rule of thumb is that if it takes you 5 minutes total to make 15 modifications in the first place, it'll take you the same time (5 minutes) to switch everything back. If you don't write down the changes you do as you do them, you can manually go back and figure out what you've done (there is a somewhat neat logging tool) but you can expect it to then take you, say, twice as long. That said, it's trivial and I've done a LOT of modifications. If I were to switch them all back, I suspect it'll take me <15 minutes!

Last edited by angrypengu; 07-29-2019 at 03:31 AM.
ukh (08-01-2019)
Old 03-12-2024, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I just bought an A8 D5 55 TFSI, 2022, 340 HP and I notice that the fuel consumption in the city is around 22 L / 100 km.
I drove very slowly, decently I would say, and yet I have this huge consumption.
The car has 23,000 km. Am I doing something wrong?
Or it just depends on the fact that I drive this car around town for relatively short distances.
Thanks
Old 03-12-2024, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I am very surprised that the D5 with the six cylinder 3.0 TFSI in tandem with the BSG system at best matches the gas mileage I routinely achieve in my D4 S8 Plus, a 4.0tt rated at 605 HP. My normal driving routine is roughly 50% secondary roads, 40% highway, and 10% stop and go. I have achieved 29 MPG on strictly highway driving when trying for mileage in a car that has overwhelming acceleration. I don’t drive with mileage in mind, and I don’t have stop/start on my car.

But I do have cylinder on demand, and I think that is the reason for my mileage figures. I must admit that I was apprehensive about COD when I purchased my car, but it turned out to be absolutely seamless and the indicated gas mileage on the trip computer during cruising is spectacular. When I first read about the mild hybrid BSG that was to be available in the D5, I couldn’t wait to see what the results would be when teamed up with COD in the new EA 825 4,0tt. I already knew what would happen after getting up to speed, and it seemed to me that adding the mild hybrid boost would produce impressive gas mileage. So it would be good to hear from some D5 S8 owners as to just how well that worked out. Mike

TSCHELARU (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
I So it would be good to hear from some D5 S8 owners as to just how well that worked out. Mike
Hi.
I have 2021 A8 with 8 cyl engine, which is almost the same as S8. My highway mileage usually is about 28-30MPG. City (NYC) is about 12MPG, but I always shut down start/stop feature.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I can easily get 31-34mpg on my A8 if I drive like a normal person.
Old 03-12-2024, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

I generally average 16mpg/city and 29mpg/ highway (70+ mph average), and at times reach just over 30mpg.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
I believe in the US, they cannot void warranty on this sole reason alone) because I don't know what they are.

Please just note, though, that with software based modification tools like OBD11, if you are really worried about this, you can always manually switch everything back to 'stock' prior to returning a car to a dealer/mechanic for repair.
Not sure I understand. I know I don't have to use say Audi oil and air filters to keep the warranty. My understanding, and I might be wrong is that you can. If you change the OBD2 code and say your infotainment system fries, they can't simply refuse to honor the warranty. OTOH, if you alter the ECM program in order to get more boost and your transmission fails, that could be a different story. IOW, I could say "Because you made the boost higher, you got more power but it stressed the transmission BEYOND WHAT I DESIGNED IT TO DO.".

Can you do it without leaving a trace? I thought it keeps a counter of the writes to the ECM? IOW if the ECM was written to 3 times, we know the first time was from the factory. How would you explain the other two times?

Quick Reply: AU: Excessive fuel consumption.