A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi predictive suspension (AI) vs air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 174 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Fascinating development here. Audi Canada allows for predictive suspension as a standalone option on the A8 55 TFSI. I guess I'll need to go and drive one to see what I have been missing out.

That said, IIRC $8K CAD. Great timing too because I read on the W222 S class forums that Magic Body Control (their equivalent of this predictive suspension) doesn't work at night - which, I mean, I should have been smart enough to realize this and that the same must be true of the D5. So these long Canadian winters with an early evening means that predictive suspension probably wouldn't work (over speed bumps anyway) for a large chunk of my driving

So is it worth $8k? No clue - I mean, it won't be able to see speed bumps at night but a reduction in body roll may be worth it? Although because predictive suspension adds the VH3/active cooling ducts/feature for the 48V battery I'm not so sure the increased wear/tear on that battery is worth it.

Then again I've come to grips with the $1600 USD 48V battery (it was $3600 USD when the D5 first came out). At this point I'm tired of going above and beyond so will stop thinking about it and just pay for it when I need to. Life's too short.
Night driving! Of course. How could I have been so "blind" about this limitation based upon how the system works. I initially waited to order until I could get this option.......then, along the way, I saw the video with the developing engineer saying that it doesn't help with potholes. Ouch....end of seeing any value for my use...so I did not order it. Add together the limitations, including the 48V battery wear/tear plus $$$ to get it, and the value is just not there.

But I still applaud Audi for pushing the boundaries on improving the performance of their automobiles.

And my D5 ride is so, so fine. I feel like I am entering a different, pampering world every time I close the door to take a ride.

The following 3 users liked this post by MorganMay:
angrypengu (05-20-2020), gk1 (05-20-2020), nashdm2 (08-17-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine does the raising upon entry, however, I'm not seeing/feeling any benefit over bumps or rough roads.

i have gone to the menu and tried the different settings for "Road ahead: level correction" from Off, Light and Strong. My manual also mentions a colored cone is displayed when the function is activated.

My issue is that I haven't felt the difference in the three settings, nor have I ever seen this 'cone'. How can I be sure that this system is working?

I've only had my car for 5 days and less than 300 miles on the clock.

thanks to y'all.

Hank

Last edited by HankJ; 08-17-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Question Predictive Air Suspension

My car is equipped with the Sports Package Plus which includes the all-wheel steering and the predictive air suspension.

Love the all-wheel steering, but question the predictiveness of the suspension. Seems like a good air suspension set up, but no advantage on speed bumps nor bumpy roads.

The following users liked this post:
Spock1234 (09-20-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Barely perceptible difference on speed bumps.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Yeah, that just means your vehicle doesn't have the predictive suspension, as does no one's car on this forum thus far!
Mine does.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HankJ
My car is equipped with the Sports Package Plus which includes the all-wheel steering and the predictive air suspension.

Love the all-wheel steering, but question the predictiveness of the suspension. Seems like a good air suspension set up, but no advantage on speed bumps nor bumpy roads.

Any new owners out here with this feature? If so, what are your thoughts and experiences?

thanks.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had my 2021 S8 about two weeks and agree that predictive suspension barely noticible on large sized (i.e. destroy your car/suspension) speed bumps that we get here in London. However when you go over at a nominal speed on smaller size bumps - the car does magically "jump" over them, smoothing over the ride. Seems to work best around 10-20 mph in daylight. There is much less of an effect with depressed roads/potholes, however I haven't yet tried the deep functionality. Of all the driving modes (comfort+ vs. dynamic), you can also choose the suspension height that you would like from 5 settings.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by audishinlondon
I've had my 2021 S8 about two weeks and agree that predictive suspension barely noticible on large sized (i.e. destroy your car/suspension) speed bumps that we get here in London. However when you go over at a nominal speed on smaller size bumps - the car does magically "jump" over them, smoothing over the ride. Seems to work best around 10-20 mph in daylight. There is much less of an effect with depressed roads/potholes, however I haven't yet tried the deep functionality. Of all the driving modes (comfort+ vs. dynamic), you can also choose the suspension height that you would like from 5 settings.
Pls keep in mind that the active portion of this suspension does not do anything for depressed roads/potholes.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

SQ8 here, but SG talks about and SHOWS the predictive suspension components (in the shop)

The following users liked this post:
gk1 (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 11:34 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

I did not think the SQ8 had predictive active suspension, I thought it was still exclusive to A8/S8. Is it available on the SQ8 RoW?
I saw the active roll bars, but I didn't see the predictive active suspension pieces....did I miss it?

Quick Reply: Audi predictive suspension (AI) vs air suspension